PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we worry about or regret Kayshon Boutte getting cut?

If the scouts don’t love him and his combine numbers are pedestrian we should cut him, as we all know they are never wrong. I mean they totally knew what a stiff Tom Brady would be
Until shown otherwise I trust the Patriots decision making on whether to keep or cut a receiver. I can’t think of a single instance in twenty plus years where they cut a young receiver and he went on to have significant contributions elsewhere.

We need a young, stud receiver and currently have three cracks at it. I think we should give them all a chance on the 53.
Assuming all the roster locks sit in game three, my bench warmer WR binkie will be Thyrick Pitts.

I hope Zappe plays quite a bit and feeds the kid, let's see what he can do.

Repeating what I said in the Texans preseason postgame, on the play that Zappe hesitated on the long ball to Thornton, imho Boutte had 3rd pick overall Stingley Jr. beat on the other side (off of press) if Zappe decided to roll the dice that way, and that's before Stingley fell down. It was only one play, but it was a glimpse.

Repeating what I said in the initial post draft thread, his 48.27 400m in HS (initially thought to be 47.82 but that's Mekhi Boutte's time) tells me he potentially still has incredible speed endurance. That means he gets to retain his overall speed even after only 45-60s of rest in between each play. At crunch time, when you see guys huffing and puffing, Boutte won't need to go to the well.

Side note: fastest 400m runner in the draft this year, Derius Davis, already has a punt return TD this preseason.

Some guys play faster than their 40 time & others who’s 40 time is not very good, have no problem getting open.

Look at Anquan Bolden 4.71 in the 40.
He got open a lot easier than Dorsett or Thornton.

DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57 & Davante Adams, Antonio Brown ran a 4.56 at the combine. Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62

footwork and body control are very important and areas of concern for Thornton.

I don’t think anyone would take Thornton over Cooper Kupp

Last edited:
I think and hope Thornton is fine and just bruised. I think there’s an element of keeping things under wraps in regards to Douglas and Thornton. Both guys have put on shows in practice and joint practices, have shown their potential. If you want to sneak up on the league, you don’t showcase those guys in preseason.

Regarding roster spots, consider the Patriots typically carry 3 TE’s and a FB, or they carry 4 TE’s in a non-FB offense. Gesicki and Hunter are locks. They could cut both Firkser and Sokol knowing that one or both will make it to the practice squad. That would allow them to carry 2 TE’s on cutdown day, make the moves they need to and promote a third TE when they’re ready.

Again, we’ll see how much Boutte plays in game three. If he plays a lot in the first half he’ll have to standout. If he doesn’t play much or at all it means he’s probably a lock already. It sounds like he is only getting better and better from practice reports.

With both Douglas and Thornton battling injuries, I don’t see Boutte being cut. Your starting WR’s for game one may be Parker, Smith-Schuster, Bourne and Boutte. Plus, he’s been really good when given a chance. I can see another team trying to steal him if the Pats try to sneak him onto the practice squad.

Boutte reminds me of a smaller, faster Jakobi Meyers. He runs good routes, always seems open, and he has good hands. Not a speed demon, but seems to be able to turn on the jets in the open field with the ball in his hands.

Boutte more or less made the roster based on last preseason game and the last 2 weeks
With both Douglas and Thornton battling injuries, I don’t see Boutte being cut. Your starting WR’s for game one may be Parker, Smith-Schuster, Bourne and Boutte. Plus, he’s been really good when given a chance. I can see another team trying to steal him if the Pats try to sneak him onto the practice squad.

Boutte reminds me of a smaller, faster Jakobi Meyers. He runs good routes, always seems open, and he has good hands. Not a speed demon, but seems to be able to turn on the jets in the open field with the ball in his hands.
Route running is the key here. Both thronton and Harry were average in it.

Boutte more or less made the roster based on last preseason game and the last 2 weeks

Route running is the key here. Both thronton and Harry were average in it.
I agree, I think we are seeing the early LSU Boutte instead of last year’s Boutte. May have a steal if he works out. He’s been too good to take a chance on losing, same goes for Douglas.

I can't imagine them cutting Boutte. Someone would take a flyer on him, IMO.
The decision isn’t whether anyone would take a flyer but whether you accept that he is gone.
Anyone on the practice squad is available at any time, they live on waivers.
There is no stashing on the practice squad because you have no claim to them if another team wants them, today or later.
You always lose players you hope could have a future. You can’t game the system despite the best efforts of fans to pretend you can.

Leadership this is why BB brought him back. See how BB consulted him when Bolden was injured.
Where did you hear he consulted Slater?

The decision isn’t whether anyone would take a flyer but whether you accept that he is gone.
Anyone on the practice squad is available at any time, they live on waivers.
There is no stashing on the practice squad because you have no claim to them if another team wants them, today or later.
You always lose players you hope could have a future. You can’t game the system despite the best efforts of fans to pretend you can.
I understand the practice squad rules.

But for the waivers after the initial cut anyone who is claimed has to be on the 53 man roster in week 1. That limits who would take him on at that point. After that initial waiver period, the Pats could IR a veteran they want to keep but know for a fact wouldn't clear waivers, then resign Boutte or whoever to the 53 man roster.

I would call that gaming the system no? And its perfectly within the rules.

Slater won’t get cut. If Belichick decides he doesn’t have a roster spot for him then they will have the discussion and Slater will hold a press conference and retire with dignity. No way Belichick does him dirty, As far as Boutte goes I think they will try to keep him on P.S. with a larger than usual P.S.salary.

This is the first I've ever heard someone translate the 400m to football. Interesting take.
Well, I did spray some air freshener to offset talking out of my a$Ś.

In all seriousness, Boutte ran a 21.29 200m indoors as a 17 year old. Not sure why he's not on the World Athletics U18 list, but that should be in the top 20 of all time in the world. (Just remembered the eligibility for that is weird - if only he ran it 19 days earlier.) He seemed to be just as fast indoors as outdoors which indicates he's able to keep his speed despite having to lean hard indoors - speculating that may apply to football. Randy Moss ran 21.15 indoor his frosh year of college at 19.

Just hope he stays healthy.

But for the waivers after the initial cut anyone who is claimed has to be on the 53 man roster in week 1. That limits who would take him on at that point. After that initial waiver period, the Pats could IR a veteran they want to keep but know for a fact wouldn't clear waivers, then resign Boutte or whoever to the 53 man roster.

I would call that gaming the system no? And its perfectly within the rules.
So, no team will claim Boutte after he doesn't amke our 53 man roster. The patriots will then sign him and put him on our 53 man roster, presuming again that no other team in the NFL is interested.
=======
This makes no sense.

Why not simply cut Bryant or Bolden? No one is picking up either of them (or make your own choice). There may be several players that we would rather risk for a day compared to Boutte.

The next day Bolden will go the IR (along with Thornton).

If we really want Boutte on the 53, then we shouldn't make him available to other teams. It really is that simple.

Some guys play faster than their 40 time & others who’s 40 time is not very good, have no problem getting open.

Look at Anquan Bolden 4.71 in the 40.
He got open a lot easier than Dorsett or Thornton.

DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57 & Davante Adams, Antonio Brown ran a 4.56 at the combine. Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62

footwork and body control are very important and areas of concern for Thornton.

I don’t think anyone would take Thornton over Cooper Kupp
No doubt - heck as you probably know Bourne ran a 4.68 at the Combine!

I would call that gaming the system no? And it’s perfectly within the rules.
You can claim a player who is cut and then cut him and put him on the practice squad. There is no requirement to keep them on the 53.

You can’t IR a player who isn’t injured. But they have to be on the 53 to be able to return. That move is to protect the guy who is injured.

So, no team will claim Boutte after he doesn't amke our 53 man roster. The patriots will then sign him and put him on our 53 man roster, presuming again that no other team in the NFL is interested.
=======
This makes no sense.

Why not simply cut Bryant or Bolden? No one is picking up either of them (or make your own choice). There may be several players that we would rather risk for a day compared to Boutte.

The next day Bolden will go the IR (along with Thornton).

If we really want Boutte on the 53, then we shouldn't make him available to other teams. It really is that simple.
If you want him on the team you keep him. If you cut him to put him on the practice squad it’s because you don’t want him as one of your 53, not because you are guessing whether he will be claimed.

Do you have a link, it sounds interesting. I’d love to hear how he explained it.
I'll try and find it, I read it the day after the game.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back