PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are NOT going to use one WR spot an a KR and another on a PR.

THIS.

Whenever I do a quick 53 man projection....I have a HARD time cutting guys or seeing upgrades remaining in FA.

IMO, the most we can do right now is resign JMac, extend Gilmore, and maybe pick up another RB....

Then it's onto the draft....those FA's will only have appeal if we have injuries in OTA/Mini-Camps/TC/Pre-season......

THIS.

Whenever I do a quick 53 man projection....I have a HARD time cutting guys or seeing upgrades remaining in FA.

IMO, the most we can do right now is resign JMac, extend Gilmore, and maybe pick up another RB....

Then it's onto the draft....those FA's will only have appeal if we have injuries in OTA/Mini-Camps/TC/Pre-season......

I agree in fact I wouldnt be suprised if BB trades a few players away before or during the draft.

I agree in fact I wouldnt be suprised if BB trades a few players away before or during the draft.

Trade candidates I have in mind:

N'Keal Harry: He is essentially a #4 WR right now...and still has that "1st round" pedigree.

Matt LaCosse: If someone traded for Izzo...surely LaCosse could fetch a 7th...and save us from making overtures to an UDFA.

Sony Michel: Maybe we take a RB in the first 3 rounds...and deal Michel before we have to decide on his 5th year option.

J.C. Jackson: Some team drafting in the late 2nd might jump on his 2nd round tender if they feel that Farley, Surtain, and Horn are out of reach...and we could use that 2nd to trade up even further (i.e. 1,2,2, and next year's 1) for a QB. Then we could get by with a combo of JMac/Mills/Miles Bryant...maybe.

N'Keal Harry: He is essentially a #4 WR right now...and still has that "1st round" pedigree.

Matt LaCosse: If someone traded for Izzo...surely LaCosse could fetch a 7th...and save us from making overtures to an UDFA.

Sony Michel: Maybe we take a RB in the first 3 rounds...and deal Michel before we have to decide on his 5th year option.

J.C. Jackson: Some team drafting in the late 2nd might jump on his 2nd round tender if they feel that Farley, Surtain, and Horn are out of reach...and we could use that 2nd to trade up even further (i.e. 1,2,2, and next year's 1) for a QB. Then we could get by with a combo of JMac/Mills/Miles Bryant...maybe.
Harry: Agree, if we can get a 4th or maybe a high 5th for him I say take it. Anything lower, I personally would keep him. But I'm a small town teacher in Southern Illinois so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

LaCosse: Trade him for a box of Stan Kroenke Toupee's if necessary.

Michel: Agree, 5th year won't be picked up either way.

JC: Hopefully a team signs him to a tender so we don't have to do any negotiating. Unless someone comes in with some ridiculous structure that BB does not want to match JC will be on our roster Week 1 imo.

Harry: Agree, if we can get a 4th or maybe a high 5th for him I say take it. Anything lower, I personally would keep him. But I'm a small town teacher in Southern Illinois so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

JC: Hopefully a team signs him to a tender so we don't have to do any negotiating. Unless someone comes in with some ridiculous structure that BB does not want to match JC will be on our roster Week 1 imo.
Harry will be cut in training camp so any compensation you take.

Sony isn't worth trading. He makes the RBBC stronger and no realistic compensation will replace what he can give this year.

Trading Harry hits this year's cap.

Michel might get the option - 4.5 isn't that much. Probably won't, but particularly if the cap is going to blow up next year, BB might keep him and Wynn (more likely) around.

I think he had a much better rookie season (32 to 6) and he had a fantastic playoffs, better than anything Wheaton ever did in the playoffs in his entire career, and he was picked in the 4th a whole round later, so he showed more promise than Wheaton ever did, but of course it's a failed pick when someone only gives you one year.

Now, that doesn't mean the scouts erred in their assessment but it just means the pick has failed, the way the Robert Edwards, Andy Katzenmoyer, Dominique Easley picks failed. All of these gave us little return for assets.

But as for the one year he played, yes he was a better WR than Wheaton even though he was drafted a round later.

Mitchell was an injury drop guy. It was understood that his talent would be above his draft slot.
Wheaton, on the other hand, was going through the typical improvements of a WR2/WR3 before injuries derailed his career.

So the Mitchell injury was built into his draft position, but the Wheaton injury was not built into Wheaton's draft position.

If it makes you feel any better I almost threw my controller through the wall when that pick happened at pick 40.

Following year Bill crushes it with Gronk. Next pick Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap. I was stunned to say the least. I couldn’t believe he was there and they take the stooge instead.

I don’t get too mad about BB and his picks like yourself and others, but that one bothered me for a long time. Was a big fan of Dunlap in college.
My House:
With the 53rd pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, The New England Patriots select From the University of Florida(Yes, yes, yes) Defensive End(YES!, YES!,YES, Carlos, Carlos,!) JERMAINE Cunningham, (YESSSSSSSS!, WAIT.....WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?WTF?!!!!!!, KICK, SMASH. Broken Electronics)

this is close to Golladay $ .. insane in this market .. did Wilson already took over?

He's averaged 1k yards and just over 9 Tds a season the last 3 years. He outplayed his extension and has been nothing but consistent for them. He's worth it.

I continue to think if anyone gets traded its Chase Winovich. It's clear BB doesn't trust him as a 3 down edge guy and he's now stuck down the depth chart behind Judon, Van Noy, and potentially Uche etc. Others in the league with schemes that focus on rushing the passer may be willing to give up something as he's shown some ability to get after the QB and has some stats.

My House:
With the 53rd pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, The New England Patriots select From the University of Florida(Yes, yes, yes) Defensive End(YES!, YES!,YES, Carlos, Carlos,!) JERMAINE Cunningham, (YESSSSSSSS!, WAIT.....WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?WTF?!!!!!!, KICK, SMASH. Broken Electronics)
Similar but I went outside and yelled.
Same way I did when we skipped on Ridley, Metcalf, Jackson, and yes Lock

THIS.

Harmon is possible.

It doesn't make sense to me to trade Michel (likely for a 5th) and then use a 3rd (if we have one) to hope that he'll replace Mitchell's reps.
I wouldn't trade Jackson. Again (like Mitchel), we create a hole, and hope that someone can come close to his production.

My non-draft priorities would be to add a db, and to extend a db or two.

It doesn't make sense to me to trade Michel (likely for a 5th) and then use a 3rd (if we have one) to hope that he'll replace Mitchell's reps.
I wouldn't trade Jackson. Again (like Mitchel), we create a hole, and hope that someone can come close to his production.

My non-draft priorities would be to add a db, and to extend a db or two.
Michel's only averaging about 9 games a season, and this year's got an extra game tagged on to it. Now, if you want to keep Michel, ok. But, if you do, and you've got Taylor, Harris, White, you're still in the market for RBs.

Following year Bill crushes it with Gronk. Next pick Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap. I was stunned to say the least. I couldn’t believe he was there and they take the stooge instead.
But how did you feel about Gronk at the time he was picked? I wasn't too excited about it given his recent injury history. Jermaine Gresham was the popular choice at TE. Cunningham over Dunlap was just ridiculous at the time.
Maybe that heart condition was the problem. Overall, not bad for the 2nd round/2009

Chung
Brace
Butler
Seebass

2009 was a miserable draft. Aaron Curry was can't miss.
Draft would've been solid from the start had Bill played Chung at SS than FS and not force Butler on the outside. Clay Matthews was a popular choice, but I wasn't sold on him as he was only a situational rusher at USC. Although he was lights out in that role, I just wasn't sure he could play outside full time.

I trade Harry and LaCosse for anything.

I keep Michel and Jackson. Harris can't stay healthy and then we'd be playing an unproven rookie back if he gets hurt again. Jackson is a playmaker and it would be a shame to lose him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back