PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

In the case of Nate Solder, yes... In the case of Matt Light, no... And in the hypothetical case of Isaiah Wynn, he likely would have sat behind Trent Brown even if he were completely healthy...
And yes, I would expect to use a top-100 pick on a LT of the Future.
You're incorrect about Light. He WAS supposed to sit a year. However, the season didn't work out that way.

When Light was drafted, Adrian Klemm was supposed to be the LT. I can remember many MANY people saying that Light was going to be a LG and that he didn't have the proper build for LT. In fact, in camp, Light had been working out as the starting RT.

Klemm had been working at LG, filling in for Mike Compton when Klemm went down August 1st with a dislocated elbow and was put on IR. At that point, the entire STARTING OLINE was injured in camp. (Klemm, Compton, Woody, Andruzzi, and Light) Kenyatta Jones was filling in for Klemm and Greg Robinson-Randall at RT for Light.

Grant Williams got the start at LT and GRR at RT in the season opener against Cincy. Light, however entered that game at LT and took over until Games 8-10 which Light missed. Light then came back and the rest is history.

Charlie Cross, Trevor Penning & Bernhard Raimann might or might not still be available at #21... Cross is the least athletic of the 3, Raimann's & Penning's levels of competition have to be considered, and Raimann's arm length scares me (though his countryman SeaBass had the same issue)... If Bill uses his first pick on either of them, then we'll have our answer for how well he thinks of Wynn/Lose's future at LT... If he doesn't, then we going to see a Guard drafted, if not during Day 2 then certainly during Day 3; and Yes I would also expect him to start in 2022.
I don't believe we're going to see a LT drafted this year. There is just too much NEED on the Defensive side of the ball. Penning is likely to be gone before 21. Neither Raimann are going to be worth it. The Pats can move Brown BACK to LT next year if Wynn isn't retained. Then they can draft a OT whom they can train as a swing or start at RT if they feel the player is good enough.

IF they take a Tackle, they're more likely to go with Chris Paul, Zach Toms, or Ja'Tyre Carter (whom Jim Nagy just sang praises of). Someone they can develop behind Brown for either next if Brown has to swing to LT or in 2 years to take over at RT.

Zion Johnson is well worth the pick if he's there after a trade back to 28 or so. Adding him and sticking him at LG while also having Andrews tutor him as the Reserve OC would be awesome.

Zion Johnson is well worth the pick if he's there after a trade back to 28 or so. Adding him and sticking him at LG while also having Andrews tutor him as the Reserve OC would be awesome.
this

Trading out of 21 and taking an instant starter at guard makes a lot of sense, either Green or Johnson or someone else. I agree with your thinking, DaBruinz.

First, protect the franchise QB.

This Oline has the potential to be good, bad, or meh. Who’s the coach for the group?

Trading out of 21 and taking an instant starter at guard makes a lot of sense, either Green or Johnson or someone else. I agree with your thinking, DaBruinz.
The problem there is that drafting a Guard that early basically guarantees that Wynn/Lose is our starting LT again.

This Oline has the potential to be good, bad, or meh. Who’s the coach for the group?
Pop, I hope.

Moving Wynn inside has a lot going for it. Good point as usual.

Do take the Central Michigan kid; he’s like a Seabass dobbleganger.

Plus, interior prospects latter in the draft are going to be there.

First, protect the franchise QB.

Right now, only YATES is listed as O-line coach.

Popovich is in Troy, NY with Troy University. He just signed with them in January.. I would love for him to come back, but I have a feeling there is animosity there.

There is zero evidence that Wynn can make the move inside to guard effectively. Capt. Stone said that LIGHT should have been a guard as well. Hew was banging that drum for years until Light retired.

Stone is usually wrong about what he posts. When he's right, it's usually a "blind squirrel" moment.

The central Michigan offensive tackle is a t-Rex!

Wynn-Desjarlais-Andrews-Onwenu-Brown

I am definitely not a fan of moving back in this draft.

A top talent is almost certain to fall to us at 21.

If you drop back, you're essentially drafting a 2nd round talent.

This team on defense is incredibly deficient when it comes to young talent.

We have Barmore and Dugger and no one else.

A lot of young question marks: McGrone, Uche, Perkins, Jennings, but almost nothing else beyond that.

We need that #21 to be a top athletic and football talent.

A lot of young question marks: McGrone, Uche, Perkins, Jennings, but almost nothing else beyond that.

We're lacking in young talent throughout the organization; we need quality AND quantity.

Wynn-Desjarlais-Andrews-Onwenu-Brown
That’s the hope if the new guy works out.

Joe Thuney’s arms were all-time short. Something like 32”. That worked out none the less.

We're lacking in young talent throughout the organization; we need quality AND quantity.
I am worried our most important player, our franchise QB, will get the snot knocked out of him when one or both OTs can’t play because of injury.

Herron took steps back last year. I think he lacks “sand in the pants.” Butt is too small.

Cajuste looks like the real deal, but he has played too rarely.

Is this a make or break season for him, no pun intended.

There was widespread speculation at the time, DaBruinz, that Matt Light could be moved to guard when drafted. He was “only” 6’ 4”.

Two inches taller than the diminutive 6’ 2” Wynn!

McGrone is a player. Just you wait and see. He had good instincts and athleticism.

I have no expectation that Uche will do anything other than make flashy plays in camp only to disappear once the season starts.

The second-rounder never cracked the starting lineup in college except for some games his senior season. Primarily used as a third down pass rusher because he couldn’t be trusted to do more.

But in shorts he looks like a impact player.

Meanwhile, Joe Bachie, the undrafted linebacker at the rival school (Michigan State), made plays galore and started for three seasons.

Joe Bachie plays for the Browns I believe. Now that is a football player.

If Wynn can’t make the transition to LG, what does that say about the college champion wrestler who did just fine at RG?

How’s Neal doing? When he figured things out and was healthy, he was wonderful.

Last edited:
Not only that, but the two players referenced were both 2nd round picks (talents). Don't get me wrong, if a blue chip prospect drops to 21 I'm all for taking him. But other than Williams, Davis, and Stingley I don't see any true blue chippers I would be upset by passing on to add a day 2 pick. I could be talked into Loyd and McDuffie, but I also think you can players later without much drop off. Especially at LB.

That’s the hope if the new guy works out.

Joe Thuney’s arms were all-time short. Something like 32”. That worked out none the less.

Yep; 32-1/4 to be exact.

Dejarlais and Hambright battle it out for one guard spot with a value vet, late pick or UDFA. Onwenu at the other guard spot with Andrews at center and Ferentz backing him up. If they do draft an interior lineman later they should draft a guy who can play center.

If a franchise tackle (offensive or defensive) is staring them in the face at 21 they should take him no questions asked. It’s simple math, they make fewer impact 300+ pound athletes than 200 pound athletes… there’s fewer starters in every draft class. There’s plenty of talented regular sized guys. Build from the front back.

Last edited:

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back