PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

Down contract year..

I think only Horn is better than Jackson in the draft.. So I'm a bit surprised no one wanted to sign Jackson to a tender..

Because to get Jackson would have cost a LOT (+a 2nd-rounder) - the Pats would match a mediocre offer.

I wish we could have seen his career play out without the knee injury as a rookie.
Agreed Cousin,
Maybe the one of the best front seven prospect after Watt that doesn't have the last name of Donald in the last ten years.
He's only 28. Myles Garrett and he should be formidable. Wish the Pats had signed him. Kind of downtrodden, injury affected player BB takes a chance on. One year low risk high reward dude.

Another BB type player hiding in the weeds is Ryan Kerrigan. Will get you eight to ten sacks, sets the edge, does not get hurt and can drop if needed. Younger than D Mac. A Seau type signing or a Chris Long addition. Would be automatically our 3rd or 4th best D lineman with OLB experience.
Might be a great 3rd down interior guy. Weighs about 270.
Word is the Bengals are hunting him. I think we would be more attractive.

"In 156 games (141 starts), Kerrigan has recorded 454 tackles (119 for a loss), 26 forced fumbles, 25 passes defensed, three interceptions, 147 QB hits and 95.5 sacks. On four separate occasions, Kerrigan has registered 11.0 or more sacks in a single season (most recently in 2018) and has been named to the Pro Bowl four times."

DW Toys

Hurst seems a bit redundant with Wise, but he won't cost a lot. Then again, the Pats are CUTTING people right now, as their roster is too thick with the draft coming.

I'd still take Sheldon Richardson, though.
Here, Here Cousin.
He would be our best DT at the signing. He's 30 but still has a couple years. Good inside pressure. 64 Tackles last year. 10 QB hits and 4.5 sacks at DT. Impressive.
DW Toys

Down contract year..

I think only Horn is better than Jackson in the draft.. So I'm a bit surprised no one wanted to sign Jackson to a tender..

Not sure I’d agree with this. I like Jackson on this team for the role he plays currently but he didn’t quite look the part of a CB1 when Gilmore was out.

Not sure I’d agree with this. I like Jackson on this team for the role he plays currently but he didn’t quite look the part of a CB1 when Gilmore was out.

He has not fared well against #1's. He got roasted badly by Diggs in their second meeting. However, what I like about him is that he doesn't back down from anyone, even when he's not playing well.

Last edited:
JC Jackson reminds me of Smith-Schuster: excellent as a #2 option, way underperforms as a #1. If you have a Gilmore type as #1 then you can drop a S over the top of Jackson, leaving him to use his excellent ball skills in trail without risk of WR getting over the top. As a #1 his lack of high end speed gets exposed in my view, Diggs on that crosser last year was a good example

As a #1 his lack of high end speed gets exposed in my view, Diggs on that crosser last year was a good example
I think his speed is fine, his lateral quickness is his weakness. Sometimes he looks stiff against smaller-quicker WR's like Diggs.

I think it's a combination of stiff hips and lack of high end recovery speed. Makes up for it with unreal ball skills and instinct I think. So when has safety help over the top he is at his best, out on island not as much. Again sort of like JJSS as a WR, performs worse then you would expect as a 1, but outperforms most #2's

I think it's a combination of stiff hips and lack of high end recovery speed. Makes up for it with unreal ball skills and instinct I think. So when has safety help over the top he is at his best, out on island not as much. Again sort of like JJSS as a WR, performs worse then you would expect as a 1, but outperforms most #2's
Switch to free safety in his future?

I think his good size, excellent balls skills, good strength and good but not great speed makes him a good #2 boundary corner. He plays so well with eyes looking away from line of scrimmage would be a travesty to waste it at S

I think his good size, excellent balls skills, good strength and good but not great speed makes him a good #2 boundary corner. He plays so well with eyes looking away from line of scrimmage would be a travesty to waste it at S
And his understanding of leverage and how to play the receiver at the top of the route, all perfect for a high end #2 boundary corner. Otis Smith in his prime but a bit bigger

We'd trade him first. He is worth a lot more to others as a corner than to us as a safety.

I believe that Jackson is worth a lot more to us a corner than as a safety.

We should extend Gilmore. The open question is whether to trade Jackson if he won't sign an acceptable LT deal.

Maybe bb is waiting to see if he can horn in the draft before talking to Gilmore about an extension.

We'd trade him first. He is worth a lot more to others as a corner than to us as a safety.

I believe that Jackson is worth a lot more to us a corner than as a safety.

We should extend Gilmore. The open question is whether to trade Jackson if he won't sign an acceptable LT deal.
Teams wouldn’t sign him to a second round tender maybe a bit of a awakening for him and his agent?

Teams wouldn’t sign him to a second round tender maybe a bit of a awakening for him and his agent?
Salary cap issues this year, because of Wuhan Flu + need to pay out 2nd round pick AND pay enough in contract to satisfy player = much less likely for teams to sign any player away. And that's on top of the general trend of team not signing such players away from their original teams in the first place.

Team wouldn't pay a 2nd and a market contract. Perhaps his agent thought that someone would do both. Teams can now simply wait. The patriots now may or may not get a 2023 3rd rounder.

Surely, there is little point for teams to want to give a good pick for 1 year of Jackson's services.

Team wouldn't pay a 2nd and a market contract. Perhaps his agent thought that someone would do both. Teams can now simply wait. The patriots now may or may not get a 2023 3rd rounder.

Surely, there is little point for teams to want to give a good pick for 1 year of Jackson's services.
And probably less point of making a lowball/mediocre offer the Pats could match, since they're still thick with CAP space.

Maybe because they don’t need another safety.....they already have 4 safeties who are better and more versatile than Harmon.

I don't necessarily disagree...I just find it discomforting that some posters still advocate using a valuable draft pick - including by some a Day 2! pick - at the position, where good players can be found throughout the draft and even after the draft...Same as RB...

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back