PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Sign the Beast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm okay with what BB is okay with. That said, "if he leaves he leaves" might be a bit much on the no-desire-0-meter.

You remember when we couldn't pick up a 3rd and 1 to save our lives, and there was no threat of any kind in the backfield? That. Blount is worth mid-level dollars, which I think we seem to agree on, but he's a definite threat back there. I'm newly aware of the value of a Blount back there, counterintuitively, after this SB. He was a part of a larger gameplan... sap the energy, and play keepaway. He played his role - not that well, but probably better than White/Lewis taking the carries/catches throughout the game.

That said, if he thinks he's breaking the bank... given the SB he had and the SB White had... well, he's not going to do that. Biggest stars, biggest stage, I get that

"We need a speedy little guy" is great, as long as you pick your poison about what you're giving up. I want a bus too. If you're carrying 3, I'm thinking you're upgrading Dion Lewis in your "speedy guy" targeting.

This is true. His short yardage numbers were decent.

Overall he had a very good year.

LeGarrette Blount

I certainly don't want to see LG go but I also don't think he is irreplaceable.

This is true. His short yardage numbers were decent.

Overall he had a very good year.

LeGarrette Blount

I certainly don't want to see LG go but I also don't think he is irreplaceable.
Here is a crazy idea. Blount walks, we sign Adrian Peterson.

Here is a crazy idea. Blount walks, we sign Adrian Peterson.

Putting my issues with the parenting style aside for now, I kinda don't have a problem exploring it.

Quickie article speculates the Patriots as a potential landing spot.

Adrian Peterson has a lot to prove and no amount of social media flirting will help

Heath is a concern. He TOs the ball every 68 touches so while not great its not terrible.

Also wonder if he has hit the proverbial "wall". Maybe less workload is better?

Putting my issues with the parenting style aside for now, I kinda don't have a problem exploring it.

Adrian Peterson has a lot to prove and no amount of social media flirting will help

Heath is a concern. He TOs the ball every 68 touches so while not great its not terrible.

I would be interested in seeing him in our spread offense. Gronk edelman hogan Mitchell spread wide with Peterson in the backfield. If you cheat people into the box brady will pick it apart. If you disregard the run AP woilf tear it up.

Patriots leading rushers since 2001:

Blount 6' 250
Gray 5'10 225
Ridley 5'11 220
Green-Ellis 5'11 220
Maroney 5'11 220
Morris 6' 220
Dillon 6'1 225
Smith 6'2 232

Peterson 6'1 220

There is no better fit for Peterson than NE regarding on-field concerns. Our power running game with Develin fits his running style like a glove. Add to that the Pats were 3rd in the NFL in rushing attempts and consistently give RBs plenty of RZ work (Blount 18 TDs, BJGE 13, Ridley 12), we are one of the best fits for a power RB.

Peopled disliked this suggestion a week ago but there is no doubt it's a great fit for both parties. The last two SBs BB/McDaniels entered the game with a balanced approach. They want to be able to expose nickel defenses in the run game and often fall flat.

Adrian Peterson - Minnesota Vikings - 2017 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
"According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, several GMs have balked at the idea of paying Adrian Peterson $5 million on a one-year contract."

Vikings' Adrian Peterson says he can play five more NFL seasons

Peterson's in the Brady freak level where I wouldn't doubt him at his word. He likely won't be expensive either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside of resigning our own FAs, he's the best (likely to be released) outside FA target when factoring in price/ability/fit. We use a power run scheme. Peterson is the best power running back of this century. He has something to prove, would get plenty of scoring opportunities here, and wouldn't face stacked boxes.

Regarding off the field concerns, we can all agree to disagree but there is no denying BB traded a 2nd round pick and paid Dillon despite his past.

Blount 6' 250
Gray 5'10 225
Ridley 5'11 220
Green-Ellis 5'11 220
Maroney 5'11 220
Morris 6' 220
Dillon 6'1 225
Smith 6'2 232

Peterson 6'1 220

There is no better fit for Peterson than NE regarding on-field concerns. Our power running game with Develin fits his running style like a glove. Add to that the Pats were 3rd in the NFL in rushing attempts and consistently give RBs plenty of RZ work (Blount 18 TDs, BJGE 13, Ridley 12), we are one of the best fits for a power RB.

Peopled disliked this suggestion a week ago but there is no doubt it's a great fit for both parties. The last two SBs BB/McDaniels entered the game with a balanced approach. They want to be able to expose nickel defenses in the run game and often fall flat.

"According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, several GMs have balked at the idea of paying Adrian Peterson $5 million on a one-year contract."

Peterson's in the Brady freak level where I wouldn't doubt him at his word. He likely won't be expensive either.

Outside of resigning our own FAs, he's the best (likely to be released) outside FA target when factoring in price/ability/fit. We use a power run scheme. Peterson is the best power running back of this century. He has something to prove, would get plenty of scoring opportunities here, and wouldn't face stacked boxes.

Regarding off the field concerns, we can all agree to disagree but there is no denying BB traded a 2nd round pick and paid Dillon despite his past.

I have no moral high horse to stand on. If the legal system and the NFL says he can play I couldnt care less. What he did to his child disgusts me but if he held Me win a SB I couldn't care less.
The real issue is this.

Dillion wasn't hurt 2 of 3 years before they traded for him. AP has been.

Look how quickly Foster fizzled out.

That's the concern

Last edited:

Blount 6' 250
Gray 5'10 225
Ridley 5'11 220
Green-Ellis 5'11 220
Maroney 5'11 220
Morris 6' 220
Dillon 6'1 225
Smith 6'2 232

Peterson 6'1 220

Back in 2014 is one thing. Today?

He averaged 2.9 ypa last season, and he's reportedly still looking for big money. He fumbles too much, and he's only played 2 full seasons in the last 7. So, in short, he's pretty much the opposite of what BB looks for in his RBs.

He averaged 2.9 ypa last season, and he's reportedly still looking for big money. He fumbles too much, and he's only played 2 full seasons in the last 7. So, in short, he's pretty much the opposite of what BB looks for in his RBs.

No question durability and at what level he can perform are questions.

I do wonder if BB would roll the dice on him like he did withh Fred Taylor- who was also at the end. Say Fred couldn't stay healthy

The injury concerns are certainly valid. Discounting a first ball HOFer because he sucked on 37 carries on the worst ypc run game in 3 years isn't that fair.

If he wants big money and gets it elsewhere then best of luck to him.

The injury concerns are certainly valid. Discounting a first ball HOFer because he sucked on 37 carries on the worst ypc run game in 3 years isn't that fair.

If he wants big money and gets it elsewhere then best of luck to him.

I could see him getting a fairly big deal somewhere stupid - Jerry Jones might dip into his starstruck fund to bring him in.

The Pats Plan A is probably Blount. He loves it here, the team loves him. The chemistry is good. With Lewis back 100% next year and hte clear emergence of White, why would they want to risk that?

He only missed a total of 7 games outside of the susprnsion and this years injury in those 7 years. Sure age may indicate he is breaking down but 6 months ago he was extremely durable.
I'm not putting much in 2.9 in 3 games and 37 carries.

I would be shocked if Blunt is offered much more that the 1 year/$1M contract he signed last off-season, and I would be totally fine if he signs here under the same terms. However, Bill absolutely MUST draft a young Power Back this year. He could've had Jay Ajayi in 2015, and he blew it. I would even settle for mid-round guys like James Connor or Jeremy McNichols, just as long as somebody else is added to the RB stable…and Brandon Bolden does NOT count.

I could see him getting a fairly big deal somewhere stupid - Jerry Jones might dip into his starstruck fund to bring him in.

The Pats Plan A is probably Blount. He loves it here, the team loves him. The chemistry is good. With Lewis back 100% next year and hte clear emergence of White, why would they want to risk that?

LeGarrette Blount Career Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look at his playoff game log vs. non-Colts teams. Ouch.

During these two SB runs we were saved three times by the GOAT with no running game. Brady was the leading rusher vs. the Ravens in the 2014 divisional round and he threw 50 & 62 passes in the two SB wins.

Blount is what he is. We haven't been able to run in the playoffs besides vs. Indy even in attractive matchups like Atlanta. The OL improved a good amount this past season yet we were 25th in ypc.

For a team that runs the ball and attempts to have balance as much as we do we could certainly look to upgrade the position.

Yep. Once a running back gets old, you can't just turn it back on like a...

too soon?

Blount had an underwhelming SB. Fumbled when the whole game was keepaway. low YPC avg., to be expected in 1st half; wasn't used much thereafter. That said, led the league in TDs.

Somebody is paying Blount more than veteran minimum I promise you.

I say sign the beast, but it'll be pricier.
We weren't playing keep away in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing