PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please help me to not worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What the heck is going on?

I agree with you about Boldin but I don't regret missing out on Peppers. Just sit tight. There's a lot of offseason left to go.

This is pathetic. There are 32 teams in the NFL and only a few quality free agents because of the uncapped year.
It's a very strange thread, we just re-signed TBC, Neal, Wilfork, Bodden, we have Faulk to go then we can start in on some second level FA from other teams and have a ton of draft picks coming up. There was little to sign from others, we're in very solid shape at this point and will likely close a few holes with moderate signings in the 6 1/2 weeks before the draft. What is going on ? A very nice, slow but steady offseason so far.

Yeah, its only a few days into it but most of the good players are already taken by teams that didn't waste any time snatching them. I think we really dropped the ball with Boldin. And I agree that resigning those players was a good idea but we also needed to make at least some kind of improvement on defense or we're going to be in the same situation we were in last year.

I agree with Teenuh!

This is pathetic. There are 32 teams in the NFL and only a few quality free agents because of the uncapped year. I think the Patriots have had a very successful offseason so far. There was no guarantee they'd be able to re-sign so many core players. I think you underestimate the message the locker room has gotten over the last few days. The players now know that the front office really does have their back. I think that became a major problem for some players, and thus for the team, after the Vrabel and Seymour trades.

My point is that we didn't have a great season last year and then we had that humiliating loss to the Ravens in the playoffs. If we don't make improvements and basically go into next season with pretty much the same team, what do you think is going to happen? Yeah, I know we'll get players in the draft but you know how that goes. They may help, they may not. I think right now we're setting ourselves up for failure this year unless we make changes.

I agree with you about Boldin but I don't regret missing out on Peppers. Just sit tight. There's a lot of offseason left to go.

FWIW, contrary to reports, Lombardi reported that the Patriots were never involved in the Boldin sweepstakes.

we should have at least tried to get Boldin.

Who says we didn't? Maybe we just didn't value a 30 year old malcontent with a history of injuries at $10m+ per year quite as highly as Baltimore did.

How about we wait until the June cuts, when there's some actual talent on the market to sign?

Well I hope you're right. I'm sure Bill has a plan but at this point in the offseason I'm not exactly confident about our chances next season. I guess we'll see what happens.

It's a very strange thread, we just re-signed TBC, Neal, Wilfork, Bodden, we have Faulk to go then we can start in on some second level FA from other teams and have a ton of draft picks coming up. There was little to sign from others, we're in very solid shape at this point and will likely close a few holes with moderate signings in the 6 1/2 weeks before the draft. What is going on ? A very nice, slow but steady offseason so far.

Its strange that I don't think we should go into next season with the same team that barely made the playoffs and then went one and done when they did get into the playoffs?

How about we wait until the June cuts, when there's some actual talent on the market to sign?

No, you don't understand. If they haven't made drastic moves within the first five days of FA, then we can reasonably conclude this offseason to be an epic failure.

Its strange that I don't think we should go into next season with the same team that barely made the playoffs and then went one and done when they did get into the playoffs?

Well since there's nothing to suggest that will happen, I wouldn't really lose any sleep over it.

I think the issue people might have with our FA so far is that we've resigned the players we already had during last year's campaign that led to a first round loss. You compare that with the Jets, and they made an significant upgrade at CB with the Cromartie trade.

I love our resignings so far, but I think the perception people are having is that we're still the same team that got crushed by Baltimore in the first round.

This thread is so emo.

... and they made an significant upgrade at CB with the Cromartie trade.

The only problem is that this is opinion, and not fact.

They also lost their leading rusher.

I think the issue people might have with our FA so far is that we've resigned the players we already had during last year's campaign that led to a first round loss. You compare that with the Jets, and they made an significant upgrade at CB with the Cromartie trade.
They also lost Thomas Jones, let's see Shonn Greene make it though a full season.

I get that last year was a disappointment but the first step was to get back to where we were. Which we've just about done but we do need Faulk. Now we can try to inch ahead some. Then when OTAs/training camp start we can try to get the younger players playing a little better.

Well I think instead of going for a questionable player like we did with Galloway last year, we should have at least tried to get Boldin. With Moss, Welker, Boldin, and Edelman, that would be a pretty potent offense.

Essentially you're saying we should have traded a 2nd and 4th for Boldin and signed him to a $7 million a year contract. I happen to think the contract is reasonable, but you lose me when I have to both give up a 2nd and a 4th in the deepest draft in eons, and sign him to a $7 million contract. You can definitely get by for this year, but he'll count on future caps.

Personally, I'd rather take a guy like Arrelious Benn or Damian Williams with that second and then try again in the fourth round with a kid like Jacoby Ford. They'd come in at much less than half the cost of Boldin, and I bet chances are good that production would be the same over the next four years. That's how good this draft is at WR.

So, if Boldin were a FA and he wanted to come to NE for $8 million a year, I'd say sign him up.

Last edited:

I'm so glad the Pats didn't get duped again in trading for a WR that is injury prone and is about to turn 30 years old. Also, it's too bad Peppers chose money over winning, but this FA class sucks because it's uncapped. So the inactivity doesn't bother me. It's time for the Pats to start drafting players.

I think people can legitimately make this argument about Peppers. Clearly, the Patriots were interested in him at $10 million, and if you're willing to spend that much on a guy, you think he could be a great player for you. The only thing that prevents you from going to $12 or $13 million on him is money, because you can take away some of the bite by frontloading the contract AND you can easily justify his signing to the rest of the team.

So, in Peppers' case, you can say that the Patriots do not spend money like the Redskins and Bears.

:snob: This offseason is fine with me! Looking forward to the draft.

They also lost Thomas Jones, let's see Shonn Greene make it though a full season.

I get that last year was a disappointment but the first step was to get back to where we were. Which we've just about done but we do need Faulk. Now we can try to inch ahead some. Then when OTAs/training camp start we can try to get the younger players playing a little better.

We need our guys to stay healthy (especially our OL) and for our young players to continue to develop.

I'm banking on Brady to bounce back and for BB to scheme a better pass rush.

I don't see any other FA out there that's gonna make me say "WOW" if he gets signed. It's possible for us to go and sign a mid-level talent and for that player to get coached up and overachieve (kinda like McGowan the first half of the season).

I just want some solid picks in the draft (please no Tebow in the first two rounds) and some hungry veterans. I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I wouldn't mind having Thomas Jones or LT come over here and try to win a championship.

No, you don't understand. If they haven't made drastic moves within the first five days of FA, then we can reasonably conclude this offseason to be an epic failure.

No Jack, it's an epic failure because Kraft is too cheap (because he's building new stores in his mall or something) to open up his wallet to keep his own players. On top of that, Billy Boy has lost his touch and thinks he can go into next year with a bunch of undrafted FAs at key positions. Furthermore, Belichick's method of bringing back old retreads is preventing them from keeping good players or drafting young guys. In fact, rumors are that Billy is trying to bring Anthony Pleasant, Bobby Hamilton and Otis Smith to be starters for next years team rather than acquiring younger players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back