PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Training Camp & Preseason Injuries

I had such high hopes for Easley. That first step was something. Had visions of an overload blitz of Easley, Chandler Jones, Hightower and Collins terrorizing QBs for years to come.

Overall it didn't work out at all but I still think it was worth the gamble to pick Easley at the bottom of the first. You don't often have prime talent end up there and with injuries being random as they are there was a solid chance we could ride him at least through that rookie contract.

Ravens continue to have the curse of Deflategate upon them. They may be finding people off the street by September.

Overall it didn't work out at all but I still think it was worth the gamble to pick Easley at the bottom of the first. You don't often have prime talent end up there and with injuries being random as they are there was a solid chance we could ride him at least through that rookie contract.

I know that I've beaten this horse to death, chopped him up into pieces, fed him to the dogs and then beaten him when he's come out of their backsides but, as I said at the time, They should have taken Stephon Tuitt.

And now that horse (what's left of him) has been beaten again. I hope you're happy.

I know that I've beaten this horse to death, chopped him up into pieces, fed him to the dogs and then beaten him when he's come out of their backsides but, as I said at the time, They should have taken Stephon Tuitt.

And now that horse (what's left of him) has been beaten again. I hope you're happy.

Yes, they should have taken a guy who you have no idea whether or not he'd have worked out for them. Forget the fact that BB didn't feel that Tuitt was a fit or he'd have taken him. Forget the fact that Tuitt has had his own issues.. But, yep.. Tuitt should have been their man..

People don't realize Dom had a pretty good year last year and was so good in college.

i keep remembering hearing about a doc that could tell you with like a 75% sucsess rate if a player was at risk for a torn acl just by having them hope off a milk crate.

With how many players get hurt, im shocked we don't hear about a team taking a flyer on him.

I know that I've beaten this horse to death, chopped him up into pieces, fed him to the dogs and then beaten him when he's come out of their backsides but, as I said at the time, They should have taken Stephon Tuitt...
…or Joel Bitonio, especially considering that Bill traded his 9-year starting LG just
4 months later, with nobody really in the pipeline.

Chargers rookie LG Forrest Lamp carted off practice field with what appears to be
a significant leg injury, as per NFLN.

Last edited:
…or Joel Bitonio, especially considering that Bill traded his 9-year starting LG just
4 months later, with nobody really in the pipeline.

I'm not going to engage in hindsight to criticize the move (Easley looked like he could be an elite inside pass rusher), but yeah, I really wanted both Tuitt and Bitonio, especially Bitonio.

Yes, Tuitt would have been a good choice in hindsight. He grew into a better pro than most of the people in the draft forum expected. I was looking at Easley along the same lines as Gronk. Both were high risk/high reward picks.

Looking forward to you telling me that those two situations are nothing alike :)

Yes, Tuitt would have been a good choice in hindsight. He grew into a better pro than most of the people in the draft forum expected. I was looking at Easley along the same lines as Gronk. Both were high risk/high reward picks.

Looking forward to you telling me that those two situations are nothing alike :)

Gronk was a gamble who was one of 3 players taken in the second round of a draft where the Patriots could burn picks like firewood. He had a one-off injury that was dealt with by surgery. He was taken after McCourty, and just before the Patriots double dipped on linebackers in the same round.

Easley was a guy who'd already popped both ACLs. He was taken in the first round, rather than after a physically safer choice, and that was followed by taking a useless (for "immediate" on-field help purposes) pick of a QB at the very end of the next round. In fact, after Easley, the first meaningful pick made by the Patriots (again, in terms of 'immediate' on-field help) wasn't until the fourth round. in the Gronk draft, the Patriots had already drafted 3 other players by then (Cunningham, Spikes, Price).

So, yeah, huge difference in the situations.

Eli Manning was carried off the field shrieking in agony....he returned a few minutes later on a Midol drip and gingerly prancing around the sideline rubbing his groin area....

Gronk was a gamble who was one of 3 players taken in the second round of a draft where the Patriots could burn picks like firewood. He had a one-off injury that was dealt with by surgery. He was taken after McCourty, and just before the Patriots double dipped on linebackers in the same round.

Easley was a guy who'd already popped both ACLs. He was taken in the first round, rather than after a physically safer choice, and that was followed by taking a useless (for "immediate" on-field help purposes) pick of a QB at the very end of the next round. In fact, after Easley, the first meaningful pick made by the Patriots (again, in terms of 'immediate' on-field help) wasn't until the fourth round. in the Gronk draft, the Patriots had already drafted 3 other players by then (Cunningham, Spikes, Price).

So, yeah, huge difference in the situations.
Good summation and history lesson. I actually forgot how things played out in both those drafts.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back