PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 NFL Combine Thread

Seems like the Corners ran if they are that fast might be more depth than we originally thought. I'm passing @ 14 for CB based off some of those 40 times.

While you can't teach speed, you also can't teach instincts. You don't pass on a Christian Gonzalez or Devon Witherspoon just because of underwear running. You're forgetting that there is also GAME speed. Not to mention transitioning. If a guy sucks in his back-pedal or in flipping his hips, then he'll loose precious time and allow more catches.. Having all that speed doesn't matter if you've already allowed the 1st down catch to the opposing team.

Thanks. Sauce Gardner ran a 4.41sec 40 at 6'3" tall. Gonzalez, 4.38 sec, looks good, but I cant find Witherspoon (injured?), and Smith and Porter are surely not blazing fast at 4.45 and 4.47 sec.

You're confusing underwear speed for game speed.

Little concerned now that Bryant Young will fall out of the top 15.

He is 5'10", not 6'.

That's a considerable difference. He's like Kyler Murray.

Also, Quentin Johnston is not 6'4" but instead, 6'2.5"

Michael Mayer was a little smaller than I was expecting. Wonder if he's dropped a little weight for the 40.

Welp, I thought we were good at #14, but after this disaster today between the QBs and WRs, it's looking like all the DEs, CBs and OTs will be picked over and gone.

Holy cow this is weak.

slow 40 times wr, unofficial, Addison 455/449, dell 450, boute 450, Zey 442. timer is usually slow , Hyatt 441, downs 448, Iosivas 443
Max duggan 452 !
Only one I'm somewhat surprised at Iosivas. Especially Zay, Addison, Downs etc they all run the same give or take. Hyatt might be a little off on his best day but 4.4 is very fast.

Saf class was pretty slow. Avg is like 4.5 and they had some down times.

Addison with a 4.55. Ouch.
Honestly right where I expected him. He's definitely not a 4.3 guy and doesn't "fly" out there. Him Zay, Downs are all really good at controlling their speed. Balanced and fluid. None have great acceleration but they run that same speed with fakes, weaving-restem etc.

I watch them and see high 4.4 low 4.5 guys so it's par for the course for me.

Also why I keep shaking my head at taking anyone but QJ at 14 for WR. I'm little shocked by the surprise at Addison and Co though. None of those guys are burners. They're rr with some nuance and experience.

Honestly right where I expected him. He's definitely not a 4.3 guy and doesn't "fly" out there. Him Zay, Downs are all really good at controlling their speed. Balanced and fluid. None have great acceleration but they run that same speed with fakes, weaving-restem etc.

I watch them and see high 4.4 low 4.5 guys so it's par for the course for me.

Thanks. And I have to say that running a 40 on the track is not the same as game speed, or someone ;), will feel compelled to remind me of that. Zay ran a 4.42, and Addison ran a 4.55, there is a big difference IMO, even if only on the track. I am falling for Zay, he is quick (wonder what his 3cone will be), fast, interviews well, lines up inside and outside, runs the whole route tree, and works hard. Seems like a key piece if we trade down from #14 to the later 1st round to pick up additional picks. Not sure an outstanding CB will be at #14, so I guess it depends on the OTs. BB will probably pick a LB or TE.

Also why I keep shaking my head at taking anyone but QJ at 14 for WR. I'm little shocked by the surprise at Addison and Co though. None of those guys are burners. They're rr with some nuance and experience.

Zay ran a 4.42 - not bad. But yes, I understand now that there is not a WR at #14, and probably will not be a CB either if Gonzalez, Witherspoon, and possibly Porter, are gone.

I would be tempted to pick Richardson and let him develop as a QB
Richardson is easily top ten and the betting market now has him at 3 to 1 to be the overall number one pick

The 40’s aren’t as explosive as they were last year, but you’re getting some ridiculous OVERALL performances. Guys like 6’5 WR Matt Landers from Arkansas, ran a 4.37, and also had a 40 vertical.

West Virginia WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton ran a 4.38 and I believe he had a 41 inch vertical. He’s 6’4 220. They said he’s only the 3rd receiver ever to do that at 6’4” and 220+. I didn’t hear one of them, but the other was DK Metcalf.

I had Charlie Jones in my Binkie thread on the Pat’s Draft board here on Pat’s fans. They HAVE to draft this guy. He’s the perfect replacement for Meyers if he leaves. If Meyers doesn’t leave, you’ll have 2 slot receivers like back in the days of Edelman/Amendola. Plus, Jones has the speed to line up outside as well. I’m tired of other teams drafting these guys that are perfect for the Pats, and then seeing them being successful on other teams.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back