PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

I think/hope they will survive....both with 4th-5th round grades, so in terms of value, these were great picks. In reading and listening to a few articles/podcasts, I really think these two have the potential to upgrade our 0-line and make the team.

Hines has intriguing athleticism and might help. Steuber is so slow I highly doubt he is an upgrade over Herron or Cajuste.

Hines has intriguing athleticism and might help. Steuber is so slow I highly doubt he is an upgrade over Herron or Cajuste.
Herron was actually good at LT last year when given a chance, at RT though, he was a nightmare...same as Cajuste. Steuber is slow, but has experience at that RT position, so it will be interesting to see how he competes during TC. I can only hope that he is an improvement at that spot.

Herron was actually good at LT last year when given a chance, at RT though, he was a nightmare...same as Cajuste. Steuber is slow, but has experience at that RT position, so it will be interesting to see how he competes during TC. I can only hope that he is an improvement at that spot.

Big huge guy with a lot of experience at MI. His testing numbers were the opposite of explosive. Seems like a nice guy who is aggressive, but I worry if he can transition to a quicker game. Maybe on the right side? Seems like a maybe to me, and since he was a 7th rounder I am guessing the league thought the same thing.

Backup center is the undrafted Korey kid. We better hope Cajuste rears his pretty head, cause Wynn and Brown haven’t been durable.

Herron isn’t an ideal backup.

Steuber lacks the athleticism to be an NFL tackle. Move him inside. The guy is a practice squad lard butt.

7.94 three cone and a 23” high jump. If you think that’s going to cut it you are naive.

Patriots scouting and Belichick drafting will be under the microscope.

That is absolutely terrifying.
I understand that you don't like Herron. However, Belichick is fine with him as ONE of the bakckups. When there were injuries at OT, it was Herron who played more often than Onwenu. Onwenu had more total snaps because he played as the 3rd OT in 6 OL sets.
===============
That being said, we need THREE more OL's in addition to the starters and Herron.

The bar is low, but we need upgrades from the current roster OL backups. For me, the late rounders and UDFA's will likely spend a year on the Practice Squad.

IMO, the situation at backup IOL is the weakest link on the team. We can stand ZERO injuries.

Backup center is the undrafted Korey kid. We better hope Cajuste rears his pretty head, cause Wynn and Brown haven’t been durable.

Herron isn’t an ideal backup.

Steuber lacks the athleticism to be an NFL tackle. Move him inside. The guy is a practice squad lard butt.

7.94 three cone and a 23” high jump. If you think that’s going to cut it you are naive.

Patriots scouting and Belichick drafting will be under the microscope.

I'm rooting for Liam Shanahan...Would be a terrific story if he made it.

I just watched a highlight reel of Drew Desjarnis from the CFL and the guy seems like he has alot of strength but holds allot. He will be interesting to watch, not giving him a shot to make the 53 but maybe practice squad.

And they will be a failure if their 6th, 7th and UDFA's don't work out?

And if the 1st-rounder doesn't prove to be much if any better than whom they could've had in the 2nd round...or 3rd round...or 4th round;

And if their traded-UP-for 2nd-rounder doesn't prove to be much if any better than whom they could've had at 53...or 54 itself...or in the 3rd round...or in the 4th round...and even the 6th round;

And if their 3rd-rounder cannot help at Slot CB is is strictly a Returner-Only;

And if...well you get the idea...

And if the 1st-rounder doesn't prove to be much if any better than whom they could've had in the 2nd round...or 3rd round...or 4th round;

And if their traded-UP-for 2nd-rounder doesn't prove to be much if any better than whom they could've had at 53...or 54 itself...or in the 3rd round...or in the 4th round...and even the 6th round;

I understand that picks could be failures in the first four rounds. PERSONALLY, I never put the label of failure to a pick in the 6th, 7th or in the group of UDFA's. Maybe one of these shots in the dark are successful. However, it is certainly unlikely that any particular pick will make the 53.

Yes if you presume all the picks fail then it would have been a poor draft. None have yet to take a snap.

If they end up with 7 all-product will be the greatest draft ever, yet you will call it bad.

The good thing about BB drafts is he’s able to find late rounders and make them serviceable. Sometimes great. Not everyone of them of course. But I would compare this uncanny skill to a polar opposite of what Pittsburgh does with wide receivers. He’s definitely better than every other team when it comes to drafting oline in the later rounds. This is why I can’t discount any of these later round so called projected busts. Their chance of succeeding here is greater than normal on this team. And yes, some if not all of them will wash out but the track record doesn’t lie. Even if one pans out it was a successful pick that late in the draft or udfa.

Wynn-Strange-Andrews-Owenwu-Brown

I like that line. The problem is if/when Wynn and Brown get hurt. They are almost guaranteed to miss time. Herron and Cajuste need to be ready.

The best part of our line is obviously on the right side, I expect them to run right 60% of the time.

The good thing about BB drafts is he’s able to find late rounders and make them serviceable. Sometimes great. Not everyone of them of course. But I would compare this uncanny skill to a polar opposite of what Pittsburgh does with wide receivers. He’s definitely better than every other team when it comes to drafting oline in the later rounds. This is why I can’t discount any of these later round so called projected busts. Their chance of succeeding here is greater than normal on this team. And yes, some if not all of them will wash out but the track record doesn’t lie. Even if one pans out it was a successful pick that late in the draft or udfa.
Absolutely, his draft strengths are the Oline. Weaknesses are WR and 2nd round DB’s (except Dugger). He seems to be incredible finding UDFA DBs or late round DBs. You think back to Randal Gay, and then Butler, Jonathan Jones and Jackson. That’s why I can see guys like Shaun Wade being coached up, the skills are there. The size and speed are there. Myles Bryant too, maybe he’ll be better his 2nd year.

I got a wild hair today and called a lawyer in Baton Rouge I've worked with who is deeply imbedded in the LSU football program and asked him about Chasen Hines. He said it's basically all about his weight. He played this season at 360+ and massively (pun intended) underachieved. He also said that Hines at 325 is absolutely an NFL player and probaably a damn good one. He said to watch his weight closely and see where he's at. If he's in primo shape he's a potential starter but if he shows up over, say 340, don't waste your time, just cut his fat ass and move on. So, there you go.

I think the O-line was greatly overrated last year. Mac seemed to be consistently under pressure/being hit/being sacked for most of the season. It got a little better by the end of the year. I think many of the high grades were based upon their ability to run, which is great, but when they went into passing situations the qb was mauled. For years Brady's amazingly quick release, incredible pocket presense, and respect he earned in choosing the right throw to make time and again, led to the o-line being over valued by the media and then by many posters here. I think Bill saw this, saw them getting old, and costing lots of money and decided to change things around. I guess we will see if they get better or not.

wudda cudda shudda!

Who's our backup Center?

Who's our backup Left Guard?

Who's our backup Left Tackle?

I still don't see ANYBODY in the building worthy of filling ANY of those positions.

Im sure you don't

I recommend watching Hambright starting at LG for CHI.
Guard depth going to TC is actually quite decent esp. compared to most NFL.
It would be important to get two strong G backups from competition btw Hambright/Desjarlais/Sherman (LG) & Hines/Stueber/Durant (RG)
Two top tackle bup options are actually both proj. starting guards.
backup center options: Strange, Hines, Shanahan (Stueber, Sherman)

I hope OL philosophy goes back to playing 5 best players and not stubbornly sticking to positions. If they cherish versatility they should use it.
Taking Priscilla to LV was the best parting gift McD could offer. Hopefully new coaching staff gets the line back on track.
Atm there's Yates they brought from DET (they did decent job there) as assistant and Matty in some capacity reportedly.
Getting Popovich back would be great but they are prob all too stubborn. Dante looks like he's begging for some action..

I agree that we could use 2-3 upgrades.
Herron is our backup OT for now. He is our #6 OL.

That still leaves three.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back