PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Patriots draft picks.. Who are remains to be a winner/loser?

zipster9

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
  • Round 1: No. 15 – Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
  • Round 2: No. 38 (from CIN) – Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
  • Round 3: No. 96 – Ronnie Perkins, DE, Oklahoma
  • Round 4: No. 120 – Rhamondre Stevenson, RB, Oklahoma
  • Round 5: No. 177 – Cameron McGrone, LB, Michigan
  • Round 6: No. 188 – Joshua Bledsoe, S, Missouri
  • Round 6: No. 197 – William Sherman, OT, Colorado
  • Round 7: No. 242 – Tre Nixon, WR, UCF
GREEN - Winners!

How about the remaining selections?

Ronnie Perkins 6'2". Bursts into gaps with pads low and motor revved. Physical tackles knock him around.
Cameron McGrone 6'1". Closes out target and finishes with good play strength. Poor feel for angles to successfully leverage the gap.
Joshua Bledsoe 5'11" Has plenty of short-area foot quickness. Gets crossed up by route-runners from off coverage.
William Sherman 6'3" 304lbs. Works his positioning wall off block. More of a guard than tackle.
Tre Nixon runs a 4.38 @ 40. 6'2". Raw in sense of a limited-route tree @ UCF.

The problem with many drafts over recent years has been not getting major contributions from high drafts picks. So far Bill hit on the 3 out of the first 4 picks.

The problem with many drafts over recent years has been not getting major contributions from high drafts picks. So far Bill hit on the 3 out of the first 4 picks.
TBF, though, almost every team screws up at least once in their first three or four picks every year. I think @patchick noted that the Saints managed it one year a few years back, but that's about it.

The 2021 draft has been a career saver type draft.

after all those second round defensive backs washed out over the last decade, you could see our roster getting thinner and thinner,

thankfully Houston has caserio picking for them now and hopefully our new guys lock bb out of the draft room, so we can restock our roster.

True. First 4 picks, 3 are turning out OK. Makes me forget NKeal pick...

Hope Tre Nixon gets a chance. He is fast.. See if he can understand the WR playbook....

Early returns look great.

Need 2-3 years to really judge a draft for not just the player's production but how it relates to their draft position.

3/7 is a .429 batting average...
40% is a great "hit rate" ... Anything between 35-40% is really good.
TBF, though, almost every team screws up at least once in their first three or four picks every year. I think @patchick noted that the Saints managed it one year a few years back, but that's about it.
They had one of the best drafts ever in 2017. It wasn't just the first 4 picks either although they were obviously the headline. Lattimore, Ramczyk, Marcus Williams and Kamara but Hendrickson just got 60 million from Cinci. Anzalone is still playing even though he's held together buy duct tape. Muhammad was a 6th round pick that has 30 + TFL/Sacks and contributes every week.

That's a HOF type draft.

I know it's been mentioned but not bad if rumors about Perk learning a new position are true. Makes sense he Would need a redshirt year. I loved watching him play. All gas no breaks. Him and McGrone are good guys to pull for with mid round picks.

One more FA & Draft like this past year would really do it. Obviously not spending 100 + million in FA but another key add or two would go a long way.

Those 3 are more impactful than 90% of teams entire drafts.
with two prospects to go: Perkins and McCrone. Nothing was expected from McGrone this year.

I sort of ignore the PS quality players (Sherman, Nixon, Bledsoe). They were late round shots in the dark.

with two prospects to go: Perkins and McCrone. Nothing was expected from McGrone this year.

I sort of ignore the PS quality players (Sherman, Nixon, Bledsoe). They were late round shots in the dark.

I'm dream of a Julian Edelman (7th rounder) for Nixon... (less QB more WR) :whistle:

Perkins was a DE in college...he's learning to play LB. So it's learning the playbook, a new position and some great players ahead of him.

Last edited:
Those 3 are more impactful than 90% of teams entire drafts.

Yep, it's not just the good number of hits, it's that those hits all look like home runs. That's really rare.

I feel that the first 2 rounds should be successful more often than not. That is why is our rage with 2nd round db busts are justified. 3rd and 4th round have lower expectations and so forth. This draft has been better than you can ask for. We are getting rookie of the year performances out of Mac, Barmore, and Stevenson. The rest are a work in progress and I have a good feeling about Perkins.

One thing we underrate about Belichick is that he has drafted a lot of players that will receive at least some consideration for the HOF. I'm listing the guys who had at least a Pro Bowl during their careers, but highlighting the ones that will probably make a HOF voting list:

2000 QB Tom Brady
2001 OT Matt Light, DE Richard Seymour
2002 TE Daniel Graham, WR Deion Branch, CB Asante Samuel, C Dan Koppen
2003 DE Ty Warren
2004 NT Vince Wilfork, TE Ben Watson
2005 OG Logan Mankins
2006 K Stephen Gostkowski
2008 LB Jerod Mayo, ST Matthew Slater
2009 S Patrick Chung, OT Sebastian Vollmer, WR Julian Edelman
2010 TE Rob Gronkowksi, S Devin McCourty, TE Aaron Hernandez
2011 OT Marcus Cannon
2012 DE Chandler Jones, LB Donte Hightower
2013 LB Jamie Collins
2014 RB James White
2015 OG Shaq Mason, DE Trey Flowers
2016 OG Joe Thuney
2019 P Jake Bailey

Do you give Belichick credit for drafting Michael Jackson, Derrick Alexander and Eric Turner in Cleveland? Because these were Pro Bowl/All-Pro type players.

That's 9 players who will likely make the HOF voting list (for reference, 14 players were added this year to the list for voting this year).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back