PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Injury News Thornton injury update

So after the final cut-down he likely goes on IR (if he has a broken collarbone) and returns later in the year? Is that about right?

So much for having to trade Bourne or Agholor to create room and playing time for some of the youngsters.

A broken collarbone takes 6-8 weeks to heal. He should be good to go by late October at the latest, if that’s what his injury is

This sucks.
This was my second rated binkie he looks real promising but slight builds can be a problem in the NFL.
While watching that play I didn’t understand why after the whistle was blown the Carolina players continued to take him to the ground hard.
I was pissed while watching this.
Now we get to see Pickens tear the league up; while we are left wondering will we see Thornton this season and how does this impact his ability and development.

The doom and gloom is nonsense. Collarbones are relatively harmless injuries and routinely heal without issue. It’s not a knee, ankle, or lower body injury that could impact his speed or confidence in his legs.

If it’s a minor fracture, he’ll be ready by week 1-2. If it’s more significant, week 3-5. Either way, this isn’t something that should have any meaningful impact on Thornton’s potential, physically or mentally, or have any impact on his ability to continue to do what he’s been doing so far. Unfortunate he won’t get the valuable practice reps but in the grand scheme of things this is small fries.

Two other things:

1. Guy needs to go down. Appreciate him fighting for yards, but get out of bounds or give yourself up.

2. Similarly, I appreciate the fact the guy is a willing blocker but the coaching staff is asking for trouble having him as a routine, inline, between the tackles blocker (as I’ve seen them do at least twice). That should be reserved for unique circumstances and should not be a regular occurrence.

Last edited:
The doom and gloom is nonsense. Collarbones are relatively harmless injuries and routinely heal without issue. It’s not a knee, ankle, or lower body injury that was impact his speed or confidence in his legs.

If it’s a minor fracture, he’ll be ready by week 1-2. If it’s more significant, week 3-5. Either way, this isn’t something that should have any meaningful impact on Thornton’s potential, physically or mentally, or have any impact on his ability to continue to do what he’s been doing so far. Unfortunate he won’t get the valuable practice reps but in the grand scheme of things this is small fries.

Two other things:

1. Guy needs to go down. Appreciate him fighting for yards, but get out of bounds or give yourself up.

2. Similarly, I appreciate the fact the guy is a willing blocker but the coaching staff is asking for trouble having him as a routine, inline, between the tackles blocker (as I’ve seen them do at least twice). That should be reserved for unique circumstances and should not be a regular occurrence.
I broke mine and it never aligned right when it healed but it's never been a problem. And you're right...it's deffo minor compared to a knee injury.

I broke mine and it never aligned right when it healed but it's never been a problem. And you're right...it's deffo minor compared to a knee injury.

I’ve had multiple doctors tell me mine is misaligned and speculate I broke it but I never went to the doctor/hospital with an acute collarbone injury. Took a shot to the chest playing pickup football in middle school. Felt something ‘off’ immediately and thought I’d broken it. I remember just walking it off and rotating my arm/shoulder a lot, but never got it seen. That’s the only thing I can think of that’d explain it.

I’m sure there are exceptions but collarbones are generally low risk injuries as far as I know. Extremely common in cycling and those guys will be back on the bike turning miles bearing weight on their arms/shoulders/chest as they ride within 3-4 weeks, most of the time. Football is a different beast but I’d be surprised if Thornton isn’t back by September. He’s a young and athletic kid, clearly bought in. He’ll heal fast.

Not surprising. When you draft a guy who is built like a pencil, you accept an increased risk of injuries. This makes an impact rookie season for TT low probability.

You can’t possibly know if another player, under the same circumstances, wouldn’t have also broken their collarbone. To use this single injury, in a vacuum, to push an “injury prone” agenda on a player who has played two preseason games in his entire career, and didn’t have an extensive injury history in college, is absolute bologna.

Call him injury prone when he can’t get on the field over his first two seasons with recurring, nagging issues.

Terrible that this kid invests time/effort to improve, flashes tantalizing potential, catches some bad luck with an injury, and posters then start jumping all over the guy in their selfish rush to confirmation bias.

Redundant to above post ^

Last edited:
The collar bone is the easiest bone in the human body to break… but his only broke because he’s skinny… good grief.

Just for giggles… which muscle surrounds and protects the collar bone that he should have worked out and bulked up?

Oh yeah…. none.

If it means anything, it’s that Thornton needs to learn to go down and not fight through a herd of defenders (just as most other offensive skill players should do when facing 3-4 swarming tacklers). I’m assuming the injury happened when he had, like, 3-4 tacklers land on him. Depending on the angle of your arm when you land, that would break a lot of guys’ collarbones, regardless of their weight.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back