PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

TV38 in Boston was a godsend during the late ‘60s-‘70s… The Little Rascals for my younger sister & me, and The 3 Stooges for my older brother & me… Good times, good times…

Did you watch any of the bowery boys?

Did you watch any of the bowery boys?

Not really; my dad would watch them once in a while during winter time and I would watch them with him when we did… Our real Saturday TV bonding revolved around Candlepin Bowling on channel 5, hosted by Don Gillis…

We desperately need legitimate backup depth at OT.

Since Joejuan Williams has no business making the team, how about trading him to Detroit for one of their backup offensive tackles? Believe it or not, Detroit had a lot of talent in their Oline group.

Dan Skipper?

It’s interesting that Strange is ideally suited to an outside zone scheme that other teams run like the Broncos when the Patriots have mainly run a power gap downhill approach that ideally suits Onwenu and Brown.

I wonder what the OL coach is going to scheme. A hybrid approach.?

Strange and Onwenu are very different specimens whose approach should be different as well.

Maybe we’ll see Strange pulling to the other side a la John Hannah.
So I read this morning's article on the outside zone scheme and how complex it is, and how much communication is necessary, and the length of time the install takes...

It helped explain how you can have such a terrible day Monday, and how Cole Strange might have thought "coaching guys up" after that practice could actually have results.

At least against the Gintz, for however many plays the install was involved in, the different intensity of focus apparently did the job, compared to that monday practice.

Anyway, congrats on getting this one right. Reading about characteristics of the install, it seems like they better settle on who's getting it, and not go into the season playing musical chairs. It also sounds like "gettinig it" is going to get an additional weight, and that (horrors) we might be disguising an incomplete install early in the year. There might be pain on the way to success.

Thanks. It’ll come.

I also think the undrafted rookie displaces the guy Captain Stone calls Thanksdad as the backup center.

Thanks. It’ll come.

I also think the undrafted rookie displaces the guy Captain Stone calls Thanksdad as the backup center.

I thought Roussey played really well in the giants game.

We desperately need legitimate backup depth at OT.

Since Joejuan Williams has no business making the team, how about trading him to Detroit for one of their backup offensive tackles? Believe it or not, Detroit had a lot of talent in their Oline group.

Dan Skipper?

Make it Kendall Lamm and you have a deal.

I thought Roussey played really well in the giants game.

Not really. He was adequate in PP against 3rd stringer opposition although he was still physically overwhelmed more often than you'd like.
Was lost/pup in run blocking like the rest of them. He did play better than i expected judging from his college tape and looked somewhat poised for the undersized rookie so at least with him coaching showed up. Might even be enough for 53 in current shabby state of the OL although PS should be the reality.

Thanksdad was adequate vs 1st stringers and comfortable vs 2nd stringers. He was the only guy who knew what he was doing the other night. We all know his limitations though..

So Fatty Matt has instituted a new blocking scheme that makes our best two offensive linemen, Trent Brown and Mike Onwenu, much less effective.

How’s that working out?

Justin Herron is playing himself off the 53. I’m confident we can trade or get a guy off waivers who’s better.

The OL has me worried about Mac's future. And I REALLY have no faith in Patricia/Judge as offensive people.

Honestly, hearing we brought back Patricia made me very worried.

The OL has me worried about Mac's future. And I REALLY have no faith in Patricia/Judge as offensive people.

Honestly, hearing we brought back Patricia made me very worried.

Jones definitely has happy feet out on the field. He knows our offensive line is a mess.

Cole “the” Strange “pick” lacks nfl functional strength and is a total mess in a stretch zone blocking scheme. He needs reps really badly in order to get better!

Onwenu is completely miscast as a guard. But we have nothing to replace him at guard. Mason has never been missed so much!

So Fatty Matt has instituted a new blocking scheme that makes our best two offensive linemen, Trent Brown and Mike Onwenu, much less effective.

How’s that working out?
Mike O is not meant for zone blocking .. I'm guessing you need smaller athletic guys

Mike O is not meant for zone blocking .. I'm guessing you need smaller athletic guys
Yes. But then why did we draft the two guys this year after Strange, the guys from LSU and Michigan? Both are not prototypical zone blockers.

It’s like Fatty Matt has been allowed too much discretion as a failed Lions head coach…and has been given the keys…and doesn’t know what he doing.

I’m assuming he had a say in Onwenu doppelgänger Chasen Hines and no-show Andrew Steuber.

Our two starting guards represent perfectly polar opposites of the two differing offensive line schemes: Onwenu the power gap approach and Strange the athlete to get after it in a zone scheme.

Cognitive dissonance, thou name is Matt Patricia.

Last edited:

I miss Cole Popovich, the Troy University offensive line coach. In the hysteria of the pandemic he was let go because he did not comply with the league’s mandate to get the jab.

Evan Lazar at Patriots.com writes in his article the following (which is a nice way of saying go back to what worked, we don’t have the pieces in place to be Denver or LA):

However, New England's struggles with outside zone might be a personnel-based rather than an execution problem. Teams such as the 49ers and Rams who major in outside zone runs target top-tier athletes along the offensive line, sacrificing strength and size for foot speed.

The Patriots could swap out offensive linemen who don't fit a zone scheme for more athletic options, but it might be in their best interest to play to the strengths of their current personnel.

How’s that working out?

There is no new blocking scheme. That's straight from Dante Scarnecchia. The outside zone blocking is something they've used previously.

There is no new blocking scheme. That's straight from Dante Scarnecchia. The outside zone blocking is something they've used previously.
Used. Not featured. Big difference.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back