PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will continue to search for LBs in FA to bring them to TC. The only thing possibly missing is a fast cover LB with lateral speed. From the guys “we“ scouted and wanted they brought in Langi. He is big and fast, ex RB, ILB&OLB, with good lateral speed and great attitude (some had him go in the 4th round). Still very raw so hopefully he can improve in coverage; he certainly has the potential. He was misused as ED in 2016 so its hard to asses where he is as potential cover LB at the moment.

Here his 2015 film (look at his attitude and reactions when his teammates make successful plays!):

Last but not least, he is a great ST prospect. My feeling is he makes the roster.

Almost the same measurables as Roberts but Langi is almost 20lbs heavier and 3 inches taller

Maybe it's me but they seem to be doling out more $ to UFAs this year than last year.

Almost the same measurables as Roberts but Langi is almost 20lbs heavier and 3 inches taller

Very close on SPARQ scores ...

Langi ... 121.1 (at 6015/251)
Roberts ... 123.3 (at 5113/234)

Interestingly, Trevor Bates (6010/245) also had a 123.3 SPARQ in 2016.

The big "winner" on SPARQ among the Pat's UDFA class is Jason Thompson (FS, Utah) with a SPARQ of 144 (= 2.7 standard deviations above NFL average at that position). Thompson was second only to Melifonwu (152.6, 3.3 standard deviations above NFL average) in the entire draft 2017 class at any position. Thompson's SPARQ was 4th highest in the past three drafts, with only CB Byron Jones (150.8, 2015) and WR Moritz Boehringer (Swabisch Hall, 146.1, 2016) between Thompson and Melifonwu.

Another in interesting factoid - the top three CB SPARQ score in 2015 were Byron Jones, Darryl Roberts and Eric Rowe (Justin Coleman was 14th).

Maybe it's me but they seem to be doling out more $ to UFAs this year than last year.
It's not your imagination :

Jonathan Jones, D.J. Foster get most guaranteed money among undrafteds

Overall, the Patriots signed eight undrafted free agents and each of them signed a three-year deal. Here is the list of which players received the most guaranteed money:

CB Jones: $35,000
RB Foster: $30,000
TE Steven Scheu: $25,000
LB C.J. Johnson: $20,000
CB V'Angelo Bentley: $17,500
CB Cre'Von LeBlanc: $17,500
DL Woodrow Hamilton: $7,500
TE Bryce Williams: $2,500

So people are asking "Why did BB trade out of such a strong draft and have so few picks"?

Here's why.

The Pats got proven veterans with the traded picks, and it just stands to reason that in a strong draft, the UDFA crop will be strong as well.

BB likes to trade down to get more tickets in the draft based on his belief that the draft is such an inexact science, that it is better to have more tickets in the lottery.

That is why they can get guys like Brady and Edelman, they have the extra bites at the apple.

So, looking at this year's UDFA haul, how many tickets did BB get in THIS lottery.

After this draft the Pats still had 23 open roster spots to fill.......

Chess to checkers.

Lot's of udfa battles won despite the toughest roster to break. Kudos to Pats FO but also to young players and their manager for choosing the way of the champions..
__

Langi's money is actually expected. What I don't understand is why nobody drafted him knowing how strongly BB felt about him.

__

updated op with Langi and also ED Corey Vereen ($12.500) added:
NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa
__

8 priority udfas so far (a record Id guess - expected w deep class and only 4 picks). Would not be surprised if there's more.

Harvey Langi, LB, BYU -- PFA ($115.000)
Jacob Hollister, TE, Wyoming -- PFA ($90.000)
D.J. Killings, CB, Central Florida -- PFA (31.000)
Cody Hollister, WR, Arkansas -- PFA ($20.000)
Corey Vereen, ED, Tennessee -- PFA ($12.500)
David Jones, FS, Richmond -- PFA ($7.500)
Jason Thompson, S-ST, Utah -- PFA (3.500)
Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri -- PFA ($2.500)

Last edited:
Langi's money is actually expected. What I don't understand is why nobody drafted him knowing how strongly BB felt about him.
Me too. We all knew so NFL teams had to know. I'm surprised none of them drafted him just because they could.

115 k is nothing on the cap.

I think the 115k was an incentive to get him here but has no impact on him staying.

Well, its guaranteed. That's more gtd than Butler, Fleming, Van Noy or Bolden have at the moment. More telling is that they didn't draft any other LB and if they don't bring a good vet (like McKendricks f.e.) he certainly has great chance to make the team. Its the least “locked“ position at the moment..

And it is on the cap (not much though):

Well, its guaranteed. That's more gtd than Butler, Fleming, Van Noy or Bolden have at the moment. More telling is that they didn't draft any other LB and if they don't bring a good vet (like McKendricks f.e.) he certainly has great chance to make the team. Its the least “locked“ position at the moment..

fleming and butler are RFAs and by definition they don't have guarantees. Van noy was a trade so guaranteed stayed in Detroit.

My point is guaranteeing 115k is under no circumstances hand writing in the wall to a veteran that his job is in jeopardy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents