PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft comp pick - projections

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
For now the Patriots are projected to get a 6th round comp pick for Patrick Chung. Apparently signing Amendola canceled out the comp pick we would have gotten for Welker, etc.

2014 NFL compensatory pick projections

This is an unofficial projection, but apparently this guy nailed all the comp pick projections last year, so take it as you will.

I'll update this thread again once we get official results on the comp picks, but for those looking forward to the draft, this means we get an extra late 6th round pick, and that's about it.

Good stuff, thanks for posting it. Bad implications though -- I had no idea that Sopoaga would wind up counting against the Pats. Doesn't seem fair, really, since it was a trade and not a FA signing, but if that's the rule then that's the rule.

Puts the Sopoaga trade in more perspective though. Initially seemed like we just swapped from the 5th to 6th rounds to acquire him. But now, the cost also includes losing the 6th round comp pick we would have received for Donald Thomas. Based on results, that trade looks even worse now. Not sure if that would have changed how I felt at the time though, that it was a risk worth taking given the situation.

Like I said, this is an unofficial projection. Yes, the Sopoaga trade looks bad if we lost a pick as a result. We'll know for sure when the NFL officially announces the comp picks. Crossing fingers we can get more than a 6th but not optimistic right now.

Good stuff, thanks for posting it. Bad implications though -- I had no idea that Sopoaga would wind up counting against the Pats. Doesn't seem fair, really, since it was a trade and not a FA signing, but if that's the rule then that's the rule.

Puts the Sopoaga trade in more perspective though. Initially seemed like we just swapped from the 5th to 6th rounds to acquire him. But now, the cost also includes losing the 6th round comp pick we would have received for Donald Thomas. Based on results, that trade looks even worse now. Not sure if that would have changed how I felt at the time though, that it was a risk worth taking given the situation.

Sopoaga shouldn't count, since he was acquired very late in the season. Normally pickups that happen in TC and beyond don't count.

Edit: The article made the comparison to Drew Stanton in 2012. That's not really a good comparison, because Stanton was traded in March (just a week after he signed!), while Sopoaga was traded in October.

Edit 2: One other thing to note—Sopoaga had more PT with PHI than he did with NE: he had 238 snaps in 8 games for the Iggles, and 119 snaps in 6 games for NE.

Compensatory Picks Projections Update - a 6th rounder for the Patriots

By:

Update from prior projection - I forgot that Isaac Sopoaga was an...

Re: Compensatory Picks Projections Update - a 6th rounder for the Patriots

By:

Update from prior projection - I forgot that Isaac Sopoaga was an...

It's not clear to me that Sopoaga would count against NE the way that Drew Stanton did; Stanton was traded a week after he signed, back in March; Sopoaga was traded in late October.

He also had more PT with the Eagles than he did with the Patriots.

I'm not saying he definitely doesn't count, merely that I see it as more a 50-50 thing than an absolute given.

This article agrees with you that the Patriots will get a 6th round pick for Chung and that the Sopoanga trade affected us getting another pick.
Although it was probably a good idea at the time, it sure turned out to be a bad trade on our part.

"Isaac Sopoaga, who was signed from San Francisco by Philadelphia, and then traded to New England, affected the San Francisco and New England calculations. This was based upon how Drew Stanton (signed by the Jets from the Lions, and then traded to the Colts) was treated last year by the NFL."

Read more at 2014 NFL compensatory pick projections

Sixth round?
That's our magic round!

Miguel;3751509[url=http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teams said:
NFL awards 32 compensatory draft picks to 16 teams - NFL.com[/url]

shows Stanton as being acquired by the Colts.

My point is that Stanton was traded a week after he signed. Will that hold true for Sopoaga, who was traded at the deadline, and in fact played more with his old team than his new one?

The guy is 100% wrong regarding Sopoaga. Sopoaga will not count against the Patriots. He'll count against Philly. And the reasoning being what CTPatsfans77 said. It's the team he is on at the start of the season, which was Philly, not New England. It's why players who are signed and cut before the start of the season don't count in the picture as well.

Furthermore, Will Svitek will not count since he was signed for a Vet Minimum deal and last year's low was around 1.2M..

The guy is 100% wrong regarding Sopoaga. Sopoaga will not count against the Patriots. He'll count against Philly.

Furthermore, Will Svitek will not count since he was signed for a Vet Minimum deal and last year's low was around 1.2M..

Do you forsee three comp picks then? Two sixes and a seventh perhaps?

The players who count are the ones who make teams at the start of the season. Where was Sopoaga at the start of the season? With Philly. So he will count for Philly, not for the Patriots.

Furthermore, Will Svitek signed a very low deal ($844K). That is below what last year's threshhold for counting in the figures was, so I doubt he will off-set the Woodhead signing.

It's my belief that the Pats will get 2 6's and a 7th.

EDIT: So I read AdamJT's explanation and it doesn't make any sense since for every other part of the calculation, it matters whether or not the player was on the team for the start of the season.

EDIT: Regarding the Keary Colbert Example. I think that one could look at it and point out that the reason that the Seahawks were charged with "signing" is because Colbert spent 7 weeks with that team vs. only 2 weeks with Denver.

Do you forsee three comp picks then? Two sixes and a seventh perhaps?

Yes.. Unless what Adam and Miguel have posted regarding Sopoaga is truly the case. To me, it doesn't make sense since every other part of the compensation equation uses the opening roster date as a cut-off point.

Furthermore, when researching the Keary Kolbert example, I found that Kolbert actually spent more time with the Seahawks (7 weeks) than he did with Denver (2 weeks). And while Sopoaga was with the Pats for 9 regular season weeks, he only played in 6 games.

The players who count are the ones who make teams at the start of the season. Where was Sopoaga at the start of the season? With Philly. So he will count for Philly, not for the Patriots.

Furthermore, Will Svitek signed a very low deal ($844K). That is below what last year's threshhold for counting in the figures was, so I doubt he will off-set the Woodhead signing.

It's my belief that the Pats will get 2 6's and a 7th.

EDIT: So I read AdamJT's explanation and it doesn't make any sense since for every other part of the calculation, it matters whether or not the player was on the team for the start of the season.

EDIT: Regarding the Keary Colbert Example. I think that one could look at it and point out that the reason that the Seahawks were charged with "signing" is because Colbert spent 7 weeks with that team vs. only 2 weeks with Denver.

DB: do you have a link on the cutoff figure? It matters whether you mean the lowest salary that resulted in a pick, or the minimum to be considered in the formula.

Miguel projects the Pats only get a single 6th round pick as well.

Compensatory Picks Projections Update ? a 6th rounder for the Patriots :patriots Salary Cap

Looks like Bill will need to do some trade backs if he wants extra picks.

I'm not sure how long the guy stays with the team matters. Unless you've seen it stated somewhere in the rules?

Because the player has to be on the roster for a certain number of games to count add a FA gained/lost. A signing that doesn't pan out shouldn't hurt a team's comp picks.

That makes the Sopoaga acquisition a really poor move.

Based on how he turned out, I would agree, yes.

But based on the circumstances at the time - the Patriots were looking at being without both of their starting defensive tackles for the remainder of the season - I would consider the trade to be a smart move that made a lot of sense. With no Vince Wilfork and no Tommy Kelly, simply moving down one round in the draft (trading away a 5th and receiving a 6th in return) in exchange for a big body who had started for the last five years was absolutely the right decision.

The only risk was not losing a late round pick, but picking up his contract. But given the circumstances, I would still say it was the right choice - regardless of how it turned out.

Furthermore, Will Svitek signed a very low deal ($844K).

Svitek's deal also included a 10,000 per game roster bonus (he played in 13) and up to 500K in playing-team incentives. Have no idea how much, if any, of the 500K he earned.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back