PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 OTAs/Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know why Michel isn’t at camp?

It’s definitely mildly, bordering on moderately, concerning to me and I think that it has flown under the radar. Maybe he had a cleanup procedure in the offseason and he still rehabbing that but as far as we know there was no injury that occurred in the playoffs or SB.

If we hear later this month that he was seeing Dr. Van Nostrand at Hoffermanndale Clinic, in Belgium (the Netherlands) receiving an experimental cartilage regeneration treatment it may be time to panic. That’s why I had no issue with the Harris pick and think that the speculation about Rex getting cut or traded is foolish.

It’s about time someone puts their foot down. I hope the Pats can get him. Putting money aside, how does any player want to play for Jay Gruden? All he does is throw guys under the bus but never take any blame for himself. He’s on the Marvin Lewis/Jeff Fisher plan. Surprised he hasn’t been fired yet.

According to reports, this is about a serious offseason medical issue, not about buses and who's getting thrown under them by whom.

It's pretty wild to think Mayo is going to seemingly play a key role on the defensive coaching staff after just joining up. He must be super impressive with his football IQ.

Or it could just be that there is literally nobody left in the building more experienced/qualified, as strange as that might seem.

What exactly is Brett Bielsma's role here, anyway, and why wasn't he made DC or at least an on-field coach? Is Bill afraid that he can't cut the mustard?

It’s definitely mildly, bordering on moderately, concerning to me and I think that it has flown under the radar. Maybe he had a cleanup procedure in the offseason and he still rehabbing that but as far as we know there was no injury that occurred in the playoffs or SB.

If we hear later this month that he was seeing Dr. Van Nostrand at Hoffermanndale Clinic, in Belgium (the Netherlands) receiving an experimental cartilage regeneration treatment it may be time to panic. That’s why I had no issue with the Harris pick and think that the speculation about Rex getting cut or traded is foolish.
For me, it’s only mildly concerning at this point in time until I hear something much more definitive.

For all we know, it could be a planned cautionary measure at a position that Michel has excelled at. After all, there’s not much reason to put additional wear and tear on a knee with a past history, at least in the month of June. They have plenty of other RBs who can do what they need 7 weeks before TC.

If he’s not there at the end of July or even beginning of August, then I’ll start to worry. Thank goodness that they drafted another RB with a higher round pick. I don’t see Burkhead going anywhere, either.

Emerging as the de facto NFL DC for Bill Belichick in your first year of coaching at any level would be a heck of an achievement. Considering every previous playcaller here had decades of experience Mayo would need to be some sort of coaching prodigy to do that already.

When he was playing, Mayo's nickname within the team was "Mini-Bill."

This storyline is one to watch. I figured they may rotate play calling duties at minicamp among the new coaches as a learning experience. We’ll see tomorrow but Mayo calling plays both days is notable.

Emerging as the de facto NFL DC for Bill Belichick in your first year of coaching at any level would be a heck of an achievement. Considering every previous playcaller here had decades of experience Mayo would need to be some sort of coaching prodigy to do that already.

Mayo getting to do some calls is the most impactful development of the entire OTA / mini camp session so far with respect to the upcoming season. And odds are it will stay that way until camp unless someone suffers an injury.

Or it could just be that there is literally nobody left in the building more experienced/qualified, as strange as that might seem.

What exactly is Brett Bielsma's role here, anyway, and why wasn't he made DC or at least an on-field coach? Is Bill afraid that he can't cut the mustard?
He coaches DLine.

I know it's good to test N'Keal early by putting All-Pro CB Stephon Gilmore on him but man, shutting him down without a catch? That's so mean, but I love it. I think N'Keal will learn more by getting dominated early in practice, and help him develop as a WR in the long-run.
Absolutely.

Just hope it doesn't have the "Jordan/Kwame Brown Effect"

I swear if Michel has the exact same career path as Malcolm Mitchell did I’m going to be really sad.

So when are we going to hear some Josh Gordon news?? Will we hear ruling soon really hope he gets to participate in TC camp.

I swear if Michel has the exact same career path as Malcolm Mitchell did I’m going to be really sad.

If they are being cautious with Sony I'm not opposed we have lost too many early picks already to injury.

Also Rookie RB Damien Harris seems very accomplished in both Blocking and Pass catching.

I bet he had a procedure on his knee and is taking it easy until camp.

Thats what I thought/hopes, until I read this today.....

“While Michel missed all of the preseason last year along with Weeks 1, 7 and 8 with knee injuries, the Georgia product was outstanding in the playoffs and seemed to finish the season without any issues, so no offseason surgeries seemed necessary.

In fact, based on video released by the Patriots of the first OTA session (closed to media), Michel was on the field and active. This makes his absence the last three sessions open to the media, including Tuesday and Wednesday’s mandatory minicamp, a little concerning.”

Sony Michel’s absence from on-field activities beginning to become real storyline

Guys in one off season my Collins and Mayo Jersey came back to life. Well, the Mayo one always was but is even more now lol.

I got real pissed after I bought a Spikes jersey and he is off the team the next year. Then same with Collins. Then Mayo retired.

Why I only get LB jerseys, I have no idea. Went with Gilmore this year.

Guys in one off season my Collins and Mayo Jersey came back to life. Well, the Mayo one always was but is even more now lol.

I got real pissed after I bought a Spikes jersey and he is off the team the next year. Then same with Collins. Then Mayo retired.

Why I only get LB jerseys, I have no idea. Went with Gilmore this year.

Great, now we're going to lose Gilmore.

Thats what I thought/hopes, until I read this today.....

“While Michel missed all of the preseason last year along with Weeks 1, 7 and 8 with knee injuries, the Georgia product was outstanding in the playoffs and seemed to finish the season without any issues, so no offseason surgeries seemed necessary.

In fact, based on video released by the Patriots of the first OTA session (closed to media), Michel was on the field and active. This makes his absence the last three sessions open to the media, including Tuesday and Wednesday’s mandatory minicamp, a little concerning.”

Sony Michel’s absence from on-field activities beginning to become real storyline
Anytime Sony misses a practice its not optimal.

Makes the drafting of Harris more likely on the side of a quality "need" as opposed to a "best player available" type thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back