PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

From a week 7 matchup description at PFF:

Tocho has intriguing size at 6-foot, 201 pounds, and has posted head-turning production this season. After a solid 2014 and 2015, Tocho has allowed only 12 receptions on 29 targets for 134 yards (4.6 yards per attempt), including an interception and four passes defensed. With 18 of Williams’ 47 targets coming on go routes and Tocho allowing only 1-of-8 with two passes defensed on that pass pattern, something has to give on Saturday afternoon.

Draft prospects to watch in Week 7 of college football | PFF

I did see a tweet today saying that the Bowser fight thing is a bit of a non-story. He was punched, but didn't punch back.

Right now, the top reaches of the second round are more appealing than pick 32. If we can get 32 from the Saints, I'd be very fine with trading back. There's a lot of talent in the 32-55 range that really interests me.

Encouraging to hear, since I'm growing partial to his game.

My pbinkie Jordan Lewis appears to have gotten himself involved with what I would call a dumb ...... Called the cops on him, they interviewed her, didn't notice anything or any signs, called him and didn't arrest him or file charges. But like always, and especially in DA cases, the prosecutor filed charges anyways.

I wonder If Bill and Kraft could look further into this one and take a chance on him with our 5th or 6th.

Despite him not being a need, I love his play so much I think theres a spot on the roster for him.

NFL draft prospect Lewis pleads not guilty

NC State's safety Josh Jones is really interesting to me despite requiring a first round pick or early-mid second to draft. Long, strong and with top notch athleticism. We don't have his agility drills yet but he was the second sparq-iest safety at the combine after Melifonwu. He has the size of a Su'a Cravens with the athleticism (agility drills pending) of Kamu Grugier-Hill. As a future Chung replacement I'm very intrigued.
Liked him since the combine. wish I could find more game tape on him

Fantastic article at Seahawks Draft Blog about just how freaky athletic Tyus Bowser and TJ Watt are (also note how often Jordan Willis features).

T.J. Watt and Tyus Bowser are pretty special | Seahawks Draft Blog

Rob Staton, the guy beind Seahawks Draft Blog is a fellow Brit who comes up with some really interesting stuff.

Well, story time again . . .

After reading the numbers, I was inspired to test my own 3-cone. The snow is nearly waist-deep outside, so I had to use our addition, which is 20 x 15. The cones are supposed to be 5 yards apart. That means that I had to run wall to wall, without room to truly loop around the cone; instead, I just smashed flat against the wall, and then redirected back to the other wall, where I similarly face-planted before turning and sprinting to my starting point. For timing, I tapped the screen on my phone before I took off running, and then tapped it again when I passed the finish line.

Turns out bare feet on the wood floors don't give great traction, and I slowed down a lot running into the walls. I still managed a 7.63 on my best attempt. I'll try again outside when I have better footing and can actually open up and run instead of slipping, sliding, and slamming into walls.

My wife barely raised an eyebrow. I guess it says a lot about me that she accepts this as normal. o_O :D

And finally.

Jack Tocho highlights

And against Zay Jones. Watch him sniff out the screen at 0:54 (play recognition/film watching) and the INT against Jones at 3:48. He's no 29 usually playing CB on the left side of the defense.

Well, story time again . . .

After reading the numbers, I was inspired to test my own 3-cone. The snow is nearly waist-deep outside, so I had to use our addition, which is 20 x 15. The cones are supposed to be 5 yards apart. That means that I had to run wall to wall, without room to truly loop around the cone; instead, I just smashed flat against the wall, and then redirected back to the other wall, where I similarly face-planted before turning and sprinting to my starting point. For timing, I tapped the screen on my phone before I took off running, and then tapped it again when I passed the finish line.

Turns out bare feet on the wood floors don't give great traction, and I slowed down a lot running into the walls. I still managed a 7.63 on my best attempt. I'll try again outside when I have better footing and can actually open up and run instead of slipping, sliding, and slamming into walls.

My wife barely raised an eyebrow. I guess it says a lot about me that she accepts this as normal. o_O :D

Face planting into walls for research. I admire your dedication but question your stupidity ;)

Jack Tocho reminds me of sherman. Seems very aggressive, good hands, makes plays. can tackle.. Looks like a good prospect

Good spot. Looks like they play a bunch of cover-3 at NC State too.

Good spot. Looks like they play a bunch of cover-3 at NC State too.

Yeah it does, are defensive Scheme changes every game so i have no idea what we run half the time.. so if someone can let me know il look into it more

Yeah it does, are defensive Scheme changes every game so i have no idea what we run half the time.. so if someone can let me know il look into it more

I think our preferred coverage is cover one - one deep safety with man coverage by the CBs but as you say, they'll play other coverages too, most particularly a cover two. Gilmore and Rowe suggest a return to cover-1 as we had with Revis and Browner.

I think our preferred coverage is cover one - one deep safety with man coverage by the CBs but as you say, they'll play other coverages too, most particularly a cover two. Gilmore and Rowe suggest a return to cover-1 as we had with Revis and Browner.

Wonder if Jack Tocho would be able to fit in here, haven't seen a lot of him in the slot. I like rowe a lot more than others do i think. This could be a very good Secondary this year. Could be even better if we traded Jimmy. Would be Our Defence set for the next 5 years.

Wonder if Jack Tocho would be able to fit in here, haven't seen a lot of him in the slot. I like rowe a lot more than others do i think. This could be a very good Secondary this year. Could be even better if we traded Jimmy. Would be Our Defence set for the next 5 years.

I'd like to add a gamechanger. Budda Baker is my guy for that. He could play the slot, either as a safety or cornerback.

I'd like to add a gamechanger. Budda Baker is my guy for that. He could play the slot, either as a safety or cornerback.
Would give us a lot of different looks with him. Same could be said with Jabril Peppers.. Think i am his biggest fan of him on here

To be fair, I'm not sure I see Tocho as an early contender. I think he's likely to be a late round/UDFA that has a chance to compete to be a backup but could end up on the PS or cut in final cut downs. But he certainly has the character to be a BB guy.

I'm cautious about Peppers. Not sure what to make of him. Can he cover? Is the big question. Agree on Baker.

I think him Playing linebacker has really hurt his value last season, which is why their are doubts. He can cover a lot better than people give him credit for. Think he was only targeted 26 times when he played DB for the season, also would give us a possible upgrade over chung in my opinion..

Thoughts?

Depends what you're looking for in a defense. If we hadn't signed Guy, then I'd be all for bringing Wormley in -- he can play anywhere along the line. Not as much of a pass rushing threat as Willis, perhaps, but far better technique, more versatility, and better against the run. I think he'll be better than Ty Warren, but in a similar mold.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back