PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please help me to not worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What the heck is going on?

I'm more than a little disappointed that since free agency started, we haven't bothered to address a single problem we had last year. Our defense was horrible and we didn't pick up a single player who could help improve it.

And then we have the whole WR problem. We desperately needed another good WR to help Moss and Welker (when he gets back) but we passed on Boldin, who would have given us a huge lift on offense.

Seriously, what is going on at the Pats office? This is an uncapped year so there is NO EXCUSE for being afraid to spend to help the team get back to the superbowl. :mad:

Yes or no were you sent here by Chris Hanson?

No Jack, it's an epic failure because Kraft is too cheap (because he's building new stores in his mall or something) to open up his wallet to keep his own players. On top of that, Billy Boy has lost his touch and thinks he can go into next year with a bunch of undrafted FAs at key positions. Furthermore, Belichick's method of bringing back old retreads is preventing them from keeping good players or drafting young guys. In fact, rumors are that Billy is trying to bring Anthony Pleasant, Bobby Hamilton and Otis Smith to be starters for next years team rather than acquiring younger players.

The team spends very close to the cap every year, they're not cheap, they simply don't blow their wad on one or two high profile players to the neglect of the team. Carolina has had Peppers all along and what has it gotten them? Give me a solid roster of good players any day over a roster with holes but a few big names.

You might be right on BB, I think Walter and Randle El would have been very good FAs to bring in for reasonable money and those have slipped away, now we're forced to make due or spend much needed draft picks on a receiver. BB has also failed to secure good coordinators, perhaps he's best when he simply coaches and other aspects to the operation are handled by someone else, maybe we could use a Polian like GM who makes the personal decisions.

I suggest that you restrict you worrying to once a week, at the end of each week of free agency. We haven't reached the end of Week One yet.

And how horrible have the first five days been? We've re-signed Wilfork, Neal, Banta-Cain and Bodden. As you say, we picked up Patten. The week isn't over yet.

We need 2 DE's, 2 OLB's, 2 TE's, 2 RB's and 2 WR's. We'd also like an ILB and an OG. and a punter makes 13 needs.

Do you think that we had fewer needs at this time in 2001, 2003, 3004 or 2007? Perhaps we were better off in 2004, but in the other years.

BOTTOM LINE
Take a long deep breath. There are 44 days until the draft and then another several months of the offseason before Game One. The offseason is a marathon, NOT a sprint.

I don't want to worry about football in March. I want to think about the Red Sox and about the Black Sox (my softball team).

But outside of signing Vince & Tully, both of which I am very happy about, and bringing in Patten, which the nostalgia part of me likes, but the football part of me is a little confused about, what have the Pats done so far this offseason?

I am sure there is lots of good logic behind their still waters approach, so please, share some of it with me!

As far as I can see, we still need:

1. An every down running back that can run out the clock and push the pile. maybe Michael bUsh is this guy.

2. A pass rusher. Or two.

3. A #2 WR. And possibly a #3, or is that Patten?

4. A strong CB. I don't know when Leigh Bodden became Michael Haynes, but I still think our secondary is suspect. And besides, we still haven't retained Leigh Bodden.

5. Another LB. Not a front line guy, but a solid rotation man. I am assuming Adalius Thomas won't be here. And even if he is, can we count on him anymore?

Not trying to ruffle feathers at all - I really need someone to give me an intelligent argument that exoplains just waht the heck the Pats are doing?!?!?!

Or NOT doing?!?!?!

I don't want to worry about football in March. I want to think about the Red Sox and about the Black Sox (my softball team).

But outside of signing Vince & Tully, both of which I am very happy about, and bringing in Patten, which the nostalgia part of me likes, but the football part of me is a little confused about, what have the Pats done so far this offseason?

I am sure there is lots of good logic behind their still waters approach, so please, share some of it with me!

As far as I can see, we still need:

1. An every down running back that can run out the clock and push the pile. maybe Michael bUsh is this guy.

2. A pass rusher. Or two.

3. A #2 WR. And possibly a #3, or is that Patten?

4. A strong CB. I don't know when Leigh Bodden became Michael Haynes, but I still think our secondary is suspect. And besides, we still haven't retained Leigh Bodden.

5. Another LB. Not a front line guy, but a solid rotation man. I am assuming Adalius Thomas won't be here. And even if he is, can we count on him anymore?

Not trying to ruffle feathers at all - I really need someone to give me an intelligent argument that exoplains just waht the heck the Pats are doing?!?!?!

Or NOT doing?!?!?!

#1 the pats don't run much more they 20 time's a game. so maroney can get it done and maybe add a guy like LeGarrette Blount, in the late rounds of the draft. a 6 feet 241lbs power back with speed would help

#2 re-signing TBC is a nice start. im sure BB will draft 2 or 3 guys to get to the QB

#3 there are still a few guys out there the pats can bring in at WR and i think they will draft one.

#4 i think they are pretty good at corner. booden and butler, are not better at less not yet then samuel but both are better then hobbs, with a good front 7 and a pass rush they will look like all pro CB's

#5 burgess. and the draft

no they do not look better then the team that only won 10 games last year. but re-signing key FA's is a good start. if they fill a few more holes with FA's and have a good draft. this team can go as far as they want to go.

We need 2 DE's,2 OLB's,

I think we need 1 of each. Maybe a hybrid guy as well depending on the formations Belichick wants to run. Any more and you are acquiring competition for spots (which is a good thing but not a need).

No doubt.

The Pats have 4 under contract for 2010 (I believe). I don't think 6 are needed.

and 2 WR's.

The Pats have 3 WRs and Welker on PUP. Can you name the 5th WR on any team in the league? Aiken is a perfectly fine ST captain and 5th WR.

We'd also like an ILB

Have 3 of them. A 4th ILB is a good use of a roster spot provided he is a solid ST guy. Don't the Pats have Alexander for that?

and an OG.

Good Lord! How many do the Pats need? They have 6 interior lineman and Kaczur as an additional possibility.

and a punter

Yes. Yes they do.

I guess I draw distinctions between needs, upgrades (replacing guy on roster) and competition (giving a guy a chance to displace someone). The Pats definitely have needs at DE, OLB, TE, TE, WR and P. They could use upgrades at every position except QB, NT and possibly S. I think every position could use competition.

So I have no doubt that the Pats will acquire 13+ players between now and camp. I suspect a good number won't stick or will be developmental players. With the players re-signed, the shopping list is much less daunting. In fact, getting a 3-4 DE, rush OLB and TE in the top 50 picks in this draft makes the roster look pretty solid. The remaining needs (TE, WR, P) can be had with mid-level FAs or the remaining draft picks. The rest is contingency and future planning.

No worries here. The Pats are positioned just fine for 2010 and beyond. It will all come down to health. If Brady bounces back, Welker is back for the stretch run, Moss doesn't break down next year, and the recent run of nasty injuries calms down a bit, I have no doubt the Pats win the division ready for a run through the playoffs. Lots left to be done but lots of opportunities to do it.

The Jest won the pennant, all NE's chowdah belongs to them. :stars2:

I think we need 1 of each.

I guess I draw distinctions between needs, upgrades (replacing guy on roster) and competition (giving a guy a chance to displace someone). The Pats definitely have needs at DE, OLB, TE, TE, WR and P. They could use upgrades at every position except QB, NT and possibly S. I think every position could use competition.

I don't see much of a need at TE. The Pats don't sue a tight end much in the passign game anyway. They should just concentrate on getting a couple of blocking tight ends like Crumpler and/r Fells. I really don't want to see them draft a tight end earlier than their last 2nd round pick or preferably their 4th round pick.

tom-brady-randy-moss-patriots-collage-8x10-photo_63c491eac358246025e2d06fcc77c1aa.jpg

There you go. Stop worrying.

We agree almost entirely. See below for further comments on the disagreements.

DEFENSIVE END
I say we need two needs. We need one player to Burgess and one to replace Green. And that's to get back to where we were last year. I cannot understand not making sure we get a Seymour-type DE and a passrushing role player.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
I say we need two needs. We have a situational passrusher and a bunch of nothing. Are you really depending on Crable, Ninkovich, Woods and Thomas?

RUNNING BACK
You say we have four under contract and don't need two more. Fair enough. I could go with only four. However, I'm not sure we have more than one we can count on between Taylor, Morris and Green-Ellis. I think we need a 3rd down back and one more to go along with Maroney and the surivivor of the other three. I having no problem with a fifth RB, but one is almost always inactive, even with two injuries.

WIDE RECEIVER
I'm fine with Aiken as the #5. You are counting on Tate who has played one game in two years and is hopefully a future contributer at WR. I think that we need a #2 and a #4. I agree that a #5 is a STer and a luxury. HOWEVER, if we don't have or don't use a receiving TE, then the need is greater. I think that most her can indeed name 5 Indy receivers.

================
WANTS -INSIDE LINEBACKER
I agree that this is a want not a need. HOWEVER, we are counting on McKenzie who has never played. I think it reasonable to want to have another ILB rather than Alexander.

WANTS - GUARD
You may be ahppy with the quantity of our interior linemen. I can only say that we have exactly ZERO guards that we can count on for the 2011 season and one center (and many are not really happy with him). That leaves four roster spots to be filled in 2011, perhaps with present group. There are some fine OG's in the draft. I think a 2nd rounder would help the team.

I think we need 1 of each. Maybe a hybrid guy as well depending on the formations Belichick wants to run. Any more and you are acquiring competition for spots (which is a good thing but not a need).

No doubt.

The Pats have 4 under contract for 2010 (I believe). I don't think 6 are needed.

The Pats have 3 WRs and Welker on PUP. Can you name the 5th WR on any team in the league? Aiken is a perfectly fine ST captain and 5th WR.

Have 3 of them. A 4th ILB is a good use of a roster spot provided he is a solid ST guy. Don't the Pats have Alexander for that?

Good Lord! How many do the Pats need? They have 6 interior lineman and Kaczur as an additional possibility.

Yes. Yes they do.

So I have no doubt that the Pats will acquire 13+ players between now and camp. I suspect a good number won't stick or will be developmental players. With the players re-signed, the shopping list is much less daunting. In fact, getting a 3-4 DE, rush OLB and TE in the top 50 picks in this draft makes the roster look pretty solid. The remaining needs (TE, WR, P) can be had with mid-level FAs or the remaining draft picks. The rest is contingency and future planning.

No worries here. The Pats are positioned just fine for 2010 and beyond. It will all come down to health. If Brady bounces back, Welker is back for the stretch run, Moss doesn't break down next year, and the recent run of nasty injuries calms down a bit, I have no doubt the Pats win the division ready for a run through the playoffs. Lots left to be done but lots of opportunities to do it.

I love the team's moves so far securing three key pieces of the defense with long term deals to Vince, TBC, and Bodden. That is 3 key starting spots for at least 4-5 years.

I believe these moves also eliminated the NEED to draft a position. We can sit back and let the draft board and trades come to us and be able to navigate draft.

With the draft picks we have, we can more than address needs else where (DE/OLB, WR, TE, and OL) or draft for depth.

Seriously, we totally need more playmakers at the WR position.

hey guys, don't worry. bill belichick is super man. his presence alone will make up for not having a solid TE, RB, etc. :rolleyes:

hey guys, don't worry. bill belichick is super man. his presence alone will make up for not having a solid TE, RB, etc. :rolleyes:

Like, say...2007? :confused:

And we don't have any possible way of adding to our roster over the next 6 months? :confused2:

Last edited:

Offseason has just begun so don't need to panic yet. But without upgrades at the weak spots from last year (which hasn't happened yet), the end result will be the same as last year. There is so much time between now and the season let the people vent a little.

You're right we need Rod Rust back. We never use the TE so why are you crying about not having one? Alge Crumpler or Fells for less money makes sense to me and how can you say we don't have a solid RB? I would define all of our current RB's as solid, not spectacular, solid. There is a LONG way to go in this offseason and compared to other teams I think our holes are a lot easier to fill than the others in our division.

This thread ... it's a bit early for April fools isn't it :confused3:

Well I think instead of going for a questionable player like we did with Galloway last year, we should have at least tried to get Boldin. With Moss, Welker, Boldin, and Edelman, that would be a pretty potent offense.

It would be, but Boldin would have cost 7M per year and draft picks. I think the Pats will look at a mid level free agent receiver then look to draft some young receivers.

The defense was 5th in points allowed last season. Lack of a pass rush was the biggest problem, and the only free agent who would help there was Julius Peppers. The second best pass rushing free agent was TBC, who they re-signed. Jason Taylor is a possibility, but he underwent shoulder surgery and they won't kick his tires until after the draft. We'll have to wait for the draft to see how they address the pass rush. Other than that, last year's defense was fine, and some of the rookies from last year (and hopefully Crable and Wheatler) should continue to progress.

Honestly the offense's inability to move the ball in the 2nd half was the biggest problem last year. Yeah, the defense got gashed in the playoff game, but that was more of anomaly than something that happened all year.

Cousin,
BB would have to use a bowling ball bag for a jock strap if he thinks Crable and Wheatley are going to fix this defense or Patten is the answer to our WR issues.

I remember about year before the Moss trade saying it was a good idea to look at Moss from the Raiders. (DW , The guy "with all the stupid ideas" as it was so eloquently put yesterday by a posterette). I am still treating my back with Unguentine for the burns I got from this forum when I mentioned Moss.

We Draft at #22. Tell me exactly if there is a better play maker or NFL ready proven player than Brandon Marshall from that point on through the entire Draft? You can structure a contract that steps on his throat. Am I the only one who thinks that can be done? You Cousins know it can be done.

You Marshall haters. Who here agree the Patriots would be a better football team the second Marshall signs a contract here?

Moss has got one more year. I hope we resign him for at least two more. BB says Moss is the smartest WR he has ever seen. Randy has matured. Perhaps he and Patten and Welker (and Brady) show this young man how to grow up? Marshall is the insurance we need for 2011 in case Moss is not resigned, Tate is a bust, Welker never returns to form (heaven forbid) and Patten applies for AARP.

Gillette Field P.A. Announcer-Your 2011 N.E Patriots starting line up........ At left WR Julian Edleman....(crowd noise) Yeaaaaaa! at Patriots right side WR...Julian Edleman!(crowd noise) Yeaaaaaa! and at Slot Reciever...Julian Edleman!......(crowd noise)Yeaaaaaaa! ......But look how much we saved on the CAP if there is one.

Here is the irony. 85% of this forum would say Draft Dez Bryant if he slips to #22. He has some issues as well and we do not know what he will do when his jeans are full of NFL cash.

IMO Trade #22 for Marshal. Remove the temptation for Bill to trade out of it and go into the second (gulp!) round. I don't know, deep Draft or not, if he can stand not moving down. His palms will start to sweat when Washington calls looking to get back in the first and Draft Bradford or K.C. calls looking to Draft a Spikes if he slips. "Just say no" Bill!

If you get Marshall at #22, anyone behind him is not anywhere near as talented. It is not even close. The Pats are now a problem for the rest of the league defenses and Welker isn't even back yet. The whole balance of the NFL shifts again to the Patriots advantage.

Trouble? Irving Fryar was in knife fights with his wife before Patriots games and snorted the night before the NCAA Championship game with Miami. He finally straightened out and went to a Pro Bowl here but three others when he grew up. Terry Glenn was no walk in the park. Hart Lee Dykes....? You ask why temp fate with this guy then? Because you have a weapon as in a extended contract he seeks. Because you stand on his toes. Godell is already up his derriere. I guarantee this kid will arrive for practice two hours early in a snow storm after Bill agrees to give him his new contract.

Ask yourself if he could win two or three more games for the Pats in 2010. I say yes.

Now you still have three top Draft choices in the top 53 and not have to worry if you newly Drafted WR is another Chad Jackson (Bill, remember Chad? Get Marshall. Bill, In your last on the field meeting with Marshall he had 8 catches and 2 TDs including the one to tie the game.)

In the Draft, remember the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

I guess I vote yes on Marshall.
DW Toys

Last edited:

Really? Really? O no! We're doomed! We weren't one of the first few teams to sign a DE! What 3-4 teams have made a move on a DE/OLB so far? There is plenty of time for trades (and plenty of ammo), shots at RFA, and then of course the draft itself. I don't think the defense is in as bad of shape as some people here seem to think. We need a DE and an OLB. Prior showed some flashes last year, I would pencil him in the rotation anyways. I think McKenzie will prove to be our missing Ted Johnson type (Coaches were raving about him before the knee...). Be interestin to see what happens to Guyton, who seems to be improving quite well. I love how our secondary projects to next year (assume butler/Wheatley/Wilhite improve, S play should also improve as they learn to communicate better), mix in a hit on some sort of pocket collapsing presence in the draft and things look a bit better. People have also been throwing around Gocong's name for OLB, don't know much about him.

Yes, we need some help at WR. Yes we need a TE. how hard is it to find a good blocking TE? Not like we use em in the passing game anyways... A decent running back should be available in the 3rd/4th (damn you Burgess). I love Ben Tate...hope his combine didn't move him up too much. I still don't like the thoughts of Spiller in the first, but after locking up Wilfork/TBC/Bodden, I don't see how you don't pounce if hes within striking distance. Still think the pick is better spent on a DE/OLB.

We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, do you guys really think we pick with all 4 of them? I assume atleast one of those is traded, wether that is into next year or for a player(s), remains to be seen. In the meantime, stop raising your bloodpressure when there is 5 weeks til the draft.

Sure it would have been nice to sign a player like a Boldin, but we also needed to sign both Wilfork and Bodden or that would have been two more huge holes we would be panicking about needing to fill. Now that both players are back on board we can calmly look for some of the second tier players to fill the other holes, and prepare for the draft, without panicking and throwing bad money around.

Between the OP and DW this thread begs the question, why on earth DO we have a Practice Squad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News