PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we worry about or regret Kayshon Boutte getting cut?

Well, I did spray some air freshener to offset talking out of my a$Ś.

In all seriousness, Boutte ran a 21.29 200m indoors as a 17 year old. Not sure why he's not on the World Athletics U18 list, but that should be in the top 20 of all time in the world. (Just remembered the eligibility for that is weird - if only he ran it 19 days earlier.) He seemed to be just as fast indoors as outdoors which indicates he's able to keep his speed despite having to lean hard indoors - speculating that may apply to football. Randy Moss ran 21.15 indoor his frosh year of college at 19.

Just hope he stays healthy.

Aren't these stats before Boutte broke his ankle and had to have two corrective surgeries? Boutte can run well but it is doubtful he will ever match pre-surgical speeds. What is the value discussing times at 17?

You can claim a player who is cut and then cut him and put him on the practice squad. There is no requirement to keep them on the 53.

You can’t IR a player who isn’t injured. But they have to be on the 53 to be able to return. That move is to protect the guy who is injured.
Yep I had it wrong. I knew the practice squad rule of signing players had to be on the 53 for a week or whatever. For some reason I thought it applied to the final cutdown to 53 as well.

Not sure how I had confused that.

Edit: ok I was right. Thanks nunchucks.

Last edited:
So, no team will claim Boutte after he doesn't amke our 53 man roster. The patriots will then sign him and put him on our 53 man roster, presuming again that no other team in the NFL is interested.
=======
This makes no sense.

Why not simply cut Bryant or Bolden? No one is picking up either of them (or make your own choice). There may be several players that we would rather risk for a day compared to Boutte.

The next day Bolden will go the IR (along with Thornton).

If we really want Boutte on the 53, then we shouldn't make him available to other teams. It really is that simple.
If you cut Bolden as Waived/Injured as part of the Cut-downs, he's done for the season.

If they haven't traded Bryant to someone like Seattle for a draft pick before Cut-downs, he's getting cut. The fact he can't play in the Pats Man-Coverage scheme leaves him as the odd-man out. I think that Minnesota, Detroit, Houston, Carolina, Giants and Raiders would be looking at someone like Bryant to help improve both ST and Pass Def.

Aren't these stats before Boutte broke his ankle and had to have two corrective surgeries? Boutte can run well but it is doubtful he will ever match pre-surgical speeds. What is the value discussing times at 17?
Because it's proof of what he has accomplished previously.

If you watch his play from LSU last year and compare it to his pre-season, you can see the differences. When you're talking about surgery in the ankle area, it isn't a simple recovery. It takes time. Kinda like ACLs. A player may be back in 6 months, but he's not back to full for another 12 after that. And we've seen it time and again with our own players.

Yep I had it wrong. I knew the practice squad rule of signing players had to be on the 53 for a week or whatever. For some reason I thought it applied to the final cutdown to 53 as well.

Not sure how I had confused that.
No, you are right. A player claimed from the waiver wire...being they are cut, must go to a teams active 53 main roster.

It looks, from the outside at least, that Boutte is a skilled route runner with very good wide receiver skills, somewhat like Meyers, however, his speed pre injury, took him to a much higher level than Meyers. During preseason, it looks like we have seen a couple bursts that start to raise hope that he may be finally recovering from his surgeries. If he can get back to pre surgery speed, we suddenly have a very special wr. But if wishes were fishes…..

Thornton is still out. Caught maybe a couple catches at practice and got injured again. Not sure what people are that Bill is salivating keeping him over boutte

No, you are right. A player claimed from the waiver wire...being they are cut, must go to a teams active 53 main roster.

Yes but that isn’t what he said. He said they have to be on week 1.
They can also release them after claiming them prior to that game, the patriots just did it with the DT.
There is no obligation to keep a player for any time period after claiming them off waivers, unlike practice squad claims which must be kept on the roster at least 3 weeks

Yes but that isn’t what he said. He said they have to be on week 1.
They can also release them after claiming them prior to that game, the patriots just did it with the DT.
There is no obligation to keep a player for any time period after claiming them off waivers, unlike practice squad claims which must be kept on the roster at least 3 weeks
Right, but that subjects that player to waivers.

You bring up a valid point. There are many factors that change from 17 such as weight gain, injuries, etc. I personally see the value because it shows to me the inherent talent in a particular aspect of "speed," but that's just my specific interest as both a huge running and football fan. In this case, the speed endurance is what pops out at me, and how that can apply. I'm not a fan of how they measure the Combine 40 times, so I even take those with a grain of salt. McCourty ran a 4.48 (.02 sec slower than Boutte), but he has the 2 fastest measured ball carrier speeds in Patriots NextGenStats history.

That's the huge question, though - can he sufficiently get back to how he was pre surgeries (and avoid any more)? Cooper Kupp tore his ACL in 2018, and I personally would have written him off after that. We all know what he did after that. I'm hoping Boutte will get at least a few good years in. The football talent is clearly there imho.

You can claim a player who is cut and then cut him and put him on the practice squad. There is no requirement to keep them on the 53.

You can’t IR a player who isn’t injured. But they have to be on the 53 to be able to return. That move is to protect the guy who is injured.
Two things about that.
First, isn’t there a minimum requirement for the time he has to remain on the 53 man roster?
And second, wouldn’t he be exposed to any other team claiming him off waivers after that subsequent cut?

isn’t it possible that after a player clears waivers he could be signed by any team to their practice squad, whoever first offers an agreeable deal and signs him gets him?

Two things about that.
First, isn’t there a minimum requirement for the time he has to remain on the 53 man roster?
And second, wouldn’t he be exposed to any other team claiming him off waivers after that subsequent cut?

isn’t it possible that after a player clears waivers he could be signed by any team to their practice squad, whoever first offers an agreeable deal and signs him gets him?
Yes, he's a free agent at that point.

Right, but that subjects that player to waivers.
Yeah I didn’t say it didn’t, I only said they aren’t obligated to keep him

Some guys play faster than their 40 time & others who’s 40 time is not very good, have no problem getting open.

Look at Anquan Bolden 4.71 in the 40.
He got open a lot easier than Dorsett or Thornton.

DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57 & Davante Adams, Antonio Brown ran a 4.56 at the combine. Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62

footwork and body control are very important and areas of concern for Thornton.

I don’t think anyone would take Thornton over Cooper Kupp
Jake Bobo an I drafted kid from Belmont Hill ran a 4.9 and is lighting it up in Seattle just like he did at Duke and UCLA. He trained a few times with my son and always seems to be open and catches everything! Straight line speed is overrated

As I see the roster projections from some of the better folks in the media, I think it's unlikely that Boutte will make the roster. No way BB is going to carry 6 WRs plus Slater on the roster. As a 2nd round pick, Thorton is a lock and his speed is still valuable to clear underneath routes (or at least I hope it is).

As fans of this team, most of us are starved for the opportunity to see a rookie WR receiver develop into a stud and why so many are pulling for DD AND Boutte.

Realistically thinking though, should we really worry if he gets cut and makes it onto another squad? We should be able to draft another receiver with similar upside in upcoming drafts, but I think the anxiety comes from how poorly we've drafted at the WR position in the past.
I think Boutte has the potential to be a top receiver in this league and he has come on very strong as TC and preseason has progressed. I think it would be a huge mistake to cut him or even stash him on PS. If I had to choose between keeping Slater at this stage of his career or Boutte…..I would keep Boutte. Slater is still a great leader but sounds like we have a few that have stepped up into leadership…….#keepBoutte

I posted in another thread but will repeat here, and may get attacked for it

Matthew Slater is a Patriot thru and thru, nothing but love for him, but at 37 years old we need to focus on the future and we can't be cutting some of these young guys who are oozing with potential just to carry a 37 year old special teamer

Whenever I use that roster tool to create a starting lineup, Slater is always an odd duck that makes it difficult because hes not really a wide receiver, but essentially always takes that 6th WR spot every year

We're going to need that extra roster spot for guys like Boutte, or some young guys we drafted along the offensive line, or for one of the young DBs. Slater helps us this year only, these other guys could help us for the next 5-10

Slater has also lost a few steps, you can see in replays etc that he's lost his top gear
Good post

I do not see Belichick picking Thornton over Boutte.

Boutte played at a much higher level in college & has already showed he knows how to find the endzone

Thornton is a guy with blazing speed, poor footwork & lack of strength who struggles to get open.

I have seen a million speedsters do nothing in the NFL, Phillip Dorsett, John Ross, Kevin White, Darrius Heywood-Bey just to name a few

Belichick is not the type of guy to keep a player based on where they are drafted after year one.

He usually goes with who he thinks will help the team most & I don’t see that being Thornton who had yet to demonstrate Tony Simmons type of production
Yeah, I am honestly with you… I think if I was looking to cut Thorton or Boutte right now, it would be Thornton …..Thornton is also fragile and I don’t see him making it through a full season every year

I can see the Patriots using Slater's roster spot the way they used Nick Folk in previous years. They cut him, set the 53, move the injured players to IR and then re-sign him.

A guy like Slater would know what's going on there, as he's seen it play out numerous times over his career. I would think he wants the team to be sucessful, so he probably wants to do this rather than force the team to lose someone like Boutte.
Great point

Boutte on the 53 for sure. Cut Malik or even Pierre Strong before this guy. Keep only two TEs.

It’s a shame Matt Slater, who has lost some speed, couldn’t be kept as a coach who happens to suit up.

Just dreaming.
Agreed Slater should do the right thing and retire and immediately be hired as a coach!

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back