PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Sign the Beast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TE Trey Burton from Philadelphia. He can fill the Hernandez role (on the field....)

How about Burton Guster, athlete:

43275408c0117a556ae016bde864f470.jpg

Like the Burton suggestion would love to get my hands on Ertz.

I agree on Blount. He definitely played his way out of a "big" contract with his playoff run. Teams maybe would have been willing to pay him more and for a longer term if he maybe had a big SB, let's say. But he was atrocious (really in all three games) and that fumble is considered one of the bigger momentum swings of the game, albeit early. So yeah, he probably won't get too much interest. That may well end up working in NE's favor. He loves it here, and he's one player where that definitely matters.

As far as Lacy, I just don't know if he's someone BB thinks is all about football. How long has it been since he's been really in shape? I know he did drop some weight, but he still looked slow. And he seems injury prone. Maybe I'm way off and BB brings him in. But, at least right now, he looks cooked.
I don't think the playoffs have that much to do with it, although they certainly don't help. I think one of the biggest factors has to be what happened in Pittsburgh, nobody will want to give big money to a guy who acted like that. The pats did it because Ridley had just gone down, they knew Blount and they did not have another option.

I don't think the playoffs have that much to do with it, although they certainly don't help. I think one of the biggest factors has to be what happened in Pittsburgh, nobody will want to give big money to a guy who acted like that. The pats did it because Ridley had just gone down, they knew Blount and they did not have another option.
Not sure I'd worry about how a guy acts if he gets zero playing time because he would then be easy to cut. Kinda like the idea that he didn't settle for it.

Honestly forgot all about Brandon Boldin its uncanny how he is such a good special teamer but has brought so little to the offense.
Would love to see Bolden do his best Chris Ivory Jets version impersonation.
Bolden has had chances and just is not a capable RB.

What about Russell Okung?

Another left tackle will be beasting

Dolphins will be releasing LT Branden Albert today, source says. It's Tunsil time there. Adds an intriguing option to the tackle market.

mario williams too:

A couple of guys that I think would be great signings:

Calais Campbell, DE, just a freak on the edge. 6'8" plus can move down inside on passing downs. He is 30 years old, and has made plenty-o-cash, now looking for a ring.

Jarvis Jones, OLB, a former first round pick, he is 6'2" 245, and completely lost in the Steelers system. I think he is just in the wrong system, much like Vrabel was. The Steelers didn't pick up his fifth year option, so it shouldn't be big bucks to sign him. He was an absolute beast in college, all over the field. He would perfectly fit in the Vrabel, Nicko mold except he is much more athletic.

A couple of guys that I think would be great signings:

Calais Campbell, DE, just a freak on the edge. 6'8" plus can move down inside on passing downs. He is 30 years old, and has made plenty-o-cash, now looking for a ring.

Jarvis Jones, OLB, a former first round pick, he is 6'2" 245, and completely lost in the Steelers system. I think he is just in the wrong system, much like Vrabel was. The Steelers didn't pick up his fifth year option, so it shouldn't be big bucks to sign him. He was an absolute beast in college, all over the field. He would perfectly fit in the Vrabel, Nicko mold except he is much more athletic.

Sometimes guys are who they are, nothing more. Kinda like Shea Mclellin, was great in college, average at best in the NFL. I think Jones is the same thing. I don't think he's going to all of a sudden be great. If he's willing to sign at a decent price, then sure, worth a look to see if he can be something in OUR system. But I don't see the heart or determination to be great (like you see in most great players).

I would love Campbell on our team.

Respect, meatface. Playoff performance absolutely factors in; otherwise, how to you explain a guy like Larry Brown...he was basically garbage, but he intercepts O'Donnell twice in the SB and scores a huge contract that off season. And he's hardly the only example and the NFL not the only sport. Everyone is paying attention during the playoffs. The light is shining brighter on everyone.

I'm not saying it's the only factor or even the main factor. But playoff performance is a factor nonetheless, IMO. It certainly matters more than what happened in Pittsburgh. Teams in the league have historically been very forgiving to "bad apples" if they feel he can help on the field. Are those 18 TD's enough? Maybe, maybe not. But it will be what Blount put on film that will more directly determine his pay day this off season (and age no doubt), not something that happened two seasons ago.

FWIW, Miguel figures NE will have about $31mil to play with after March.

Summarizing [Miguel's] Predictions:
Greg Scruggs – Re-signed
Mingo – Re-signed
James Develin – Re-signed
LeGarrette Blount – Signs elsewhere
Brandon Bolden – Re-signed
Michael Floyd – Re-signed after legal issues have been resolved
Duron Harmon – Signs elsewhere
Logan Ryan – Signs elsewhere
Chris Long – Either retires or re-signs
Alan Branch – Either retires or re-signs
Martellus Bennett – On odd-numbered days, I think that Martellus will be re-signed. On even-numbered days I think that he will leave.
Jabaal Sheard – Signs elsewhere
Dont’a Hightower – Tagged and then signed to a five-year deal right before the July 15 deadline.

9 of the 13 UFAs are re-signed for a total cap cost in March 2017 at around $31 million
Obviously this is all just speculation at this point, but based on these predictions then the focus should be on replacing the most probable departures.

In other words the beasts the Patriots most need to sign (or re-sign) are a:
  • CB
  • S
  • DE
  • DT
  • TE
  • RB

Accomplish that goal as much as possible in free agency and one avoids desperate reaches for a position of need in the draft.

Of course when nothing inevitably happens in the first 72 hours of free agency, the angst on this forum will be greater than it was in the game thread late in the second quarter of Super Bowl LI.

Respect, meatface. Playoff performance absolutely factors in; otherwise, how to you explain a guy like Larry Brown...he was basically garbage, but he intercepts O'Donnell twice in the SB and scores a huge contract that off season. And he's hardly the only example and the NFL not the only sport. Everyone is paying attention during the playoffs. The light is shining brighter on everyone.

I'm not saying it's the only factor or even the main factor. But playoff performance is a factor nonetheless, IMO. It certainly matters more than what happened in Pittsburgh. Teams in the league have historically been very forgiving to "bad apples" if they feel he can help on the field. Are those 18 TD's enough? Maybe, maybe not. But it will be what Blount put on film that will more directly determine his pay day this off season (and age no doubt), not something that happened two seasons ago.
I should have been more clear, I meant I didnt think Blounts playoff performance was going to impact his free agency. Obviously playoff performances have large impacts on free agency, If Hoyer hadnt put up a stinker last year in the playoffs I think he might have still been the QB of the Texans.

Blount can get 3 mill in new england anything more BB will polish off Eddie Lacy or draft a big back

Is there room for Jamal Charles on this team?

Can I get my binky Marcel Reece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe