Votes: 8 9.5%
  • K

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • TE (Gronk Replacement)

Votes: 26 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that we’re projected to have 12 draft picks next year. 6 in the first three rounds.

If only we didn’t waste a 3rd on Shelton. :mad:

Was there another 2-gapping NT available at the time who the Pats could have acquired instead?

Hey Bill, Absolutely, positively do not draft a WR before round 6. You suck at drafting WRs but you do not seem to understand this. You are good at trading for them but your record for drafting is abysmal.

Relative to the league average, the Pats have spent very little in draft capital on WRs over the past 18 drafts. At least four of the WRs the Pats have selected were drafted primarily as returners. At least two of them suffered serious injuries at the end of their rookie seasons from which they never recovered.

The fact is that other teams that have spent far more draft capital on WRs have ended up with a lot of "winners" as a result. They've also had a proportionate number of busts, but people who are absolutely convinced that "BB sucks at drafting WRs more than anyone else ever!" tend to ignore the busts of other teams.

Depends on the FA strategy. However in the first rounds I would definitely bolster DT and LB position. Horrible defense against the running has been killing us. Today I cannot see any gems,any pro bowl players on DT or LB positions. Some solid players including Hightower but any future stars.

Depends on the FA strategy. However in the first rounds I would definitely bolster DT and LB position. Horrible defense against the running has been killing us. Today I cannot see any gems,any pro bowl players on DT or LB positions. Some solid players including Hightower but any future stars.

Hightower, for the most part, has had little to no impact this year and has been anonymous in most games. Van Noy has out performed him by some distance, and even the much maligned Elandon Roberts has been more impactful.

Hightower, for the most part, has had little to no impact this year and has been anonymous in most games. Van Noy has out performed him by some distance, and even the much maligned Elandon Roberts has been more impactful.
Talking about Hightower I mean him as a Patriot not only this season. But you are right he is a shadow of himself.

If only we had a dedicated forum for discussion the draft. Maybe we should suggest it to Ian.

DT / DE seems like a no brainer.
TE is necessary as well.
WR.
Safeties are getting up there in age.
LB could use an infusion as well.

@BaconGrundleCandy does an unbelievable job with prospect breakdowns and interviews. He has a podcast, Twitter, and blog, etc. Highly recommend following him.
This quit being about the draft once one of the run of the mill homers came in and started talking about BB being the greatest GM of all time in response to a very simple and legitimate question. It’s nearly impossible to have a discussion about needs around this place.

Im not going to explain everything for you.

Dense.
Yoy aren’t capavje of explaining anything.
What I did was take your very wrong statement and ask you to back it up with examples. Again, we turn from bad rhetoric to fact and you cower and run away.

The draft isn't the be-all/end-all of roster building.

No, it’s not, but the pats (and rightfully so) don’t spend on free agency, so the draft is the best way to build a roster. I have no problem with BB and his approach to free agency, just the draft and to a lesser extent his trades.

That’s your opinion. I see a team that has been to 3 of the last 4 SBs. They drafted or otherwise acquired all of those players.
If the results are great but people’s analysis is that a poor job was done, the analysis is wrong.

Good post.

Thats an average of .75 Super Bowl appearances per year.

BPA every round because the roster sucks pretty much all over.

Yoy aren’t capavje of explaining anything.
What I did was take your very wrong statement and ask you to back it up with examples. Again, we turn from bad rhetoric to fact and you cower and run away.

I speak some Spanish too.

Adios Bendaho.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
No, it’s not, but the pats (and rightfully so) don’t spend on free agency, so the draft is the best way to build a roster. I have no problem with BB and his approach to free agency, just the draft and to a lesser extent his trades.

"Not spending" om UFAs doesn't mean much if they get players who fill the roles they want to fill. There's also trades.

The "best way" to build a roster is to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves in whatever form, and that varies from year-to-year, and even from week-to-week. It's kind of like "the best receiver is the open one."

Not all of those passes to open receivers are completions. Not every acquisition works out, regardless of the sources. Sometimes injuries come in bunches, sometimes they happen one at at time - at exactly the wrong time.

Sh it happens. It is what it is. Isolating one thing from everything else, and then idealizing that one thing, rarely works out well.

They better not pass on DL early on this draft.
We all know how unpredictable BB is when it comes to the draft BUT the top of the draft is so loaded with DLman that BB will have to draft one as there will be A LOT of talented players.
The other good thing is we'll have a 1st rounder (unless the NFL figures out a way to strip us because of Josh...haha...j/k) and then 3 picks that will be very close (2 at the bottom 3rd of the second round and 1 at the top of the 3rd plus the 3rd round comp pick. (EDIT:(finishing my comment as I was "locked out"...weird).
Depending on what happens in FA (not much cap room unless a few players take some hair cuts) we could get help at DL, WR, QB, LB & TE.

Last edited:
We will draft the best player available at #32

And the Gronkowskis, and the Vollmers

He’s whiffed on a lot of players using high picks too. The Jordan Richards pick arguably cost us last year’s super bowl.

"Not spending" om UFAs doesn't mean much if they get players who fill the roles they want to fill. There's also trades.

The "best way" to build a roster is to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves in whatever form, and that varies from year-to-year, and even from week-to-week. It's kind of like "the best receiver is the open one."

I think to build a long-term winner the best way is the draft. Get cheap, good players, and then let them go when they hit the free agent market unless they are studs like Brady or Gronk.

They should Start from the Top BB should relinquish or delegate his GM Responsibilities and Nick Caseiro should be reevaluated. I think it's quite obvious they need new Blood in the area of Scouting or player evaluations. They have done a piss poor job there and I don't care about where they were Drafting. Other Teams have hit on Third - Fourth and Fifth Rounders in those same Drafts we haven't gotten jack squat!

He’s whiffed on a lot of players using high picks too. The Jordan Richards pick arguably cost us last year’s super bowl.

I think to build a long-term winner the best way is the draft. Get cheap, good players, and then let them go when they hit the free agent market unless they are studs like Brady or Gronk.

Yep that what's you get when you Draft Seventh Rounders in the 2nd Round.:oops:

I don’t think maineman is denying that. The best way to build the core of your team is via the draft. Miss on that and you have to go bargain shopping for highly important positions (such as DT) or risk hamstringing your cap. Miss on both and you’re really hurting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes