PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 4th Round Pick - WR Javon Baker

Baker is a tough kid from ATL who used sports to escape the day to day in some parts of this country. Big time recruit which you always want. Was at Alabama before being lost in the shuffle there.

Baker is a prototype Z with X upside if he works on his efficiency on the los and catch point against bigger corners. Natural flanker in wco. He's got very good pacing to his routes imo. That's actually how he wins most of the time. With good pacing and baiting his man before the top of his route/breaks. He could be faster and more efficient here. Doesnt break off his routes as crisp as he could. Good job setting up his defender at the top of routes for the most part. He's got the ability to separate in the pros for sure. Plus vision whether it's on screens or in-route he's able to see what's around him for space, bodies and use that to his advantage. See some good yac off his game, again good vision and awareness. Would thrive with more PA added with his routes imo. He's really able to use things like that to his advantage. He has to tighten up his hands when the ball is closer to him. Not sure if he gets distracted but his hands are inconsistent at the catch point at times. Could tighten up his path post-catch and just take efficiency > chance at a big play. Can take a hit and keep going, good contact balance. Good blocker overall but has to make first contact more and not drop his head so easy.

He's got some issues but I love the value here. On the ptp board. This is a good pick boys. WR2 upside with the possibility of a top 20 season if he really hits. Let's go.

I like this pick too. Very Packers-esque. Good to give Maye a few young receivers to grow with. Hopefully he'll develop a connection with at least one of them. Also hopefully means JuJu is gone. You would imagine Bourne, Douglas, Polk, Baker, Osbourne are roster locks.

Here's what BGC said in his WR thread, when talking about the best WR's in the draft:

Baker will probably be on my list too.
I think one of him, Rice, McMillan, Polk will be a nep. We have ties to the UW wrs and basically have a real need at every spot there.

Kind of nailed that one!
Not bad, I still got it.

Can we get a Bill & Ted “excellent!”

Here's what BGC said in his WR thread, when talking about the best WR's in the draft:

Baker will probably be on my list too.
I think one of him, Rice, McMillan, Polk will be a nep. We have ties to the UW wrs and basically have a real need at every spot there.

Kind of nailed that one!
Wow BGC!

Baker is a tough kid from ATL who used sports to escape the day to day in some parts of this country. Big time recruit which you always want. Was at Alabama before being lost in the shuffle there.

Baker is a prototype Z with X upside if he works on his efficiency on the los and catch point against bigger corners. Natural flanker in wco. He's got very good pacing to his routes imo. That's actually how he wins most of the time. With good pacing and baiting his man before the top of his route/breaks. He could be faster and more efficient here. Doesnt break off his routes as crisp as he could. Good job setting up his defender at the top of routes for the most part. He's got the ability to separate in the pros for sure. Plus vision whether it's on screens or in-route he's able to see what's around him for space, bodies and use that to his advantage. See some good yac off his game, again good vision and awareness. Would thrive with more PA added with his routes imo. He's really able to use things like that to his advantage. He has to tighten up his hands when the ball is closer to him. Not sure if he gets distracted but his hands are inconsistent at the catch point at times. Could tighten up his path post-catch and just take efficiency > chance at a big play. Can take a hit and keep going, good contact balance. Good blocker overall but has to make first contact more and not drop his head so easy.

He's got some issues but I love the value here. On the ptp board. This is a good pick boys. WR2 upside with the possibility of a top 20 season if he really hits. Let's go.

Re: top 10: which #1?

#2 running and diving across midfield w catch. Phenomenal

Javon Baker let’s go!

So who’s in danger of losing a spot?
Boutte? Thornton? Shuster?
All 3?

Gonna be interesting in camp. Can't cut the 2 rookies. Pop is secure. Osborne and Bourne are probably safe... Pressure is on for Juju, Boutte, TT.

Of course injuries can always change things, but it looks like there'll be a strong battle not just for roster spots but pecking order.

Can we get a Bill & Ted “excellent!”
Be Excellent Keanu Reeves GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

IMO Ju-Ju is definitely gone and Thornton, Boutte, and maybe even Osbourn are on the bubble.
Will they keep 6 wr? Maybe a trade. Fir flyer picks next year. Thornton will probably get another year unless he still sucks.

Boutte and jj are gone

this kid can shake ‘n Bake’

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back