PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Maybe we should have one thread to gather all info about the new Patriots
(that don't have their threads out already)

Draft picks:

#95 Derek Rivers, DE/OLB, Youngstown (3/83) -- link: Meet Derek Rivers!

#63 Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy (3/85) -- link: Patriots draft Antonio Garcia OT @ No. 85

#91 Deatrich Wise, DL, Arkansas (4/113) -- link: Welcome to the Pats Deatrich Wise.

#67 Conor McDermott, OT, UCLA (6/211) -- link: OT Conor McDermott - 6th rd pick

current UDFA class:

2 great quick overviews of most UDFAs:
link: Who’s The FA? UDFA! (2017 Edition)
link: Post Draft Scouting Report: The UDFA’s | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2017 NFL Draft

overview of great DB udfa class:
link: Sorting through Patriots’ undrafted rookie defensive backs

#39 LeShun Daniels, RB, Iowa --

#84 Austin Carr, WR, Northwestern -- link: Official 2017 UDFA Thread

#81 Cody Hollister, WR, Arkansas -- link: Official 2017 UDFA Thread

#48 Jacob Hollister, TE, Wyoming -- link: Official 2017 UDFA Thread

#85 Sam Cotton, TE, Nebraska -- link: Sam Cotton

#72 Max Rich, OT, Harvard -- link: Max Rich - 11441 | Draft Analyst

#70 Cole Croston, OL, Iowa --

#76 Andrew Jelks, OT, Vanderbilt -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

#74 Jason King, OG, Purdue -- link: 2017 NFL Draft Profile: Jason King

#72 Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri --

#70 Adam Butler, DL, Vanderbilt -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

#48 Harvey Langi, LB, BYU -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

#47 Brooks Ellis, LB, Arkansas -- link: Patriots roster breakdown: LB Brooks Ellis

#34 David Jones, FS, Richmond -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

#45 Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

#26 Jason Thompson, S, Utah -- link: Patriots roster breakdown: SS Jason Thompson

#27 Dwayne Thomas, DB, LSU -- link: Patriots roster breakdown: SS Dwayne Thomas

#42 Kenny Moore, CB, Valdosta -- link: Patriots roster breakdown: CB Kenny Moore II

#29 D.J. Killings, CB, Centr Florida -- link: Patriots roster breakdown: CB D.J. Killings
#33 William Likely, CB, Maryland -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

_____

New signings (after OTAs)

Caleb Kidder, DE, Montana -- link: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

_____

IR
Corey Vereen, ED, Tennessee

tried out / not signed
Josh Gable, K, Nebraska IFL -- tryout
Anthony Williams, LB, Utah St --
Rodney Butler, LB, New Mexico -- tryout
Abner Logan, LB, Albany -- tryout
D.J. Dean, CB, Arkansas --
Brian Riley, WR, San Diego -- tryout
Brock Davies, Pueblo -- tryout /6'1, 257, played DL/ST, ex-rugby/

_____

__

UPDATED: 7/26 -- (21 udfas officially signed)

Last edited:
Add Arkansas CB DJ Dean. It's just been reported that he's a UDFA too.

Another feisty, versatile DB i guess with not the best 40 but nice 3-cone..

DJ Dean, DS #73 CB, Arkansas

Name: DJ Dean
College: Arkansas Number: 2
Height: 5-10 Weight: 198
Position: CB Pos2: SS/FS
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2017
40 Low: 4.52 40 Time: 4.61 40 High: 4.70

Pro Day Results
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.63 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.54
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

pretty close to Desmond King that some of us liked a lot ..
(a Day 2 prospect thet fell significantly..)

Desmond King, DS #5 FS, Iowa
Selected: Round 5, Pick 7, Overall Pick 151 by Chargers

Name: Desmond King
College: Iowa Number: 14
Height: 5-10 Weight: 201
Position: FS Pos2: CB/KR
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2017
40 Low: 4.52 40 Time: 4.60 40 High: 4.68
Projected Round: 2-3 Stock:
same.gif
High: 2nd/SorCB Low: 3rd
Rated number 5 out of 112 FS's 70 / 2751 TOTAL

Combine + Pro Day Results
Height:
Weight: 201
40 Yrd Dash: 4.60
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57 Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 6.67

pretty close to Desmond King that some of us liked a lot ..
(a Day 2 prospect thet fell significantly..)
Dean's #s are fairly comparable to Logan Ryan except the Shuttle for Dean is REALLY bad. Wonder if he slipped because it doesn't match his other numbers:

Ryan

Height: 5111
Weight: 191
40 Yrd Dash: 4.56
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.06
3-Cone Drill: 6.69

Dean

Height: 5103
Weight: 198
40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.63
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.54
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

Pumped to see these guys on the list

CB DJ Dean, Arkansas

Max Rich, OL, Harvard

LeShun Daniels, RB, Iowa

Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri

Harvey Langi, LB, BYU (Patriots have wanted this guy for a while)

David Jones, DB, Richmond

Some real talent here. Wow this is great

Last edited:
After seeing who they drafted and what UDFA they picked up anyone else surprised at how few LBs they brought in? I find LB one of the weaker parts of the team and a spot where a player can make the team and maybe an impact. Yes I know we don't play with a lot of LBs on the field but the Patriots adjust their gameplan week to week and one week we might need some LBs and who we got? Hightower and? Hightower also gets banged up a lot so.. where the LBs at?!

I'd expect a trade for a forgotten misplayed linebacker in the works would like to get my hands on Kendricks or a Tenn linebacker we have had success with their misused defensive talent.

After seeing who they drafted and what UDFA they picked up anyone else surprised at how few LBs they brought in? I find LB one of the weaker parts of the team and a spot where a player can make the team and maybe an impact. Yes I know we don't play with a lot of LBs on the field but the Patriots adjust their gameplan week to week and one week we might need some LBs and who we got? Hightower and? Hightower also gets banged up a lot so.. where the LBs at?!
Rivers could be considered a linebacker, we'll see how that works out. But regardless, we may not love what we have but they're all coming back so based on when we drafted there was probably no-one who would make the team. We got Langi who was likely a priority FA for us, looked at Dan Skuta before the draft who maybe will still sign. But this isn't like other positions where we had players leave (DL) or have shaky depth (OT). After Hightower, Van Noy, McClellin, Roberts, Ninkovich (partly) may not be the LB group of our dreams but there may not have been a draft choice that could improve on that group where we were drafting.

I wouldn't be worried at all. Think about it. I would wager that the percentage of plays where the Pats have 3 LB's on the field at the same time is probably in the 25% range. The fact is that in today's flag football game LB is a dying position.

It also lets you know just how well McClellen and Van Noy did last season along with growing confidence with ERoberts. Then add Frenney coming back, and how many LBs do you actually need. Also there is the likelihood that Ninko and Rivers will be used as LB's as well. So just where is the need for LB's at this point. Looks pretty solid for THIS season. Next year COULD be an issue.

Jacob Hollister, TE, Wyoming -- PFA ($90.000)

Wow I looked at a lot of TE's not named Jacob Hollister in this past Draft.:( He definitely have move TE written all over him he makes a lot of Big Plays down Field that you can clearly see on tape. Jacob Hollister might be a diamond in the rough who have some upside Blocking wise. We have done very well in the UDFA department my $$$$ is on him.

They will continue to search for LBs in FA to bring them to TC. The only thing possibly missing is a fast cover LB with lateral speed. From the guys “we“ scouted and wanted they brought in Langi. He is big and fast, ex RB, ILB&OLB, with good lateral speed and great attitude (some had him go in the 4th round). Still very raw so hopefully he can improve in coverage; he certainly has the potential. He was misused as ED in 2016 so its hard to asses where he is as potential cover LB at the moment.

Here his 2015 film (look at his attitude and reactions when his teammates make successful plays!):

Last but not least, he is a great ST prospect. My feeling is he makes the roster.
____

EDIT: Here a nice article on Langi's path and transition from RB to LB:
Harvey Langi settling in as a linebacker at BYU

quote:
"Harvey is an emotional leader," said head coach Bronco Mendenhall. "From the off-season, any group that is with him performs at a higher level. He brings energy, he brings a physicality, he brings an intent that elevates his teammates."

"Oh man, the guy just brings energy," said defensive lineman Remmington Peck. "He might not know the defense that well, but he's just energetic and brings excitement. He adds a lot."
___

And here a great video interview on the subject:

Last edited:

I disagree. The LBs aside from DH are new to the team. They will get better as they integrate and mature as all are very young, Sean and Kyle have excellent pedcgrees even if misused by their former teams. Sean was drafted higher than DH in the First Round, the same year DH year, and Kyle was a high second round pick, by the previous Detroit regime. BB didnt try to replace them is a second sign he thinks they wil be better after a TC. Elandon was a late Pats "find" rejected till the late rounds, because he was short but has an unmeaureable big heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes