PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

Clowney has been injured. As he showed against us, there's plenty of talent to be tapped there.

It's a completely separate discussion to have but in the light of us getting Cooks and talk about "cost control" coming up frequently I wonder how some people see players like Clowney.

Due to various issues the Texans essentially burned 3 of the 5* cheap years they had on him. It really makes me question how much value they will get out of him in relative terms. His first year as somewhat fully matured player is his final really cheap rookie contract year. Soon they will have to start thinking about an extension and whether it is cost effective to have Watt and Clowney on gigantic deals eating up cap space around the same position.

There is smoke.

Two meetings with a top 15 pick, Sherman-Patriots rumors, Butler-Saints rumors, Jimmy G-Browns rumors.....we could mock until draft day and not know where were drafting until then.

Two meetings with a top 15 pick, Sherman-Patriots rumors, Butler-Saints rumors, Jimmy G-Browns rumors.....we could mock until draft day and not know where were drafting until then.

I don't see the Sherman/Patriots stuff happening.

What however raised my eyebrow here was that the Pats rather pay Gilmore an APY of close to 14M than give up a high pick and pay Sherman 11M APY. I am not sure if this speaks to how valuable the draft pick is or whether they think Gilmore has more potential than Sherman but it is interesting nevertheless.

The reason why I don't see anything with Sherman happening is that I can't comprehend why they'd sign Sherman for 11M but don't wanna go over 7-8M for Butler. If having a potential pro-bowl/all-pro level CB duo is truly on the table why go through all the theatre with Butler ?

Given all the statements BB made about how matching up CBs is like a Tennis ladder and the general success of covering WR1s with DMac + CB2 in the last few years I just don't see why we'd switch it up.

Either way, at least it makes for a somewhat entertaining offseason. Sorry for the long reply it is not necessarily directed at you but reading your msg just triggered it.

Wow! Quite an impressive rise for an under sized guy.

Are we starting to see teams overvalue versatility?

I think it's about versatility but also a high floor - and let's be honest, talent.

Love the attitude of Harvey Langi.
(despite missed plays and scoreboard look at his passion from 3:00 onwards)

Still raw, trying to settle in a position (w moving him around constantly), but great attitude, passion, always going for the ball, all-in for team and teammates.

Quite the opposite of probably more talented (and much more experienced at position) Beckwith, who turns into spectator the moment action goes away/past him.
(mentioning this since Miller has them both in 4th rd)
___

Great Langi game vs UCLA in 2015 (w some nice Kai Nacua moment)

I guess at least one BYU player ends up in Pats TC

Last edited:
I wouldn't use even a 7th-rounder on him. He's old for a rookie, and has only one year of experience at the position he would have to play here (ILB). His instincts, therefore, are way, way behind where they need to be.

Sign him as a UDFA? Sure, why not.

I did actually see this play when I watched Cam Sutton so it's nice to have a gif of it to share

Always nice to see that play in action. :cool:

This might be a good time to share this info:

I was using gfycat, but I like streamable's interface better. It's faster and more precise. It also allows for longer than 15 second clips.

Streamable - video for publishers

I made an account for all of us to share: PatsFansDraftVideos. Password is patsfans. It's as easy as copy/pasting the video URL, using the sliders to select a time frame (you can also use the arrow keys to advance frame by frame), and clicking done. Then share the link so we can see the snippet.

This kid is a smurf for a pass rusher but dang he can play in a rotation.

This kid is a smurf for a pass rusher but dang he can play in a rotation.

Huh. Got double-teamed a lot (which merely allowed his teammates to get pressure). Also, a choke-hold by the OL is apparently not considered holding in the ACC?

Generally decent awareness by Price, but he doesn't seem real big on chasing down running plays that get by him.

One player that would complete perfectly Pats 2017 D - assuming Butler is staying - is Jarrad Davis. He fills best what's missing: top, fast cover LB with complete game.

He would complete High and Elandon most perfectly in “base“ and worked great alongside High in nickel and dime. Erasing last possible weakness of any D formation.

He is way out of reach of course - climbing boards by the day.

I was watching Jamaal Williams here and then Michigan St #9 caught my eye.
Projected UDFA prospect SS Montae Nicholson looked quite different than Zierlein description “his tape is blah and no amount of workouts in shorts and t-shirts will change that“ or some AFC scout quote: “Big and beautiful with no impact on the game whatsoever. He just doesn't have the aggressiveness you need to play this game on this level.“

He played hurt most of the season, went to Combine, was happy with numbers he put there and went to have shoulder surgery before Pro Day.

“In 2016, Nicholson posted a team- and career-high 86 tackles. He was on his way to truly becoming a linchpin-level safety.“

At 6'2, 212, 4.42, 33.5“ hands! . could be a steal as UDFA.

One player that would complete perfectly Pats 2017 D - assuming Butler is staying - is Jarrad Davis. He fills best what's missing: top, fast cover LB with complete game.

He would complete High and Elandon most perfectly in “base“ and worked great alongside High in nickel and dime. Erasing last possible weakness of any D formation.

He is way out of reach of course - climbing boards by the day.

Been saying the same for a long time.

Best thing is that he can improve. Nobody talks about that.

While thinking of LB/ST prospects - keep in mind that Trevor Bates is on the roster.
Here's a nice article on him by Oliver Thomas:
Intrigue remains with lesser-known Patriots linebacker Trevor Bates

So maybe some “slower“ guys with similar measurements (like Gedeon, Harris) could be off the board // Bates 6’15, 247, 30.5“, 4.78/6.75/4.25

I was actually intrigued even before this article to see what role he can carve for himself here after joining mid-season and getting praise and a raise as PS member. With full pre-season in NE maybe he takes over Mingo's ST duties and pushes for some snaps in the LB rotation.

Id still like to see getting one faster LB on board though..

A hint of some character issues w Langi.

Pats are following him long and close enough..

(not to get thread off topic. Atleast it's productive discussion unlike the UFC Butler thread in the main forum)

Wow, impressive on Beckham! He confused me as a prospect. I was much higher on his teammate Landry. Oops. I've made top 50 rankings casually since 2013 and WR has been a mess. Way better at defense.

Trying to get better each year. This forum helped get me into the draft. Interesting that Garrett & Clowney are different caliber prospects in your eyes. I remember when the media hyped Clowney as the best defensive prospect in a generation. Then two players from the same draft in Donald/Mack went on to be superior players (for now). Oops by them.

LOL Main can be interesting

It's a process man and at the end of the day you do your best and keep learning. You do good work.

I have to say that class just shined to me and instantly became big on them the year prior watching them. Then digging in around this time before the season started.

I described Clowney many times as the best overall #1 w/out a skill set and thought it fit? He had absolutely everything you wanted in flashes but really had so much improvement to do to become the player he is now.

I remember writing about him tossing Gronk around which is no easy task and talking about how hes just now starting to come into his own. And think he all saw that last year. I always thought he was too skinny in his lower half but w/e. He's a phenomenal talent that I thought was right behind the other 4 future HOF'S. At least in my untrained, amateur opinion.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back