PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Free Agency / Draft Curve Ball by BB??

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 NFL Draft Profile: Solomon Thomas

Thomas has been a disappointment as an EDGE rusher in the first two years of his career. He was universally regarded as a top 3-5 talent in the draft & was a stud rushing inside in college. He also hasn’t had an easy go at it in his personal life that could be impacting his on field play.

I’m not sure the 49ers would give up on him after two years but there is little doubt BB would make much better use of a player with his skill set. The Pats & the 49ers under Lynch have been busy with trades recently.

I don't believe BB has a "fixed strategy" per se....it is just us looking under all rocks for value anywhere.

Historically, we never get much from rookies....Michel is the only rookie that has really contributed right off the bat in YEARS...or at least that I can remember.

And we are almost definitely loading up on receivers again....and rookie receivers just don't contribute right off the bat...so I think we go the veteran route there (e.g. Golden Tate).....any young receivers in years 4/5 that have underachieved?

Do you only consider skilled positions? Because we have gotten plenty out of rookies on the O line over the past several years with last year being an exception.

Yup, it's why I asked if there are any 3rd/4th/5th year receivers still on their rookie contracts on those teams with new HC's?

Can't think of any right off the top of my head.....
John Ross

Thomas has been a disappointment as an EDGE rusher in the first two years of his career. He was universally regarded as a top 3-5 talent in the draft & was a stud rushing inside in college. He also hasn’t had an easy go at it in his personal life that could be impacting his on field play.

I’m not sure the 49ers would give up on him after two years but there is little doubt BB would make much better use of a player with his skill set. The Pats & the 49ers under Lynch have been busy with trades recently.

Oh for sure.. great example of a team that would be crazy to exercise the 5th year option given his performance so far!

Stork
JC Jackson
Mason
Malcom Brown
Ryan
Collins

Etc etc

The idea that rookies don’t start or contribute heavily is ridiculous. There’s 1-3 every year. Fewer then on some other teams, and some guys do get worked in slowly, but plenty of them have been 8-16 game starters as rookies or key role players

David Andrews, Gronk.. always seems every year that BB will take a chance on Rookies and work them in thoughout the year.. that is what drives me nutz about the Red Sox..

Do you only consider skilled positions? Because we have gotten plenty out of rookies on the O line over the past several years with last year being an exception.

Skill positions are what I remember the best. And also the toughest ones for a rookie to transition into....except for maybe RB.

But yeah, I forgot Thuney....

I look for a couple of rookies who contribute by midseason, in time to be part of the playoff run. This year the two were Michel and Jackson.

I also expect 2 sophomores to contribute. This year we will have Wynn and Bentley. We also could get contributions from Dawson, Crossen, Izzo, or Berrios, but that is more problematic.
========
I would also say that Bentley contributed right off the bat in 2018.
======
2017 Wise
2016 Thuney
2015 Mason and M Brown
=======
BOTTOM LINE
2018 was a very good year for patriot rookies.

I don't believe BB has a "fixed strategy" per se....it is just us looking under all rocks for value anywhere.

Historically, we never get much from rookies....Michel is the only rookie that has really contributed right off the bat in YEARS...or at least that I can remember.

And we are almost definitely loading up on receivers again....and rookie receivers just don't contribute right off the bat...so I think we go the veteran route there (e.g. Golden Tate).....any young receivers in years 4/5 that have underachieved?

Last edited:

How about a guy named Malcolm Butler?

Well according to Lombardi Michael Belichick targets first year head coaches so I would look at Kingsbury Cardinals
Taylor Bengals
Packers
These will be some of the rosters BB will slice thru like a cheetah taking the tripping gazelle.

But please, please, please . . . NOT THE JETS!!!!!!!

I’d love to see him here. I’m not sure he really fitted that 49ers scheme unless it’s changed during the season.

Would we give a 3rd up for him?

I’d love to see him here. I’m not sure he really fitted that 49ers scheme unless it’s changed during the season.

God I hope not. A 3rd rounder would be for someone that’s already proven he can produce in this league. Thomas at this point is a flyer. I would hope the deal would look more like Thomas + niners 6th rounder for our 5th rounder. Basically a cash dump for SF.

Would you?

Stork
JC Jackson
Mason
Malcom Brown
Ryan
Collins

Etc etc

The idea that rookies don’t start or contribute heavily is ridiculous. There’s 1-3 every year. Fewer then on some other teams, and some guys do get worked in slowly, but plenty of them have been 8-16 game starters as rookies or key role players

Hightower
Chandler Jones

Jones, Hightower, Thuney, Mitchell, Jackson, Andrews, Roberts, and others all contributed as starters or key rotational players during their rookie seasons.

This is an interesting idea. Good post.

I remember reading about Thomas's sister. What a tragic story...poor guy.

I don't think they would trade him unfortunately but I wouldn't hesitate to give a second.

They may, however, be willing to part with A.J. Green. I don't think they're going to re-sign him and he has a high cap number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes