PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential trade targets

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Stafford thread got me dreaming about trades again. Heres some questions for my fellow Pats fans.

Staying realistic (lookin’ at you Cousin!). When you look at your projected opening day roster, where do you see the biggest need? Who are some guys out there that are possible trade targets that could fill that need due to contract issues, declined 5th year option, possible cut due to other team being fully stocked at a position? Anyone care to make some predictions on trades between now and wks 1-4? Who are guys you could see the Pats flipping for another player or some draft picks?

CIN- Jonah Williams (LT/RT) - Last year of deal. 5th yr not picked up. Player who hasn’t lived up to potential but would be nice to bring in and see if you can make something out of him. If CIN finds they dont need him, maybe you could swap a player or pick. Would free up 12M for CIN.

JAX- K’Lavon Chaisson (OLB) - I really loved him during the draft. I am very surprised he’s had such a tough go of it since entering the league. Former 1st rd pick, all the tools physically. This all hinges on future plans for Uche. Cant help but feel like Bill is gonna let him play out the year, sign big bucks and get a comp pick. Might as well see if you can get his replacement on the team now.

CHI- Jaylon Johnson (CB) - This is a guy you won’t get for cheap. Contract year, some injury issues last tear but has proven he is a starter in this league. Is probably going to want some $$ and if the Bears drafts over the last few years are any indication, they don't want to pay him. Young but experienced and would add some young veteran leadership to the DB group. Maybe you could get him with a solid pick offer and player?

Last edited:

CHI- Jaylon Johnson (CB) - This is a guy you won’t get for cheap. Contract year, some injury issues last tear but has proven he is a starter in this league. Is probably going to want some $$ and if the Bears drafts over the last few years are any indication, they don't want to pay him. Young but experienced and would add some young veteran leadership to the DB group. Maybe you could get him with a solid pick offer and player?
He’s not qualified for that unless his name is Jones.

CIN- Jonah Williams (LT/RT) - Last year of deal. 5th yr not picked up. Player who hasn’t lived up to potential but would be nice to bring in and see if you can make something out of him. If CIN finds they dont need him, maybe you could swap a player or pick. Would free up 12M for CIN.
swap a player or a pick plus take on 12M from Cindy’s books, for a total gamble? Seems like an expensive roll of the dice with no assurance of any return.

how would you preach about Bill’s job performance after the season if he swapped a player or pick plus dropped 12M for no return on that investment?

i think we are more inclined to wait until training camp cuts to find OLine help. Maybe someone is a cap casualty we can scoop up

The Stafford thread got me dreaming about trades again. Heres some questions for my fellow Pats fans.

Staying realistic (lookin’ at you Cousin!). When you look at your projected opening day roster, where do you see the biggest need? Who are some guys out there that are possible trade targets that could fill that need due to contract issues, declined 5th year option, possible cut due to other team being fully stocked at a position? Anyone care to make some predictions on trades between now and wks 1-4? Who are guys you could see the Pats flipping for another player or some draft picks?

JAX- K’Lavon Chaisson (OLB) - I really loved him during the draft. I am very surprised he’s had such a tough go of it since entering the league. Former 1st rd pick, all the tools physically. This all hinges on future plans for Uche. Cant help but feel like Bill is gonna let him play out the year, sign big bucks and get a comp pick. Might as well see if you can get his replacement on the team now.

This is how I see needs.

OFFENSE
Personally I am fine with the WR and TE positions.
Fine with QB.
OT worries me.
Fine with IOL
Not convinced 2 late round pick 2nd year guys who didn’t play much last year are the RB2 answer and see zero value in Montgomery in any role, so would like a vet added here.

DEFENSE
Can never have enough 300+DTs and can easily fit another into the rotation.
Would be interested in adding a younger underachieving edge guy with potential for camp.
LBer depth couldn’t hurt
Fine with the secondary but adding a veteran corner for depth is always a good idea.

Is there a better LT than the Cincy guy in a situation that he could be a trade target?

swap a player or a pick plus take on 12M from Cindy’s books, for a total gamble? Seems like an expensive roll of the dice with no assurance of any return.

how would you preach about Bill’s job performance after the season if he swapped a player or pick plus dropped 12M for no return on that investment?
If its a player you're going to just cut, fringe roster guy and a 5-7th rd pick? I wouldn’t ***** at all. It would be a sign that he’s at least trying to invest in a position of need. If Big Trent is checked out and you think he’s not going to buy-in, see if you can ship him out for a player swap. We’ve always got a surplus of picks. Especially in later rds. Id have no problem if thats what happened. The 12M means nothing to me. Its a one year rental for you to see if the guy has potential in your system and if he’s a good locker room guy.

This is how I see needs.

OFFENSE
Personally I am fine with the WR and TE positions.
Fine with QB.
OT worries me.
Fine with IOL
Not convinced 2 late round pick 2nd year guys who didn’t play much last year are the RB2 answer and see zero value in Montgomery in any role, so would like a vet added here.

DEFENSE
Can never have enough 300+DTs and can easily fit another into the rotation.
Would be interested in adding a younger underachieving edge guy with potential for camp.
LBer depth couldn’t hurt
Fine with the secondary but adding a veteran corner for depth is always a good idea.
Any particular guys out there you think could be had?

Great post. Well at this point I can't really see the team making a big trade with or anything of significance camp IMO. I believe they will let the players dictate thier play in camp. So by camps end with cut-down, ect I can definitely see some trades made. That seems to be a given.

However I am facinated with the Jonah hill move. It would be nice to have a talent like him. In the secondary we could use another veteran especially with the uncertainty with Jack.

Any particular guys out there you think could be had?
Just goes to show you just how bad last season was offensively.. even our own new england media is down on the team and expectations.. the season can't start soon enough..

Generally, the next month is just swapping guys that were going to be cut and conditional picks that won’t actually change hands. We probably won’t see anybody that makes the 53 man roster acquired for about a month, closer to cutdown day.

Jonah Williams - Was one of the worst OTs last year. Yes. Worse than ours. And Williams is on his 5th year option according to OTC.. That's how he's at $12M.

He gave up 13 tackles on 724 passing plays. He also gave up 6 hits and 26 hurries. The year prior he gave up 10 sacks, 7 hits, and 34 hurries on 808 passing plays.

Why would people thing the Pats could save him?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back