PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Free Agency / Draft Curve Ball by BB??

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may, however, be willing to part with A.J. Green. I don't think they're going to re-sign him and he has a high cap number.
Agree I Use to love Green if we can salvage the last 2 years of his career at a good number I'm a all for it.
Prefer Boyd at this part in his career.I don't know how so many teams missed on him.

Well according to Lombardi Michael Belichick targets first year head coaches so I would look at Kingsbury Cardinals
Taylor Bengals
Packers
These will be some of the rosters BB will slice thru like a cheetah taking the tripping gazelle.
Hopefully those coaches / gms aren’t reading this....

Agree I Use to love Green if we can salvage the last 2 years of his career at a good number I'm a all for it.
Prefer Boyd at this part in his career.I don't know how so many teams missed on him.

If we trade for him, we'll be paying $12M.

Green is great but hurt every year.

Jones, Hightower, Thuney, Mitchell, Jackson, Andrews, Roberts, and others all contributed as starters or key rotational players during their rookie seasons.

Jones/Hightower were first round picks....and should be expected to contribute off the bat...especially on defense.

Mitchell got dinged up early in pre-season and didn't really start to come on until Superbowl 51, IMO. He is actually the best rookie receiver Brady ever had, IMO.

Jackson...UDFA...and on defense.

Thuney good call...but not a skill position.

Andrews did well, but we opted to go with Bryan Stork over him during the playoffs though.

Roberts...on defense...and not a skill position.

----------------

I should have reworded my post to read, "Rookie offensive skill position players" because I was trying to convey that we should be going after veterans to load up at WR. It is easier than bringing a rookie up to speed. The college to pro transition is harder for WR's, TE's, and QB's than it is for RB/OL/Defensive players, IMO. For the latter, it's mostly a speed adjustment....but for WR/TE/QB's....a lot of moving parts.

This makes sense.

I should have reworded my post to read, "Rookie offensive skill position players" because I was trying to convey that we should be going after veterans to load up at WR. It is easier than bringing a rookie up to speed. The college to pro transition is harder for WR's, TE's, and QB's than it is for RB/OL/Defensive players, IMO. For the latter, it's mostly a speed adjustment....but for WR/TE/QB's....a lot of moving parts.

Just in terms of receiving, rather than blocking or anything else...

Rookie WRs who, because of either talent or need, were important contributors in their rookie seasons:

Dobson
Thompkins
Branch
Edelman

Rookie TEs who, because of either talent or need, were important contributors in their rookie seasons:

Hernandez
Gronk

Rookie TE who, because of either talent or need, would almost certainly have been an important contributor in his rookie season, had he not gotten injured:

Benjamin Watson

Personally, I'm hoping for a blend of both veterans and draftees.

If we trade for him, we'll be paying $12M.
They need to free up some damn cap space. All of these hypothetical scenarios are making me salivate. :)

Bill Bellichick is the master dumpster diver. He takes obscure players like Kyle Van Noy and turns them into very good starters. (Who were the two DE's he rescued from the scrap heap 5-10 years ago? Andre Carter & Brian ______)

On the other hand, if such players demand top dollar, they will rarely receive it here and will go somewhere else and under perform and almost look silly.

Oh and many of our assistant coaches follow a similar pattern.

“If we can salvage the last two years of his career?”

You’re talking like he’s some type of has-been. The dude was on pace for like, 90 catches/1350 yards/11 touchdowns or something through 9 games before he hurt his toe. He almost had a 1,000 yard season a couple of years ago in TEN games. Lol.

Put a big, physical threat like AJ Green in this offense and he’d be a game changer. Those would be two high quality years before his career is over. Of course, they’re probably hoping that there’s a chance that Josh Gordon gives them a portion of that at a much cheaper cost, but we all know the risk in that.

They need to free up some damn cap space. All of these hypothetical scenarios are making me salivate. :)

Looking at the contracts, this will seem pretty easy.

Brady, McCourty, Allen, Harmon, Gronk, Clayborne, Hightower. And there's more.

Off the top of my head it looks like they can create 30 - 40 million more cap, if they feel like it.

Would you offer up a late round pick for Bortles?
Since we were reportedly high on him coming out of the draft?
Say swapping picks like a 6th for a 7th and Bortles?
Or would you rather draft a QB?
Never forget

Bill Bellichick is the master dumpster diver. He takes obscure players like Kyle Van Noy and turns them into very good starters. (Who were the two DE's he rescued from the scrap heap 5-10 years ago? Andre Carter & Brian ______)

On the other hand, if such players demand top dollar, they will rarely receive it here and will go somewhere else and under perform and almost look silly.

Oh and many of our assistant coaches follow a similar pattern.

BB's a master dumpster diver?? How about cat quickness dumpster diving.:D

Last edited:
Would you offer up a late round pick for Bortles?
Since we were reportedly high on him coming out of the draft?
Say swapping picks like a 6th for a 7th and Bortles?
Or would you rather draft a QB?
Never forget
He’s due $16 million in new money. Nobody is trading for him.

I think the other thing we have to look at is who is on the schedule. He seems to tailor the off-season pick ups based on who is needed to stop the teams they will be playing. (think back to 2014 and the addition of Browner and Revis vs. the games premier passers) I look at teams like NYG and Dallas and think they will run the ball, so he will probably go get a run stopper or two. Ravens, Browns, Chiefs and Texans have young QB's who can move, so there maybe someone there to be a QB spy?

I'd rather sign Donte Montcrief for pennies on the dollar vs giving up picks and cash for Beckham.
Montcrief may be interested in a prove it deal.

Stork
JC Jackson
Mason
Malcom Brown
Ryan
Collins

Etc etc

The idea that rookies don’t start or contribute heavily is ridiculous. There’s 1-3 every year. Fewer then on some other teams, and some guys do get worked in slowly, but plenty of them have been 8-16 game starters as rookies or key role players

My favorite recent draft class was 2012: Chandler Jones, Donta Hightower, Alfonzo Dennard, and Nate Ebner all contributed their first year. And of course, the immortal Jake Bequette was in that class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes