PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help me out here Pats fans

I wasn't really a college fan but I became a huge Flutie fan. Similar to Brady, he had an uncanny ability to come through at the end of games even when he was struggling. You just felt that he was going to pull it out and usually did. At BC he provided us with some incredible moments and should have been given more of a chance in the pros.
Went out to dinner a few weeks ago in Saint Augustine, and as the waitress was seating us, there was a scruffy guy with a baseball cap sitting on one of the chairs at our table, away from the rest of his family, who was seated at the next table. He was playing with a little girl in a little stroller and keeping her entertained, trying to make her laugh...it was cute. He was looking down at her and then quickly turned his head slightly and apologized for being in my seat, and they went back over to their table.

I wasn't paying much attention, but I sat down (they were behind me), and my wife was across from me and could see their table. She said, "You're not going to believe this, but that guy who was sitting in your seat was Doug Flutie."

I turned around and looked, and sure enough, it was him. He was just in a t-shirt, jeans, and a baseball cap, sitting there just hanging out with his family and - I'm assuming - being a good Grandpa.

Looked just like a normal guy, and they went back to walking around downtown after they left. Pretty cool. :cool:

Well just so you know GC we are doing just fine over here.

What we do nowadays is have fascinating debates over whether mac jones just plain sucks, or if he sucks to the point where he’s holding back our 25th ranked defense and uber talented offense lead by demario douglas and pharaoh brown from being a winner. Totally healthy and loving discussions, not losing our minds or anything!

Last edited:
Look on the bright side, Jim Kelly isn't walking through that door, Don Beebe isn't walking through that door, and thank god Scott Norwood isn't walking through that door.

I wasn't really a college fan but I became a huge Flutie fan. Similar to Brady, he had an uncanny ability to come through at the end of games even when he was struggling. You just felt that he was going to pull it out and usually did. At BC he provided us with some incredible moments and should have been given more of a chance in the pros.
The great quarterbacks have:

- Intelligence and awareness to process what's going on, what's working, what isn't, what might, what's there and what's not there

- The ability to not just make big plays, but make them under the most situational and circumstantial pressure, even on days when he himself has made mistakes and/or poor decisions

- The deep down driven determination and desire to win, transcending money, personal success, adversity, disadvantages, weather, and any talent and momentum the opponent has

It is this which makes Brady clearly the best of the last two decades, and Flutie the best of the 90's. Yes he makes any team much better than Aikman, Elway, Kelly, Young or Moon does. Favre played his ass off, but he's not what you'd call cerebral. And the best quarterbacks are just that, loaded with acumen which is far more important than all the talent in the world.

Yeah, how'd he do agains the worst Patriot team in many decades?
Now I'm going to have to back and look at exactly how badly Bill has been outcoached by McDermott.

Well, it ain't pretty, that's for sure. McDermott has outcoached Blunder Bill to the tune of a 6-2 record since Brady was shown the door. One of those wins was an epic playoff blowout and yes, he did lose to Bill's worst team in many decades this year. That big win kept Bill's Pats within shouting distance of 15th place in the AFC.

Bill's done here. Trade him to Cleveland.

Went out to dinner a few weeks ago in Saint Augustine, and as the waitress was seating us, there was a scruffy guy with a baseball cap sitting on one of the chairs at our table, away from the rest of his family, who was seated at the next table. He was playing with a little girl in a little stroller and keeping her entertained, trying to make her laugh...it was cute. He was looking down at her and then quickly turned his head slightly and apologized for being in my seat, and they went back over to their table.

I wasn't paying much attention, but I sat down (they were behind me), and my wife was across from me and could see their table. She said, "You're not going to believe this, but that guy who was sitting in your seat was Doug Flutie."

I turned around and looked, and sure enough, it was him. He was just in a t-shirt, jeans, and a baseball cap, sitting there just hanging out with his family and - I'm assuming - being a good Grandpa.

Looked just like a normal guy, and they went back to walking around downtown after they left. Pretty cool. :cool:
Great story and one that might be a good idea for a thread about our interactions with sports stars or celebrities.

I remember seeing Steve Grogan at the Hilltop in Saugus after he had lost his starting job. His friend apologized for the way he stormed right by us in the front hallway. He looked angry.

About 10 years ago I was at a restaurant in Patriot Place with my oldest son when I noticed that Mike Reiss was at the next table. When his companion went to the men's room I had a chance to strike up a convo with him but didn't. I wish I had because he comes across as a good guy, just like Flutie.

Look on the bright side, Jim Kelly isn't walking through that door, Don Beebe isn't walking through that door, and thank god Scott Norwood isn't walking through that door.
I was pulling for the Bills to win and that one hurt a lot. I wonder if Norwood has had nightmares about that miss. Probably.

And speaking of kickers, are they getting better or what? They seem to be much longer and more accurate than ever.

Now I'm going to have to back and look at exactly how badly Bill has been outcoached by McDermott.

Well, it ain't pretty, that's for sure. McDermott has outcoached Blunder Bill to the tune of a 6-2 record since Brady was shown the door. One of those wins was an epic playoff blowout and yes, he did lose to Bill's worst team in many decades this year. That big win kept Bill's Pats within shouting distance of 15th place in the AFC.

Bill's done here. Trade him to Cleveland.
Since we're removing stud QBs, how has McDermott done without Josh Allen?

I was pulling for the Bills to win and that one hurt a lot. I wonder if Norwood has had nightmares about that miss. Probably.

And speaking of kickers, are they getting better or what? They seem to be much longer and more accurate than ever.
Christina Ricci Film GIF
Buffalo 66 GIF by Jennifer @ All Y'All Yoga

Great story and one that might be a good idea for a thread about our interactions with sports stars or celebrities.

I remember seeing Steve Grogan at the Hilltop in Saugus after he had lost his starting job. His friend apologized for the way he stormed right by us in the front hallway. He looked angry.

About 10 years ago I was at a restaurant in Patriot Place with my oldest son when I noticed that Mike Reiss was at the next table. When his companion went to the men's room I had a chance to strike up a convo with him but didn't. I wish I had because he comes across as a good guy, just like Flutie.
Steve and I have some things in common, like stubbornly continuing with a commitment even when our health and well being may be jeopardized - in his case, winning games for the Patriots.

And while we express it in a reserved and often unnoticeable way, we both have terrible tempers - especially when we know we're right and whatever the authority is is wrong.

That, my friend, is a person who is in Tom Brady and Joe Montana's class professionally.

I think the down to earth mentality helps execute on the field with all the attention and pressure on you.

Reactions: Ian
Steve and I have some things in common, like stubbornly continuing with a commitment even when our health and well being may be jeopardized - in his case, winning games for the Patriots.

And while we express it in a reserved and often unnoticeable way, we both have terrible tempers - especially when we know we're right and whatever the authority is is wrong.
...I am now going and sitting on my helmet :D

Reactions: Ian

This dude might have been more injury prone than Jimmy. Hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy for the rest of his life... yikes

Man was he terrible in that Music city miracle game.. bet Wade Phillips would like to have that one back and go with Flutie.
View attachment 54417

To this day, I just still don't understand the decision to go with Johnson and I cannot think of a single time in NFL history that a starting QB who led his team to the playoffs was benched (without being injured) for the playoff game.

There was just more going on there than we ever found out.... maybe Flutie told Philips to go f himself or something like that....

Reactions: sb1
The Bills are having a rough season and I don’t know how to cope with us not being amazing.

So I figured I’d go to my favorite Pats fans to ask… How do you all deal with being fans of a team that stinks? Can you share some coping mechanisms you have learned? Help me!
When I'm feeling down and struggling with the current state of my team.... I look back, reflect, and say to myself....

"At least I ain't a Bills fan."

When I'm feeling down and struggling with the current state of my team.... I look back, reflect, and say to myself....

"At least I ain't a Bills fan."

Such a ****ty kick. “Wide right” is the words we remember but it was a borderline shank.

Doug Flutie helped get me hooked on BC Football back in 84 when he threw that Hail Mary pass against Miami.

And I'll never forget being in Foxboro on a cold and windy day in November when we were playing the Colts. The wind was blowing so hard that the flag was straight out. Raymond Berry started Eason and deep into the third quarter it was 1-2-3 Punt over and over again and the Pat's just couldn't move the ball at all. The score was 10 - 0 Colts and finally we could see Flutie begin to warm up on the sideline and the crowd got began to stir. I could feel that something good was about to happen.

And sure enough, as Flutie ran out on the field, the crowd went crazy and I looked up at the flag that had been blowing straight out and it went limp like there was some kind of divine intervention. :) Flutie scored a TD on his first possession and we eventually wound up winning the game.

There was something about Flutie that I think was at least in part "The It factor". After that game, it's too bad that Raymond Berry continued to insist on a conventional drop back passer like Eason but that November game is one that I'll never forget. . .

“I can go on days and days talking about why I picked the USFL over the NFL. Would you rather be in Houston or Buffalo? I’ll stop there.”
—- Jim Kelly after he bailed on the Bills to go to the USFL

This would be a nut punch if I was a Bills fan from Buffalo

:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3