PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 OTAs/Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t know where to post this.

Offensive tackle is currently the Pats greatest need. Where is the parade of UDFAs and veterans trying out?
Good question. That's certainly what I would be doing if I had such a gaping hole in my depth chart, at whatever position it might be.

That's the hope...but that's all it is right now.

Fixed it for you.

Here's one list of free agent offensive linemen:

2019 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Not really much at all available at OT, even fewer with LT experience. Pats would probably be better-served either trading for one or waiting until Cut-Down Day.

There really isn’t much there, which explains perhaps the giant contract Brown got from Oakland. For LT, apart from Kali (widely regarded as an overpriced bust) one could argue that among the slim pickings, Veldheer (who retired from the Pats) Fleming and Waddle (both former Pats) are arguably the most promising. Slim pickings indeed.

Good question. That's certainly what I would be doing if I had such a gaping hole in my depth chart, at whatever position it might be.

Every year we hear how they are poorly managed in terms of roster, how many stiffs BB and Caserio drafted/signed and whatnot. And yet.. we have been to how many AFCCG in a row ? Through seasons of major injuries and also through years with remarkable health.

In other words, I am sure the people in charge know what they are doing. Does it suck that Veldheer retired ? Sure. Will this derail the train ? lol

...Does it suck that Veldheer retired ? Sure. Will this derail the train ? lol
If All of Cannon, Wynn & Cachoo are healthy, then the train will not be derailed...

If they're not (and their lengthy injury histories are not encouraging), then I wouldn't be LOLing so soon.

Every year we hear how they are poorly managed in terms of roster, how many stiffs BB and Caserio drafted/signed and whatnot. And yet.. we have been to how many AFCCG in a row ? Through seasons of major injuries and also through years with remarkable health.

In other words, I am sure the people in charge know what they are doing. Does it suck that Veldheer retired ? Sure. Will this derail the train ? lol

Coaching and the greatest QB of all time. Please stop trying to tell us that the Patriots are so much better at managing the roster. They do "okay" but with Brady and Belichick, ****ty roster moves can be overcome over and over again. We continue to see this happen.

Didn't you get the Felger/Borges/Other Football Idiot text? It's all Brady.

There really isn’t much there, which explains perhaps the giant contract Brown got from Oakland. For LT, apart from Kali (widely regarded as an overpriced bust) one could argue that among the slim pickings, Veldheer (who retired from the Pats) Fleming and Waddle (both former Pats) are arguably the most promising. Slim pickings indeed.

Waddle signed a contract with the Bills. I hadn't heard that he'd been released.
Fleming re-signed with Dallas.

Waddle signed a contract with the Bills. I hadn't heard that he'd been released.
Fleming re-signed with Dallas.

Yes, I was referring to the dearth of talent that had previously been available, let alone now. Brown signed for a king’s ransom. Fleming signed for 7.5M for crying out loud. I would guess that the Pats considered Veldheer an upgrade over Waddle as a backup OT, of course they had no idea he would retire, in hindsight perhaps we should have outbid the Bills for Waddle.

The point of my post was to directly respond to the question of why the Pats aren’t hosting a bunch of free agent OTs. One reason could be that they are comfortable with what they have. I was pointing out that an alternative explanation is that there really isn’t anyone worth hosting out there.

Yes, I was referring to the dearth of talent that had previously been available, let alone now. Brown signed for a king’s ransom. Fleming signed for 7.5M for crying out loud. I would guess that the Pats considered Veldheer an upgrade over Waddle as a backup OT, of course they had no idea he would retire, in hindsight perhaps we should have outbid the Bills for Waddle.

The point of my post was to directly respond to the question of why the Pats aren’t hosting a bunch of free agent OTs. One reason could be that they are comfortable with what they have. I was pointing out that an alternative explanation is that there really isn’t anyone worth hosting out there.
Bills have brought in a lot of OL. It wouldn't shock me if Waddle gets cut out of camp - he just has 400k guaranteed.

If All of Cannon, Wynn & Cachoo are healthy, then the train will not be derailed...

If they're not (and their lengthy injury histories are not encouraging), then I wouldn't be LOLing so soon.
At this stage of the game you can’t honestly say with a straight face that you believe this team will have a problem that they won’t fix, adjust or work around that will keep it from contending and having a shot at a championship.
After all of these years of whining haven’t you realized that even when your whining isn’t misplaced, they overcome the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back