PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Compensatory Draft Pick Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

fester

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Let's track the players who may be taken into consideration for compensatory picks next year:

Losses:
Welker (AAV 6 million)
Chung (AAV 3 million)
Woodhead ( unknown)
Thomas (AAV 3.5 million)

Gains:
Amendola (AAV 5.5 million)
D. Jones ??? (not sure if players eligible for RFA tenders but are non-tendered enter the comp pick equation... clarification please)

Gains via cuts and thus not eligible for comp pick consideration:
Washington

The slot receivers effectively cancel each other out. The Patriots are looking at a net loss of two or three comp pick free agents. Assuming they all make their respective teams, the Pats are probably looking at a couple of 6th rounders.

Let's track the players who may be taken into consideration for compensatory picks next year:

Losses:
Welker (AAV 6 million)
Chung (AAV 3 million)
Woodhead ( unknown)
Thomas (AAV 3.5 million)

Gains:
Amendola (AAV 5.5 million)
D. Jones ??? (not sure if players eligible for RFA tenders but are non-tendered enter the comp pick equation... clarification please)

Gains via cuts and thus not eligible for comp pick consideration:
Washington

The slot receivers effectively cancel each other out. The Patriots are looking at a net loss of two or three comp pick free agents. Assuming they all make their respective teams, the Pats are probably looking at a couple of 6th rounders.

D Jones wasn't tendered so he doesn't count.. the question is if we sign Sanders does that count against us.. I know we loose the pick but I wonder if it affects count.

D Jones wasn't tendered so he doesn't count.. the question is if we sign Sanders does that count against us.. I know we loose the pick but I wonder if it affects count.

No, the comp picks are calculated purely by unrestricted free agent signings/losses, so Sanders would not count.

Don't forget about Svitek.

Seems like Welker and Amendola cancel each other out, Woodhead and Svitek also. That leaves Chung and Thomas. So probably two late-rounders. If by some miracle Trevor Scott signs for real money, maybe colllectively it might mean a fifth.

Don't forget about Svitek.

Seems like Welker and Amendola cancel each other out, Woodhead and Svitek also. That leaves Chung and Thomas. So probably two late-rounders. If by some miracle Trevor Scott signs for real money, maybe colllectively it might mean a fifth.

Svitek and Woodhead may not enter into the equation depending on what they signed for. Typically, players who have signed for the vet minimum don't end up figuring into the equation.

Chung and Thomas would each be fifth rounders, more than likely..

Using NFL awards 32 compensatory draft picks to 16 teams - NFL.com
and
2013 NFL Compensatory Pick Projections – Blogging the bEast

AdamJT13: Projecting the 2010 Compensatory NFL Draft Picks

one see that the lowest 5th round comp pick (Jarrett Johnson) was signed to a contract that had a APY of $4.75 million and the highest 6th round comp pick was signed to a contract that had a APY of $4.1 million.

Based on the above it seems to safe to project that the Patriots will get 2 6th round comp picks for Chung and Thomas.

we're forgetting about the addition of A Wilson. he probably cancels out the loss of Chung.
I wouldn't expect much.... if anything at all. the pats have done a good job of replacing their FA departures

While the original list forgot Adrian Wilson, we also forgot that he was released by the Cardinals, so he does not count either.

An updated view:

Losses:

Wes Welker $6mm AAV
Donald Thomas $3.5mm AAV
Patrick Chung $3.3mm AAV
Danny Woodhead $1.75mm AAV
(Brandon Lloyd released)

Gains
Danny Amendola $5.4mm AAV
Will Svitek $1mm AAV
(Adrian Wilson released)
(Leon Washington released)
(Donald Jones not tendered)
(Emmanuel Sanders, if signed, compensated through third)

Welker/Amendola cancel each other
Svitek/Woodhead cancel each other
Thomas & Chung would currently be compensated - as noted, assuming they and the players above stick with their teams.

According to recent formulas, they should return Sixth Round compensatory picks in the 2014 draft.

Stupid Sixth Round compensatory picks...

An updated view:

Losses:

Wes Welker $6mm AAV
Donald Thomas $3.5mm AAV
Patrick Chung $3.3mm AAV
Danny Woodhead $1.75mm AAV
(Brandon Lloyd released)

Gains
Danny Amendola $5.4mm AAV
Will Svitek $1mm AAV
(Adrian Wilson released)
(Leon Washington released)
(Donald Jones not tendered)
(Emmanuel Sanders, if signed, compensated through third)

Welker/Amendola cancel each other
Svitek/Woodhead cancel each other
Thomas & Chung would currently be compensated - as noted, assuming they and the players above stick with their teams.

If I understand the rules correctly, Lloyd wouldn't have counted for the 2014 picks anyways because he was on the roster when the league year began. Also, as you noted, this is dependent on everyone making their respective teams: if Svitek doesn't stick, for example, the Pats should qualify for a pick for Woodhead.

Also note Tommy Kelly was released by Oakland, given his $6.5mm cap charge, so as a released player he does not count.

Compensatory picks in 2014

What can we expect in terms of compensatory picks in 2014 for these players,

Wes Welker
Pat Chung
Donald Thomas
Danny Woodhead*

I expect all of them to be starters and major contributors on their new teams. In addition how could these compensatory picks effect our willingness to trade our current 2014 picks for 2013 draft purposes (additional picks, moving up, etc)?

*Not expected to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore