PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please help me to not worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What the heck is going on?

I love what has been happening so far, we're taking care of our core players from the inside out.

And as has been repeated ad infinitum, we have four picks in the first 53, in what is most certainly a rich draft (because of the potential rookie cap next year).

A big move at FA is sexy and flashy, but still is not the end-all solution.

Many of you seem to forget that this past year, we had a huge turnover at defense, and so there is nowhere to go but up from that, as the team continues to build it's new identity and camadarie.

I love what has been happening so far, we're taking care of our core players from the inside out.

A big move at FA is sexy and flashy, but still is not the end-all solution.

Yeah, because it's impossible to negotiate with more than one player at a time:rolleyes:

Kevin Walter would not have been a big FA move but he would have been damn solid, as would Kassim Osgood but now we're not going to be able to fill in those holes like we easily could have via FA.

Yeah, because it's impossible to negotiate with more than one player at a time:rolleyes:

Kevin Walter would not have been a big FA move but he would have been damn solid, as would Kassim Osgood but now we're not going to be able to fill in those holes like we easily could have via FA.

There's always the draft.

Sorry DW but Brandon Marshall is a scumbag. Kraft would never sign off on the trade or the contract. And neither would I. Marshall is a drunk and he beats women, and he has shot his way out of town from two teams, soon to be a third. He is the new TO. Thumbs way down to flushing the Pats 1st round pick down the tubes on that kind of punk and locker room cancer. I'll take my chances with the draft.

Aside from being a distracting malcontent with the Denver Broncos, Marshall’s history of arrests includes disorderly conduct, drunken driving, and, most alarmingly, a number of incidents of alleged domestic violence … with two different women.

Around the NFC West: Brandon Marshall - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Last edited:

Sorry DW but Brandon Marshall is a scumbag. Kraft would never sign off on the trade or the contract. And neither would I. Marshall is a drunk and he beats women, and he has shot his way out of town from two teams, soon to be a third. He is the new TO. Thumbs way down to flushing the Pats 1st round pick down the tubes on that kind of punk and locker room cancer. I'll take my chances with the draft.

Aside from being a distracting malcontent with the Denver Broncos, Marshall’s history of arrests includes disorderly conduct, drunken driving, and, most alarmingly, a number of incidents of alleged domestic violence … with two different women.

Around the NFC West: Brandon Marshall - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Two teams going on three? Wow, he has some back-story that I didn't know about, apparently. Are those his college teams or something?

Let me ease your consternation Teenuh, with a reasoned response. Let me do it this way. Alot of folks here at Patsfans.com have introduced many of us to www.profootballfocus.com.

They essentially watch every player's every play, of every game, and grade them out. Then they correspondingly rate the players by position. It may not be the bible on who the best are, but it certainly gives us all something else to go by.

So with that as a backdrop.

So far this offseason, the Patriots have signed new contracts with:

1. Leigh Bodden, the #14 ranked CB in the entire NFL, out of 107 CBs ranked. Incidentally, Dunta Robinson, who Atlanta opening up the bank vaults for, was rated 98 out of 107. Forget what anybody said, Bodden was the best CB available, and the Patriots out bid fellow AFC teams Houston and Pittsburgh, along with Seattle for his services. Well done Patriots.

2. OG Neal, the #2 overall rated/ranked OG in the NFL for two more years.

3. THE best 3-4 NT on the planet, Vince Wilfolk, and locked him up for 5 more years. He was ranked #6 out of 87 DTs/NTs ranked.

4. The #6 ranked OLB, and up and coming Patriot sack leader Tully Banta-Cain.

As you know, they've also completed or soon will complete some other moves for roster depth, and we're but 5 days into free agency. I don't have the link, but Pro Football weekly has the early winners and losers of free agencies, and the Patriots were one of four teams picked as a WINNER, and they had yet to even sign Bodden officially when that was written.

I'm not one to give the Patriots' brass a free pass, as I want them to hit home runs with all of their first four picks in the draft. However, I LOVE the first part of this period. Had they butcherd the Wilfolk situation, or had Bodden signed with the Steelers/Houston, or had Banta-Cain/Neal gone elsewhere, I'd be bummed right along with you.

The Patriots were successful in each of the aformentioned cases, and folks are still complaining. I don't get it.

As for your comment that they should have at least tried to get Boldin. They did try, and all I've read indicates that they quite possibly were the "runner ups" to the Ravens for his services. There are 31 other teams. Our beloved Patriots are going to come out on top for every player they want.

They even made an offer for Peppers, but thank God they did break the bank to get him. There is still somebody by the name of Brady deserving of much of that cash, IMHO.

Again, if they get to the draft and start trading 2nd round picks, for a 4th, 5th, and 2nd next year, I'll be freaking right with you. For now, I'm thrilled with how things have worked out, given this lousy class of free agents.

I meant to say "There are 31 other teams. our beloved Patriots ARE NOT going to come out on top for every player they want." I forgot the word NOT. Kind of a key point. :)

Gillette Field P.A. Announcer-Your 2011 N.E Patriots starting line up........ At left WR Julian Edleman....(crowd noise) Yeaaaaaa! at Patriots right side WR...Julian Edleman!(crowd noise) Yeaaaaaa! and at Slot Reciever...Julian Edleman!......(crowd noise)Yeaaaaaaa! ......But look how much we saved on the CAP if there is one.

Given the wild overreactions to this year's offseason so far, I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone started panicking about next year's offseason.

I understand your frustration but consider a few things

#1. Just because this year is uncapped doesn't mean there aren't serious implications for signing guys to lucrative long term contracts. No one knows how the new CBA will treat such contracts. No one knows if there will BE a new CBA hence owners might not be keen on giving out $20 million signing bonuses when they might not have any cashflow next year.

#2. I think we all agree that it's vital that the Patriots secure a core of "Patriots-type" players as a nucleus. That's what the Patriots have prioritzed and that's what they've done with Wilfork, TBC, Bodden and presumably Brady.

#3. We're only days into free agency and free agency is only 1/3rd of the process of developing a team from year to year. There's Free Agency, the Draft, Trades and then also camp cuts to choose from.

Look back to previous Super Bowl years and you'll see that the middle class quality depth players is what got us the Lombardis... not the marquee names. Belichick is getting back to what made him successful. That's not a bad thing.
You know what JoeSixPat, when we aren't discussing the merits of PED's, it's a little scary that we see eye to eye regarding a certain issues.

Good post.

Last edited:

Kraft will never pay tons of salaries, It doesnt matter if the year is uncapped or not

Seriously, what is going on at the Pats office? This is an uncapped year so there is NO EXCUSE for being afraid to spend to help the team get back to the superbowl. :mad:
Not saying the team doesn't need improvements, but when was the last time a team "got back to the superbowl" by spending huge in Free Agency? Superbowl teams are built primarily through the draft, good trades, and cost efficient FAs.

I don't give tate a free pass because Billy drafted him AFTER he was hurt, in other words he drafted a CRIPPLE, so I give that a FAIL

McK hurt himself AFTER he was drafted by the team, hopefully he can at least see the field, and if HE SUX, then they should cut his ass too.

Willhiite and Wheatley- I'll drive them to the airport to be rid of them

Brace- saw the field what, once? With that defense he should have at least gotten a shot if he was any good.

Crable?- USELESS waste of a pick, him and Wheatley are just pathetic...I hate wilhiite but at least he made it onto the field.... problem is they were expecting him to play like a regular, and he sux so it's not really his fault that they didn't use him at best as a 5...doesn't change things much though.....
Maybe they should use Wilhiite as a KR or something.....at least get SOMETHING for their $.....seeing Wheatley is towel boy.

You did not mention wheatley in your op.

Not all players drafted go to the pro bowl in their first year and some players can contriubute and be good players, but not starters. Some players actually develop over 2 or 3 or even 4 years - ever hear of mike vrable?? You would have driven him right to the airport.

I guess you would have passed on curtis martin as he was injured at draft day

I think you should take over for BB, your drafting skills and keen eye will surely serve us well.

By the way, since we suck so bad, can you name a more successful organization over the past 16 years since the krafts took over??

You did not mention wheatley in your op.

Not all players drafted go to the pro bowl in their first year and some players can contriubute and be good players, but not starters. Some players actually develop over 2 or 3 or even 4 years - ever hear of mike vrable?? You would have driven him right to the airport.

Yep, they did well to find a good underutilized player on another team, doesn't happen very often

I guess you would have passed on curtis martin as he was injured at draft day

Curtis was injured in the 2nd game of the year the previous year, and was a gifted player- also an entirely different drafting team.

I think you should take over for BB, your drafting skills and keen eye will surely serve us well.

Your making me blush, stop it!!

By the way, since we suck so bad, can you name a more successful organization over the past 16 years since the krafts took over??

Never said we sucked, so stop being such a homer.

Last edited:

And this is patsfans.com messageboard in a nutshell :D

Last edited:

Seriously Cousins. Some of you on this forum are as capable of making personnel decisions in the NFL and some teams' management. It is not brain surgery. In fact I have said it before it is about an 18% success rate a Draft choice will become a NFL decent many year starter, serviceable rotation player or an All Star within three years of the date they were Drafted. A .180 MLB hitter doesn't last. If we are successful in our job 18% of the time we are fired. You could almost have the same success by putting names in a fish bowl and drawing a pick.

The Director of Player personnel and the coaches evaluate all of the players and it is done by stats, film and....opinion. Some kids are interviewed and some not. In this day and age with the e-highway, an NFL fans has almost the same access to those above items.

My point is do I think some of you that are insightful could pick the correct Draft for an NFL Team? Yes I do. Some would never do worse than some of the bad Drafts we have all seen.

Yes you have to add Teams needs, Salaries and present team makeup into account, but there is not PHD for making Draft picks that succeed. Muzz said some decent things.
DW Toys

Last edited:

Seriously Cousins. Some of you on this forum are as capable of making personnel decisions in the NFL and some teams' management. It is not brain surgery. In fact I have said it before it is about an 18% success rate a Draft choice will become a NFL decent many year starter, serviceable rotation player or an All Star within three years of the date they were Drafted. A .180 MLB hitter doesn't last. If we are successful in our job 18% of the time we are fired. You could almost have the same success by putting names in a fish bowl and drawing a pick.

The Director of Player personnel and the coaches evaluate all of the players and it is done by stats, film and....opinion. Some kids are interviewed and some not. In this day and age with the e-highway, an NFL fans has almost the same access to those above items.

My point is do I think some of you that are insightful could pick the correct Draft for an NFL Team? Yes I do. Some would never do worse than some of the bad Drafts we have all seen.

Yes you have to add Teams needs, Salaries and present team makeup into account, but there is not PHD for making Draft picks that succeed. Muzz said some decent things.
DW Toys

This is the kind of delusional mindset that permeates this place nowadays...

This is the kind of delusional mindset that permeates this place nowadays...

"Because your success rate is low, that means it must be random luck!"

So since a "mediocre" baseball player only has a 25% success rate, I suppose anyone could get up to the plate and bat .250. Can't be that hard, don't be so naive homers!

This forum really needs to add a :facepalm: emoticon.

Yeah, its only a few days into it but most of the good players are already taken by teams that didn't waste any time snatching them. I think we really dropped the ball with Boldin. And I agree that resigning those players was a good idea but we also needed to make at least some kind of improvement on defense or we're going to be in the same situation we were in last year.

What's the matter, Teenuh? Did you cause such a sh*tstorm over on the other board that you want to try it here, too?

People, don't even bother with this little troll. She throws crap out and tries to get everyone in each others' faces.

Useless little child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes