PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

This would be so dumb.

They have the picks to select Garrett and then trade up for Trubisky if they liked him enough to take him over Garrett. SF wouldn't think twice about trading back if Garrett is off the board. They may not if Garrett is available.

This would be so dumb.

They have the picks to select Garrett and then trade up for Trubisky if they liked him enough to take him over Garrett. SF wouldn't think twice about trading back if Garrett is off the board. They may not if Garrett is available.

I just read this and couldn't even get into it, its so stupid. Just unbelievably bad on a different level of dumb.

Didn't they supposedly get an influx of #'s guys, smart guys lol?

Not sure what the thinking is but it would be a terrible move.

The last couple of years I've paid attention to PFF and who they grade higher than most. Two years ago they were vere very keen on Trey Flowers and last year they considered Joe Thuney the 4th best pick in the draft based upon value.

So here's their 10 draft prospects they're higher on than most. Of relevance to where we're picking is Nate Gerry, Blair Brown, Kareem Hunt and:

8. Mack Hollins, WR, North Carolina
It’s difficult to get too excited about a receiver with 81 catches on 144 targets over the past three seasons, but that’s exactly how we feel about Mack Hollins. Hollins turned those 81 catches into 1,667 yards for a per catch average of 20.6 yards. At 6-foot-4 and 221 pounds, that is ridiculous big-play ability. His speed is so easy and formidable at his size that he could develop into a terrifying deep threat.

10 draft prospects we're higher on than most | PFF

The last couple of years I've paid attention to PFF and who they grade higher than most. Two years ago they were vere very keen on Trey Flowers and last year they considered Joe Thuney the 4th best pick in the draft based upon value.

So here's their 10 draft prospects they're higher on than most. Of relevance to where we're picking is Nate Gerry, Blair Brown, Kareem Hunt and:

To the pats in the 5th

What round is he projected cuz that sounds like a perfect 5th receiver to develop for a year or two then unleash on the league. You can't teach size and speed and while we have an embarrasment of riches at the position now it's possible cooks walks in 2 years and the rest are on the older side minus mitchell

What round is he projected cuz that sounds like a perfect 5th receiver to develop for a year or two then unleash on the league. You can't teach size and speed and while we have an embarrasment of riches at the position now it's possible cooks walks in 2 years and the rest are on the older side minus mitchell

5-7th round. His biggest asset though is special teams - he was a four year special team captain including his freshman year - which is why I like the fit so well. That plus they've been looking at tall day 3 WRs. He also appears to have A+ character. His teammates really like him.

I don't know if he has been mentioned before, but RB Devante Mays is an interesting prospect. The Patriots attended Utah State's pro day and might have been scouting him.

RB Devante Mays (5-10 3/8, 230) ran the 40 in 4.51 and 4.44 seconds, had a 40.5-inch vertical, a 10-9 broad jump, a 4.53-second short shuttle, a 7.34-second three-cone, and 22 bench lifts. He's a projected priority free agent after the draft.

Pro day results: Michigan, Cal, BYU, Akron, Utah State

He has a slow three-cone time but his other measurements show strength and explosiveness.

5-7th round. His biggest asset though is special teams - he was a four year special team captain including his freshman year - which is why I like the fit so well. That plus they've been looking at tall day 3 WRs. He also appears to have A+ character. His teammates really like him.
AND he is a special team stud? Sounds absolutely perfect in the 5th. I wouldn't want him earlier cuz Edge LB and RB are higher priorities in my mind but a guy who can get involved playing teams while he develops is high on that next tier of needs.

AND he is a special team stud? Sounds absolutely perfect in the 5th. I wouldn't want him earlier cuz Edge LB and RB are higher priorities in my mind but a guy who can get involved playing teams while he develops is high on that next tier of needs.

I don't know about RB being a high priority - it depends on their intentions as regards Lewis, White and Burkhead after this season but I agree as regards the rest.

I don't know about RB being a high priority - it depends on their intentions as regards Lewis, White and Burkhead after this season but I agree as regards the rest.
All of whom are FA next year I want a young power back badly cuz if Burkhead does blow up like I think he can (Ridley 2012) then he will be very expensive next year and somebody will overpay him. Also for depth this year besides Burk I don't see anyone currently on the roster I trust getting the ball 20 times a game so what happens if he gets injured? James Connor or someone that tier would be a solid plan B I think plus it would be nice to have at least one RB signed for longer then this year. At WR we have at least Hogan and Mitchell for the next 3 so while depth and upside would be nice it's less of a need IMO.

All of whom are FA next year I want a young power back badly cuz if Burkhead does blow up like I think he can (Ridley 2012) then he will be very expensive next year and somebody will overpay him. Also for depth this year besides Burk I don't see anyone currently on the roster I trust getting the ball 20 times a game so what happens if he gets injured? James Connor or someone that tier would be a solid plan B I think plus it would be nice to have at least one RB signed for longer then this year. At WR we have at least Hogan and Mitchell for the next 3 so while depth and upside would be nice it's less of a need IMO.
It doesn't really look like NFL teams are willing to pay big money for RB's. Even if you look at the guys making money they almost all got it before hitting Free agency, I dont think Burk could do much to get himself a big contract.

Watced film on the big dt from LSU gotchaux.

Seems like a pure one gapper, but he makes some plays.

Maybe with a red shirt year, we can coach him off the roller skates and get him stronger. If that happens we could have a future starter on our hands.

Agree, but it should be noted that Pats' lead RBs typically don't get anywhere near a 20-tote average per game. Aside from Blount last year (18.7) and Ridley in 2012 (17.6), Pats led RBs have averaged less than 14 carries per game since at least 2009.

Even with Blount's anomalous 299 carries in 2016, he only touched the ball about 57% of the time he was on the field.

Someone besides Lewis to split carries with Burkhead would seem like a very good idea. To me, Blount would seem the best immediate option since he has the most experience in the system. OTOH, with all three RBs going UFA at the end of the season, having a potential lead-rusher rookie would be good, too.

It doesn't really look like NFL teams are willing to pay big money for RB's. Even if you look at the guys making money they almost all got it before hitting Free agency, I dont think Burk could do much to get himself a big contract.
Bear with me a moment and assume Burk puts up 2012 Ridley numbers, which in this offense running against 6 in the box cuz of Brady any above average back should be able to do with 250 carries, 1200 yards 10 TD's. What would you pay for that kind of production? Because of the mentioned Brady effect I would offer a 4 year 20 million deal. You really think there isn't a desperate team out there that wouldn't go 4 for 28 or 5 for 35? That is why Burk wanted a one year deal IMO he is betting big time on himself on a loaded offense. He's still young without a ton of wear and tear so I could see one huge year as the featured back translating to a decent but not record setting contract with someone else.

Agree, but it should be noted that Pats' lead RBs typically don't get anywhere near a 20-tote average per game. Aside from Blount last year (18.7) and Ridley in 2012 (17.6), Pats led RBs have averaged less than 14 carries per game since at least 2009.

Even with Blount's anomalous 299 carries in 2016, he only touched the ball about 57% of the time he was on the field.

Someone besides Lewis to split carries with Burkhead would seem like a very good idea. To me, Blount would seem the best immediate option since he has the most experience in the system. OTOH, with all three RBs going UFA at the end of the season, having a potential lead-rusher rookie would be good, too.

Useful numbers and I agree no RB will average 20 carries a game over the course of a season, we have Tom F'in Brady with more weapons then the US military. We are a pass first team and for good reason. What I meant was there are going to be games where the game plan calls for smash mouth football and in those games where is the 20 carry back? Right now we have Burk. If he went down I don't trust white or Lewis in that role and I would hate not to be able to run any kind of offense that best takes advantage of the defenses weakness.

My original point to Manx, whose opinion I value highly, was the plan B at RB is significantly weaker right now then the plan B at WR. If Edelman went down we still have cooks or vice versa. If Burk goes down we are signing someone off the street or promoting Gaffney off the PS. I also find RB to be the one position that is almost entirely athletic talent and instinct, you either can or you can't and even rookie RB's can be very effective. If Blount signs soon and Bill chooses to allocate his resources elsewhere I won't argue with it but I think adding some young blood to the running game is a higher tier need then a receiver that won't crack the line up for 2 or 3 years.

PFF list some players they think will be good day 3 picks for the Pats. Nathan Gerry, Deatrich Wise, George Kittle are on their but they do have a nme I've not heard of before:

Najee Murray, SCB, Kent State

With the departure of CB Logan Ryan, the Patriots should be looking to bring some competition to the slot corner position to compete with Cyrus Jones and Justin Coleman. Najee Murray graded extremely well for PFF in 2016, finishing the year with a final grade of 85.6. Out of his 364 coverage snaps, 301 were in the slot. When in slot coverage, he allowed only 16 receptions on 38 targets, no TDs, and a 37.8 QB rating. The former Ohio State transfer is projected as a late-round pick or UDFA, but could come in and compete for playing time in nickel and dime packages.

Key stat: Murray averaged 18.8 cover snaps between surrendered receptions in the slot in 2016, the best rate in FBS.

I looked at his pro day numbers and whilst his 40 is OK at 4.54, his shuttle was a very good 4.05 and he had a 6.83 3-cone. Interesting UDFA possibility.

Day 3 draft targets for the Patriots | PFF

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back