PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats will play Bucs in London in 2009 [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL International Series 2009

I thought most fans would be really pissed off if the Pats were chosen to come over, so I'm delighted at some of the early posters who said it would maybe benefit the team.
I'm not a fan of moving games out of the US. I've made my feelings known on this before. If UK, or other European, Pats fans want to see the team live, then why not travel over to the US? In saying that, I'm sure Ciara's Mum, and probably Ciara herself, will look forward to a trip to London. :D
I'm sure the game will be played at Wembley again which I have described on here before as a soulless morgue. England rugby team played the All Blacks on Saturday at a magnificent looking Twickenham Stadium which I think would be a far better place to hold the game, both for atmosphere and for underfoot conditions. Or how about Murrayfield for that matter!! ;)

Twickenham is loads better than Wembley because it's more "intimate". The atmosphere for England-South Africa (DON'T laugh) was great. I've been to Wembley for both NFL games and wasn't that impressed. I agree it's soulless but b****cks to it- I'll pay whatever and go.

I really, really HATE this nonsense. Send an exhibition game over there if you must, but why on earth WASTE a regular season game as an exhibition event in a country where they 90 percent of those attending don't even understand the rules? I'm just glad it's not a Patriots home game, or else I'd be on the phone to Foxboro voicing my displeasure. Someone needs to put a leash on Goodell.

I really, really HATE this nonsense. Send an exhibition game over there if you must, but why on earth WASTE a regular season game as an exhibition event in a country where they 90 percent of those attending don't even understand the rules? I'm just glad it's not a Patriots home game, or else I'd be on the phone to Foxboro voicing my displeasure. Someone needs to put a leash on Goodell.

Goodell isn't forcing anybody to do anything, the teams who are involved are willing to do so and are clearly making money, you do realise that theres 2 early games, 2 late games, snf, mnf and nfl network games and programming such as total access shown in the UK every week for many years now, i'm sure the majority of fans wanting to attend know the rules.

Hey Chap get ready for a bloody great match NE vs Bucs in London next year

Buccaneers, Patriots picked by NFL to face off in London next year

Buccaneers, Patriots picked by NFL to face off in London next year

National Football League

The NFL’s International Series of regular-season games will return to the United Kingdom in 2009 when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers host the New England Patriots, the NFL announced Monday.

The game will be played on Sunday, Oct. 25, at Wembley Stadium in London with kickoff set for 1 p.m. ET on CBS.

more....

90%? Thats 81 thousand people. The people who attend these games are all fans, many of whom have followed since it first became big here in the 80's. It's expensive as f*ck to go so I'm pretty sure they're not there for a day out, unless they have a tree in the garden that money grows on.

Also, lets not have that clown Joss Stone do the anthem again. The crowd couldn't join it probrably because she dragged it out like it was a soul tune.

Last edited:
I really, really HATE this nonsense. Send an exhibition game over there if you must, but why on earth WASTE a regular season game as an exhibition event in a country where they 90 percent of those attending don't even understand the rules?

How many European football fans do you know?
I watch every Patriot game including pre-season, and sometimes that means you only have 2 hours of sleep before going to work on monday. I'm not complaning cause its all worth it. I'm just saying that there are a lot of fans like me in Denmark and i can promise you that we love the opportunity to come to one football game a year without having to come all the way to the states.
This is going to be my second Patriot game live and i cant wait! :singing:
Go Pats!

the glazers must be thrilled. they own manchester united too .

I cannot wait!!! I finally get to see my beloved Patriots!!!

And I hope we f@@k them over! I am also a Liverpool fan, so I hate the Glazers as they own ****chester United!

I hope there is no smile on their faces!!!

(I also hate Hicks and Gillett ;))

Goodell isn't forcing anybody to do anything, the teams who are involved are willing to do so and are clearly making money, you do realise that theres 2 early games, 2 late games, snf, mnf and nfl network games and programming such as total access shown in the UK every week for many years now, i'm sure the majority of fans wanting to attend know the rules.

OK, please shed some light on it for me. With random match-ups every year, how can that game mean anything to you beyond mild curiosity? Except for the few who peruse this board from your fine island, I've never met a Brit who understood American football or cared to. Their passion is soccer. I see this as nothing more than a cynical marketing maneuver by the NFL, and it robs fans here of one-eighth of their home season. Until Star Trek-style teleporters are invented, international NFL play beyond North America won't make sense. NFL Europe failed. What can this possibly lead to? Again, the only thing making sense would be if you had a professional league of your own.

Last edited:
OK, please shed some light on it for me. With random match-ups every year, how can that game mean anything to you beyond mild curiosity? Except for the few who peruse this board from your fine island, I've never met a Brit who understood American football or cared to. Their passion is soccer. I see this as nothing more than a cynical marketing maneuver by the NFL, and it robs fans here of one-eighth of their home season. Until Star Trek-style teleporters are invented, international NFL play beyond North America won't make sense. NFL Europe failed. What can this possibly lead to? Again, the only thing making sense would be if you had a professional league of your own.

I personally agree to an extent that teams giving up home games to play them here is ridiculous but i have this feeling Goodell is testing the waters to have an international franchise, this is the 3rd game in 3 years played in the UK, TV figures for the NFL have gotten very big of late and the game is growing

I don't think a franchise would work though because people in Britain who follow the NFL already have a team but i think that is his long term goal.

I cannot wait!!! I finally get to see my beloved Patriots!!!

And I hope we f@@k them over! I am also a Liverpool fan, so I hate the Glazers as they own ****chester United!

I hope there is no smile on their faces!!!

(I also hate Hicks and Gillett ;))

If you didn't watch it tonight on Setanta I'd give any replays a miss. I'm f'kin boiling inside to the extent I could crack skulls right now.

That clown Gillett was there aswell.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more. They're getting like MLB with the who cares about the fans, lets make as much $$$$ as possible.

This is a huge negative for me, since I currently live in Florida and would have been able to go to the game. But, congratulations to the Brits.

why do people get so up in arms about this? I could understand if the Pats were losing a home game, but this is actually advantageous for them. The trip isn't much longer than a west coast trip, and they get a neutral (possibly Pats-friendly) crowd instead of an away game in Tampa.

I have to agree with you. The novelty will wear off. There are people whom I know who have seen it, done it, wore the t-shirt and won't be back. All it has done is raise the profile of the game over here. Mission accomplished. I think they want to take the game to Germany next which will be no bad thing. But after that, no more tinkering. Keep the game in the US where it belongs. :D
90% of fans wouldn't know the rules??? We know that after 15min overtime, the game ends in a draw!!!! :eek:

Im gutted I live 20 mins from Wembley but will be working in Singapore next year :( Still Im coming over for the Cards game this year and will try for a Dec game next year in Foxboro again the following year to make it a 3rd year in a row :D

Scouse Pat: Im a Hammers fan mate...you looked a bit like the Oakland offence tonight mate

I personally agree to an extent that teams giving up home games to play them here is ridiculous but i have this feeling Goodell is testing the waters to have an international franchise, this is the 3rd game in 3 years played in the UK, TV figures for the NFL have gotten very big of late and the game is growing

I don't think a franchise would work though because people in Britain who follow the NFL already have a team but i think that is his long term goal.

And I can't see how an international franchise across the Atlantic makes sense because of the travel problem. So, where is Goodell going with this other than selling TV time and marketing NFL paraphernalia? I don't understanding what his long-range plan is, if there is one.

Say that to all the BAFL players!!!

I feel a little insulted by you! Your being very cliché. Yes; people will say to me 'your all puffs, you wear pads'! But football has a HUGE following over hear. So think about what you write! ;)

Scouse Pat: Im a Hammers fan mate...you looked a bit like the Oakland offence tonight mate

Tell me about it, you were well organised tonight but no offence chief, we should be winning games like that. Thats why we stuggle to win leagues. Chelsea will be laughing their t!ts off.

Say that to all the BAFL players!!!

I feel a little insulted by you! Your being very cliché. Yes; people will say to me 'your all puffs, you wear pads'! But football has a HUGE following over hear. So think about what you write! ;)

You shouldn't feel insulted. I excepted fans like yourself who obviously know something about the game or you wouldn't bother posting here. (Re-read my post.) I've no doubt there will be several thousand people in the stadium who legitimately understand what's going on, yet considerably fewer who will care passionately about who wins. If you sincerely believe that most of the 80,000 will go in knowing the difference between pass interference and illegal contact, I will stand corrected.

You shouldn't feel insulted. I excepted fans like yourself who obviously know something about the game or you wouldn't bother posting here. (Re-read my post.) I've no doubt there will be several thousand people in the stadium who legitimately understand what's going on, yet considerably fewer who will care passionately about who wins. [B}If you sincerely believe that most of the 80,000 will go in knowing the difference between pass interference and illegal contact, I will stand corrected.[/B]

Touché, I agree alot will be there without knowing anything! But Patriots have a big following, so hopefully there will be alot of fans around!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes