PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

Wormley's a nice player, but we have higher priorities on the DL (Pass-Rusher), on the rest of the defense (CB - depending on the Butler situation, and coverage LB), and on offense (Power Back, Move TE and LT).

Would give us a lot of different looks with him. Same could be said with Jabril Peppers.. Think i am his biggest fan of him on here

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before ...

Even aside from considering that Peppers' measureables are almost identical to Chung's, I feel like Peppers is kind of like Chung 2009 in both the good and not-so-good ways. And I like Peppers a lot.

Getting Peppers on the roster while Chung is still around to counsel Peppers on what things NOT to do makes sense to me.

Well, story time again . . .

After reading the numbers, I was inspired to test my own 3-cone. The snow is nearly waist-deep outside, so I had to use our addition, which is 20 x 15. The cones are supposed to be 5 yards apart. That means that I had to run wall to wall, without room to truly loop around the cone; instead, I just smashed flat against the wall, and then redirected back to the other wall, where I similarly face-planted before turning and sprinting to my starting point. For timing, I tapped the screen on my phone before I took off running, and then tapped it again when I passed the finish line.

Turns out bare feet on the wood floors don't give great traction, and I slowed down a lot running into the walls. I still managed a 7.63 on my best attempt. I'll try again outside when I have better footing and can actually open up and run instead of slipping, sliding, and slamming into walls.

My wife barely raised an eyebrow. I guess it says a lot about me that she accepts this as normal. o_O :D

Binkie alert :)

Well, story time again . . .

After reading the numbers, I was inspired to test my own 3-cone. The snow is nearly waist-deep outside, so I had to use our addition, which is 20 x 15. The cones are supposed to be 5 yards apart. That means that I had to run wall to wall, without room to truly loop around the cone; instead, I just smashed flat against the wall, and then redirected back to the other wall, where I similarly face-planted before turning and sprinting to my starting point. For timing, I tapped the screen on my phone before I took off running, and then tapped it again when I passed the finish line.

Turns out bare feet on the wood floors don't give great traction, and I slowed down a lot running into the walls. I still managed a 7.63 on my best attempt. I'll try again outside when I have better footing and can actually open up and run instead of slipping, sliding, and slamming into walls.

My wife barely raised an eyebrow. I guess it says a lot about me that she accepts this as normal. o_O :D

Well, being able to stop on a dime from a full sprint is a valued trait in football, but I think that using a wall the enhance sudden deceleration might be considered cheating. IDK, is "wall" on the NFL list of performance-enhancing substances?

Well, being able to stop on a dime from a full sprint is a valued trait in football, but I think that using a wall the enhance sudden deceleration might be considered cheating. IDK, is "wall" on the NFL list of performance-enhancing substances?

You see! You are funny :)

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before ...

Even aside from considering that Peppers' measureables are almost identical to Chung's, I feel like Peppers is kind of like Chung 2009 in both the good and not-so-good ways. And I like Peppers a lot.

Getting Peppers on the roster while Chung is still around to counsel Peppers on what things NOT to do makes sense to me.

Have you watched the tape of peppers in coverage? Calling him poor world be a compliment to what he put on tape.

Let the jets have him!

A name that might be worth remembering is Cody Heiman, LB, Washburn. Listed at NFL Draft Scout as 6-2, 245lbs although I've also seen 235lbs.

He was written about at MMQB as an outside chance prospect (the bit about Heiman starts about half way down.

NFL Draft Longshots: Alton Voss, Germone Hopper | The MMQB with Peter King

“I had Brian Urlacher at the Bears,” Riederer says. “I’m not saying Cody is Brian Urlacher, because he’s one of the special lifetime players you get to coach, but he’s not that far off.”

Couldn't find Heiman's pro day numbers until I saw this in a forum:

Washburn LB Cody Heiman may move to FB and probably should based on his college tape. At 6'1, 229 pounds he ran in the 4.60 range with a 36 VJ, 10'2 BJ, 4.21 short shuttle, and 31 bench reps. I expect him to be a PFA as well.

Was interested when I saw he was listed at 245lbs, less so at 229. But as a PS FB he's an athletic possibility. Those 31 reps are Develin-esque (39).

Mike Mayock has promoted Jabrill Peppers to his no1 safety :eek:

I wonder if it's something he's hearing. Otherwise, I'd love to know the rational.

Mike Mayock's 2017 NFL Draft position rankings 2.0

Very interesting. Mayock does seem to have his ear to the ground. Of course, this could all be a big smokescreen before he takes the Washington GM job -- he's got to make sure that his online rankings don't give away his draft plans. :p

Well I've found this years Patriots OT prototype, at least based upon measurables:

Andrew Wylie, Eastern Michigan
6'5", 312lbs

Played RT I believe. I don't know whether he's any good or not.

Well I've found this years Patriots OT prototype, at least based upon measurables:

Andrew Wylie, Eastern Michigan
6'5", 312lbs

Played RT I believe. I don't know whether he's any good or not.

I like his name. Bring him in!

Hard to find more current games. Here are a few from last year. He's #72. Doesn't look like he has all world athleticism, except for a few plays where he really flies around or changes direction surprisingly fast. Looks like the ideal 7th or priority UDFA type of guy to develop as a swing tackle. Needs some seasoning, but good find!

Last edited:
No votes for Kizer. Of course it depends on which teams were surveyed and where they're picking.

Hey guys, while looking at some linbackers at draftbreakdown.com, i came across Jordan Evans.

He had a really good pro day and i like him as a 3rd-day option.
40-yd Dash: 4.56
Vertical: 38.5(!)
Broad Jump: 9' 11''
3-cone: 7.03
20yd-shuttle: 4.28
Bench Press: 19

No votes for Kizer. Of course it depends on which teams were surveyed and where they're picking.

I haven't paid much attention to QB prospects this year except to note that Trevor Knight seems like a decent enough athlete to be a potential WR conversion project for some team.

Hey guys, while looking at some linbackers at draftbreakdown.com, i came across Jordan Evans.

He had a really good pro day and i like him as a 3rd-day option.
40-yd Dash: 4.56
Vertical: 38.5(!)
Broad Jump: 9' 11''
3-cone: 7.03
20yd-shuttle: 4.28
Bench Press: 19

Yup! He is one of my official binkies this year, as I mentioned in the binkie thread. Good space player. Nice cover guy. The reason he doesn't get more buzz is that he's not great taking on blocks. Ask him to play close to the line as middle linebacker, and you're going to suffer in the run game. Ask him to play farther back, pick up TEs and RBs, and patrol zones, and you'll have a playmaker who can be disruptive against the pass.

Baylor is a good example of strengths and weaknesses. He's willing to take on guards, but he just doesn't have the size/strength/technique to disengage consistently. So many times Baylor converted on short downs because he got blocked in the hole. That said, he did some exceptional work on blitzes and dropping into coverage; he could have easily had 3 interceptions this game, in addition to the 2 sacks and 2 interceptions he did pick up. The potential is there if he's in the right role:

One thing I like doing: checking the highly rated prospect before a season starts, and keeping track of why they are no longer the top of their position group. Johnathan "Rudy" Ford, for example, was the #1 free safety last year for nfldraftscout, but now he's #11. He had a position change, less tackle production, and some injuries, but he ran in the upper 4.3 range at his pro day, and has special team experience. He certainly fits the profile for late round defensive backs around here. He might be a nice discount signing if he goes undrafted, although I imagine he has the athleticism and prior production to come off the board somewhere between the 5th and 7th rounds.

One of the more interesting aspects of following the draft is seeing the rise of some of these prospects:

Kevin King, Zay Jones, and Tyus Bowser in round 1. Remember when they could be had in rounds 3-4?

How about in early February when Reddick was discount Reuben Foster. He might be drafted above him.

Hopefully Basham's rise from rounds 4-5 to late round 2 stops there.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back