PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

I think it's safe to say that the Patriots are desperately trying to find a replacement for Ferentz as the back-up center.
Ferentz is the Hoyer of the OL.
Knows the playbook well but you pray to the Almighty you never have to insert him into the lineup.

I wonder how much PHI would want for OT Andre Dillard since he’s on the last year of his deal, had his fifth year option declined & hasn't lived up to his draft status.

Ferentz is the Hoyer of the OL.
Knows the playbook well but you pray to the Almighty you never have to insert him into the lineup.
And don't forget the Jake Bequette damaging pictures of BB he passed them on to "thanks dad" Ferentz.

OL Prediction:
LT: I. Wynn
LG: C. Strange
C: D. Andrews
RG: M. Onwenu
RT: T. Brown

Backups:
D. Desjarlais (IOL)
C. Hines (IOL)
J. Herron (T)
One of Cajuste, Stueber, and Sherman.

Could see them go with Ferentz at IOL because of his experience, but Hines has the much higher potential.
Also could see a veteran T (like a Dennis Kelly/Brandon Shell/Tyrell Crosby type) being signed now that the compensation period is done.

OL Prediction:
LT: I. Wynn
LG: C. Strange
C: D. Andrews
RG: M. Onwenu
RT: T. Brown

Backups:
D. Desjarlais (IOL)
C. Hines (IOL)
J. Herron (T)
One of Cajuste, Stueber, and Sherman.

Could see them go with Ferentz at IOL because of his experience, but Hines has the much higher potential.
Also could see a veteran T (like a Dennis Kelly/Brandon Shell/Tyrell Crosby type) being signed now that the compensation period is done.
But if they sign a veteran tackle, he'll probably retire during training camp.

Another reason I believe Strange was drafted so highly (besides the fact they liked him & other teams allegedly were planning to take him shortly thereafter) is because BB once said that offensive lineman are getting harder to develop due to lack of pro-style systems in the collegiate ranks & limited reps in camp/OTAs/practices. The practice rules have changed & guys (especially linemen) aren’t getting the reps/cohesion/techniques/fundamentals it takes to augment their talent & execute in rhythm as a unit. Add Strange’s elite RAS/ tape & therein lies the value.

Andrews started as a rookie UDFA, so I see no reason why an UDFA can't win the backup job.
Of course, an UDFA COULD win a backup roster spot. That doesn't make this at all likely. IMO, it is much more likely that Belichicks sticks with Ferentz or signs a veteran backup,

The issue is that a backup OC will be active in every game. He needs to be counted on to step right in and call the plays. It is certainly POSSIBLE that Belichick would choose an UDFA for this task. Personally, I find this very unlikely. Even if the kid shoed great potential, I would think that Ferentz or another vet would be on the 53, and the UDFA IOL would be on the PS.

It is more possible that a developmental OT would make the 53, and be inactive every week. I just don't think that any would be more valuable than a veteran. Cajuste for example.

I think with Strange starting and picking up Steuber and Hines, we have more depth on the O-line than we've had in years.

Who's our backup Center?

Who's our backup Left Guard?

Who's our backup Left Tackle?

I still don't see ANYBODY in the building worthy of filling ANY of those positions.

Another reason I believe Strange was drafted so highly (besides the fact they liked him & other teams allegedly were planning to take him shortly thereafter) is because BB once said that offensive lineman are getting harder to develop due to lack of pro-style systems in the collegiate ranks & limited reps in camp/OTAs/practices. The practice rules have changed & guys (especially linemen) aren’t getting the reps/cohesion/techniques/fundamentals it takes to augment their talent & execute in rhythm as a unit. Add Strange’s elite RAS/ tape & therein lies the value.

Nice try.

Who's our backup Center?

I still don't see ANYBODY in the building worthy of filling ANY of those positions.
What about our two 6th round draft choices?

Who's our backup Center?

The angst of the early season.

Neither of those two lumbering, over-drafted plodders are Left-side worthy.
6th round draft choices are shots in the dark. Call them over-drafted if you wish.

Neither of those two lumbering, over-drafted plodders are Left-side worthy.
I think/hope they will survive....both with 4th-5th round grades, so in terms of value, these were great picks. In reading and listening to a few articles/podcasts, I really think these two have the potential to upgrade our 0-line and make the team.

Who's our backup Center?

I agree that we could use 2-3 upgrades.
Herron is our backup OT for now. He is our #6 OL.

That still leaves three.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back