PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

I know Hines played some center in college but I just don't see that as a natural position for him...I think it's G. Russey is the center of the future....not because he's a binky of mine but because he's practiced and played every preseason game there. He's played the position for a looooong time at a high level.
Yeah Zuma, I think you're looking at a future interior of Strange, Russey and Hines, which has the potential to be very good. Add Onwenu to RT and that has the making of a real good O-line.

Yeah Zuma, I think you're looking at a future interior of Strange, Russey and Hines, which has the potential to be very good. Add Onwenu to RT and that has the making of a real good O-line.
Absolutely Strange-Russey-Hines-Onwenu. I understand BB is moving guys around to see what works where but IMO that is part of the problem. We all know some guys can't play left and some can't right. These guys need continuity...which is part of the issue with Herron IMO. If he was at LT and only at LT, had one O-line coach and the same blocking scheme...I think he would be ok. Sure we could use an upgrade but he could play like he did in 2020 there IMO.

Watching Texas a&m play Sam Houston and Texas a&m has gone to a zone blocking scheme and they are having all sorts of offensive line issues.

How stubborn is bb going to be in installing our zone blocking scheme?

What I found disappointing was not seeing any pre-snap razzle-dazzle ahead of the Pats' running plays the way SF & others use it... If you're not forcing the defense into moving laterally one way just before your offense goes the other way, then you're not maximizing the zone blocking system; might as well just go back to the way you had done it before now... Which I suspect Bill will do, perhaps as early as the 2nd half of Week 1...

What I found disappointing was not seeing any pre-snap razzle-dazzle ahead of the Pats' running plays the way SF & others use it... If you're not forcing the defense into moving laterally one way just before your offense goes the other way, then you're not maximizing the zone blocking system; might as well just go back to the way you had done it before now... Which I suspect Bill will do, perhaps as early as the 2nd half of Week 1...

Maybe bb was holding that back for the regular season?

Bill apologizes for not entertaining you with razzle dazzle plays in preseason.

Bill apologizes for not entertaining you with razzle dazzle plays in preseason.
Moving players around before the snap is useless. Captain is implying you make them run one way then snap the ball and run the other. That doesn’t happen. You can put one guy in motion. That’s it. Defenses can just shift to account for the new alignment.

Absolutely Strange-Russey-Hines-Onwenu. I understand BB is moving guys around to see what works where but IMO that is part of the problem. We all know some guys can't play left and some can't right. These guys need continuity...which is part of the issue with Herron IMO. If he was at LT and only at LT, had one O-line coach and the same blocking scheme...I think he would be ok. Sure we could use an upgrade but he could play like he did in 2020 there IMO.

Plus a 1st round 2023 draft pick at LT. Book it, Dano.

Plus a 1st round 2023 draft pick at LT. Book it, Dano.
Yeah I was going to say. Agreed. I’m a big believer in drafting for the trenches…BPA in 1st round for defense or offense every year. Yeah I said that.

Last edited:
Maybe bb was holding that back for the regular season?

Yeah I was trying to convince myself of the same thing earlier in camp during the time that Bourne was making news for the wrong reasons... Now I'm not so sure...

Cross was never dropping that far, but maybe Bill & the New Minions decided to trade down after Penning went to NO at 19...

Dam shame that they didn't draft Quinn Meinerz & Trey Smith last year when they were ripe for the picking; or Zachary Tom instead of Zappy, Jamaree Salyer instead of Kevin Harris, and Rasheed Walker instead of Andy Stubbedit this year... A different-looking and Much better OL with just those 5 easy, even-a-monkey-could've-done-it moves.
Um, you speak truth like Moses coming down that hill.

Other than a few bench presses and less of a snark, Zach Tom gives an identical athletic profile to Cole Strange, except he was taken several rounds later and affords more positional flexibility.

So, no, let’s go with snarl in the first. Show everyone how smart we are. Then in the seventh draft Andy Stubbedit—I love it—with assisted living athletic attributes at a position of need. Three cone time by sun dial. Seventeen bench presses. We have CBs that can do more. Cognitive dissonance.

But, hey, we heard good reports about him at the Senior Bowl practices. Just like we heard a few years ago with Vanderbilt’s Joejuan Williams.

Oh, we’re now focusing on the outside zone running attack that requires more athletic lighter guys. Lemme get another overweight but legitimate player like Onwenu in LSU’s Hines. Good for power gap if he controls his weight, but an awkward fatty at the outside zone dance.

The offensive line has the makings of a pile of horse manure.

Last edited:
Hines has been impressive per a few reports, just had a late start to camp
Reports from Baton Rouge were that he was very much overweight but is a legitimate NFL prospect if he can slim down. Starter for multiple years I believe.

Similar body type and resume to Onwenu coming out of Michigan.

We’re finding gold with these fatties. Just keep them away from the fast food and junk calories, and they’ve already proven they can play at a high level. The rest of the league shies away from them.

Maybe they don’t want the hassle of babysitting.

Other than a few bench presses and less of a snark, Zach Tom gives an identical athletic profile to Cole Strange, except he was taken several rounds later and affords more positional flexibility.

So, no, let’s go with snarl in the first. Show everyone how smart we are. Then in the seventh draft Andy Stubbedit—I love it—with assisted living athletic attributes at a position of need. Three cone time by sun dial. Seventeen bench presses. We have CBs that can do more. Cognitive dissonance.

But, hey, we heard good reports about him at the Senior Bowl practices. Just like we heard a few years ago with Vanderbilt’s Joejuan Williams.

Oh, we’re now focusing on the outside zone running attack that requires more athletic lighter guys. Lemme get another overweight but legitimate player like Onwenu in LSU’s Hines. Good for power gap if he controls his weight, but an awkward fatty at the outside zone dance.

A few bench presses? Tom went in the 4th round because he is scrawny and weak. It is the OL where a "few bench presses" are critical. In other words, other than the most important strength trait, Zach Tom is a 1st rounder. Let's look at the broad jump and ignore the strength of the guys we draft for the OL. Great idea. Wish I thought of that.

I was hoping that he would be given snaps at Center (his early college position) during camp and/or pre-season games, but as far as I know only Andrews, Russey & unfortunately Thanksdad were given them... I therefore would've kept the more athletic & versatile Myboy Sherman on Cut-Down Day if we were keeping only one interior backup, and then re-signed Hinds to the PS after he cleared waivers... It also doesn't look good for Chasin's immediate future at Center after Russey and, unfortunately again, Thanksdad were re-signed to the PS...

A few bench presses? Tom went in the 4th round because he is scrawny and weak. It is the OL where a "few bench presses" are critical.
Zach Tom did 25 at his pro day. Middle of pack number. Not terrible by any means.

“Scrawny and weak” would be a more apt description for our seventh round (wasted) pick at OT who could only do 17. Pathetic.

And zone blocking emphasizes athleticism over brute strength required for gap blocking. Get with the program, One-If. We’re finesse now.

Last edited:
And Wynn is with the team in southern Florida but won’t practice with the team Wednesday before the first game. Important practice.

What a tiresome player. He may start but he’ll flub up a couple of times because he’s not practicing. Hopefully he won’t get the QB hurt.

If we had a better coach for this position group, I think it may be the case Herron wouldn’t have regressed so noticeably.

Zach Tom did 25 at his pro day. Middle of pack number. Not terrible by any means.

“Scrawny and weak” would be a more apt description for our seventh round (wasted) pick at OT who could only do 17. Pathetic.

And zone blocking emphasizes athleticism over brute strength required for gap blocking. Get with the program, One-If. We’re finesse now.

Strange is power, Hines is power, Russey is power. "The program" of switching to zone blocking is made up by sports reporters
We have always done some zone blocking. BB said they simplified some of the offensive language like they did with the defense a few years back - a normal update. You are trendy, not insightful.

And Wynn is with the team in southern Florida but won’t practice with the team Wednesday before the first game. Important practice.

What a tiresome player. He may start but he’ll flub up a couple of times because he’s not practicing. Hopefully he won’t get the QB hurt.

And what a ****ing Inexcusably Horrible ****ing draft that was, from beginning to end.

Strange is power, Hines is power, Russey is power. "The program" of switching to zone blocking is made up by sports reporters
We have always done some zone blocking. BB said they simplified some of the offensive language like they did with the defense a few years back - a normal update. You are trendy, not insightful.
I suspect the two weeks after the last preseason game have been decidedly different. We’ll see on Sunday.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back