PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 2: Patriots Lose to Dolphins 24-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
His pocket maneuvering is actually pretty impressive.

Did you see him "overthrow" the ball to Bourne that would have been a TD if he had Tyreek Hill?
Also had a couple of other decent throws on the run that had some zip on them.
His one interception was a ball to his 50-50 receiver in Parker, that wasn't contested.
I'm not a Parker fan. He's a player who is really good further down the depth chart, but not where he is currently.

And I think the N'Keal Harry selection is what stopped them from drafting Pickens. I think they were too afraid of being wrong and that he would end up being a similar player and that's what scared them off, so they went with the faster and more athletic player in Thornton, who they probably could have used tonight.

Parcels left Dallas after 2006 because Jerry Jones didn’t like being upstaged by Parcells and wanted more control of the team. That was a massive mistake as they would’ve easily made it back to the Super Bowl on a collision course with BB in 2007.
Parcells left the Patriots because her felt Kraft wanted too much engagement with front office moves - little did he know years later Jerry Jones was worse but i think Kraft lets Bill do what he wants all these years because he dint want the same scenerio

No one’s addressed a glaring problem. When we run the 12 personnel, the two TEs who can’t block a lick, we pose close to zero threat to run the ball.

We _desperately_ need an in-line blocking TE.

The Jets are going to cause havoc coming off the edges. Calvin Anderson is going to be eaten alive by Lawson.

We better just hope we’re not a Babe Ruth cursed franchise for what we did to Tom.

Kirk Cousins is way better than Mac Jones and here in lies the problem, Kirk Cousins scored points and put up big yardage in Washington on a dreadful team.

He doesn't even look like his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. He threw for almost 5000 yards with people like Pierre Garcon and Jamison Crowder before he got to Minnesota with weapons.

Huh? Kirk Cousins didn't start until year 4 and his #1 WR was DeSean Jackson and his O-line had Brandon Scherff and Trent Williams.

No one’s addressed a glaring problem. When we run the 12 personnel, the two TEs who can’t block a lick, we pose close to zero threat to run the ball.

We _desperately_ need an in-line blocking TE.

The Jets are going to cause havoc coming off the edges. Calvin Anderson is going to be eaten alive by Lawson.
if Bill is smart he will plan on the run for most of the game and some screen passes to the backs as well ...this is how this team with the worst OL in the league has to change up things but even screen passes and runs down the center will be tough when no one can block consistently

Mac will not be able to stand in a pocket that collapses within 2.5 seconds

Which is why one of his vetted players who we mistakenly put on the we right side last season and mistakenly released this season ended up playing so well.

Are you surprised by Wynn’s performance? He was better than _any_ of our five offensive linemen.
He's played well for them at guard. But I don't know how much better he would have been here, at least at that price tag. That and I think things soured between them after they forced a square peg into a round hole moving him to right tackle, where he had never played and then he ended up taking the hit for not being able to play it. The one positive from his side is the fact they did pick up his 5th year option, so I'm sure he was at least happy about that. But things were certainly contentious when he left.

So I don't think there was any way he was coming back or signing an extension here. And I don't know if he would have even have been happy being a guard at the time, at least not until he saw the way the market unfolded for him, which left him with some limited options.

You do not want to see the Pats OL against Jets front 7 right? It won't be pretty
Not ideal, but I think they're going to get some takeaways on defense and if any of those opportunities come deep in the Jets' own end, I like their chances.

Sam Howell looked pretty good his first 2 games - too bad we overlooked him late in 2022 - a 144 pick in the 4th round

Sam Howell looked pretty good his first 2 games - too bad we overlooked him late in 2022 - a 144 pick in the 4th round
LOL, they picked a different QB about 7 picks before him ;)

RT is holding this team hostage. Calvin A was badly beaten numerous times by a backup rusher.

The Jets have a formidable front seven. It’s going to be tough sledding.

LOL, they picked a different QB about 7 picks before him ;)
lol - Seriously though he has looked good,that 35 yard pass today to Bates against Denver was a masterpiece and he didn't fold when he was down

Reactions: Ian
Parcells left the Patriots because her felt Kraft wanted too much engagement with front office moves - little did he know years later Jerry Jones was worse but i think Kraft lets Bill do what he wants all these years because he dint want the same scenerio
He quickly regretted the decision going with Grier as the Pats were declining every year with terrible drafts and personnel decisions.

• Agree
lol - Seriously though he has looked good,that 35 yard pass today to Bates against Denver was a masterpiece and he didn't fold when he was down
Tough to really know about any of those guys that far down the draft. Some turn out to be amazing (we, fortunately, also hit on one) while others fizzle. Look at the 49ers. If they don't fall into Purdy, I'm pretty sure both Lynch and Shanahan would both be in trouble. Just crazy how things sometimes go. Although, I don't think we'll get that lucky again. Lightning doesn't tend to strike more than once like that.

A lot of things many of us talked about is now kicking the team right in the ass:

- lack of skill on O. We got a bunch of #3’s, and no one close to a #1 WR. Parker gets 0 separation. Juju is a down grade from Jacobi, who himself was mediocre. Bourne is decent.

- the o-line is hot garbage with 0 depth. We didn’t address the tackle position and we all knew it needed addressing.

How do we really know what we have in Mac? The guy has been given a garbage line and one of the worst receiving cores in the league to work with. This team is completely mediocre.
I like Parker but he has a very limited skill set. He is a #3 receiver at this stage although he can still be a net positive.

JuJu isn’t looking like he fits well in this offense whether it is due to injury or redundancy. He is a similar type of receiver to Parker.

RT is holding this team hostage. Calvin A was badly beaten numerous times by a backup rusher.

The Jets have a formidable front seven. It’s going to be tough sledding.
I think the bigger problem as well is continuity. That's a unit where you need five guys to be able to have a few games together consistently. It's been musical chairs so far through two weeks.

Tough to really know about any of those guys that far down the draft. Some turn out to be amazing (we, fortunately, also hit on one) while others fizzle. Look at the 49ers. If they don't fall into Purdy, I'm pretty sure both Lynch and Shanahan would both be in trouble. Just crazy how things sometimes go. Although, I don't think we'll get that lucky again. Lightning doesn't tend to strike more than once like that.
Yeah we will all be 6 feet under by the time the next Brady-like QB starts at Gillette - QBs are a stab in the dark whether its the first round or the 7th round - Ryan Leaf comes to mind as biggest heralded QB ever who failed beyond belief and of course Brady the opposite, Drafting a QB will never be a guarantee of good or bad,you could say that for any position as well

• Agree

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes