PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Youth Movement - the beat goes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamanai

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
For those of you still savoring the draft bounty of 12 players this year and 12 players drafted last year, chew on this. We may end up with another dozen picks in 2011.

In addition to the 1st from Oakland and 2nd from Carolina, that Pats also have New Orleans' 7th next year. Apparently, it was the compensation for Dave Thomas, TE. It was a pre-season trade last year for a 2011 conditional pick. He made the Saints roster and performed pretty well, so i'd have to believe the conditions were met and they owe us a pick. I've seen it listed in two different places, including Great Blue North Report, which is pretty good.

Also, assuming the Pats don't go crazy in signing qualifying Free Agents before June, they should land one or two compensatory selections for losing Watson and Green. Amazingly, these two guys were signed to pretty good sized contracts (particularly Green, whose contract has an average annual value of $5 million!). This year, that may have been a borderline 4th round comp pick (according to AdamJT13, who else?), but with contract inflation it is probably no worse than a 5th next year. Watson ($4 million average annual value) probably gives them a 5th or 6th...The Pats also still have Burgess and Hansen out there as possible pick-generators, should one of them sign somewhere else before June, and for $1.0m+

Conversely, these guys have been signed by the Pats, along with their qualifying status:

TE Alge Crumpler: UFA Titans; $4.8M/2 yrs, $1M SB...(I think he qualifies, so it would be nice to see Burgess sign somewhere and offset this)

—WR Torry Holt: UFA Jaguars; 1 yr, $1.7M...(does not count as he was cut by Jax)

—DT Damione Lewis: FA Panthers; 1 yr, terms unknown...(does not count as he was cut by Carolina)

—LB Marques Murrell: Not tendered as RFA by Jets; terms unknown...(does not count, non-tendered by Jets)

—WR David Patten: FA; terms unknown...(does not count - street FA)

Assumng someone signs that pass rushing stud, Derrick Burgess, here are the Pats 2011 Projected Draft Picks:

1 (Oak)
2 (Car)
5 Comp.
6 Comp.
7 (NO)

We can dream can't we? Here's our ideal scenario. Buffalo picks 1st in 2011 and takes Jake Locker. Oakland has a rash of bad karma and goes 3-13. We pick 2nd. I'm sure there will be some team that's not very good(Jax for instance) that could use a qb like R.Mallett. We trade down from 2 to another top 10 pick. Plus, get their 1st in 2012. Beat goes on.

Then just to throw everyone a curve. We trade up from our own 1st with the 2nd we get from Carolina and get two impact players!!

We can dream can't we? Here's our ideal scenario. Buffalo picks 1st in 2011 and takes Jake Locker. Oakland has a rash of bad karma and goes 3-13. We pick 2nd. I'm sure there will be some team that's not very good(Jax for instance) that could use a qb like R.Mallett. We trade down from 2 to another top 10 pick. Plus, get their 1st in 2012. Beat goes on.

Then just to throw everyone a curve. We trade up from our own 1st with the 2nd we get from Carolina and get two impact players!!

i think the new rookie pool would really decide for us if we traded or not in that situation. If it was actually reasonable, and rookie's stopped getting more money than proven vets, then there might not be a reason to trade down unless someone gives us a rickie williams type deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes