PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats will play Bucs in London in 2009 [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL International Series 2009

I hate the Glazers as well but I support United (they were my local team.

About right! ;) All MUFC fans live down south! ;)

No offence Gomezcat, just joking!

The Superbowls are big reason of the support, like the number of Cowboys fan over here!! LOADS of them, because they were big when football was huge over here!!!!

For me it was either Patriots or Lions!!!!! I made the right choice! ;)

If the choice was Pats or Lions... I think that one is a nobrainer. LOL.

Not sure if I should ask this here or start a new thread, so I'll put it here and the mods can move it if they want.

To all our English, Scottish and Irish brothers and sisters, I'm just curious - why are the Patriots so beloved on your side of the pond? Is it because "England" is in the name? ;) Because they're geographically the closest NFL team to England? Because of all the Super Bowl wins lately? Or something else entirely?

No, not the name, though quite a few of us have been to the New England area and there's an obvious Boston/Irish connection.

Call it bandwagon-jumping if you like, but I think that it's natural in choosing a team that you don't pick an obviously dysfunctional one. I mean who now would start to root for the Raiders or the Lions? (I started following the Pats in 81-82 -- 2-14 season, Sullivans in charge -- so that theory doesn't work in my case!)

Not sure if I should ask this here or start a new thread, so I'll put it here and the mods can move it if they want.

To all our English, Scottish and Irish brothers and sisters, I'm just curious - why are the Patriots so beloved on your side of the pond? Is it because "England" is in the name? ;) Because they're geographically the closest NFL team to England? Because of all the Super Bowl wins lately? Or something else entirely?
No offence to any English Pats fans, but it sure isn't because of Enlgand in the name! :D
There are 6 of us at work who have followed the NFL for about 10 years now and over that time we have developed a liking for certain teams. Redskins for one because of John Riggins, Eagles for another because he found out that the old Vets stadium had a courtroom attatched to the stadium to deal with all the violence and the drunks on gamedays . His kind of fans! :confused:
Falcons for another because he had visited there and M.Vick was just starting out. Denver for another because of relatives living there. GBay for one because of the history and their colours.
Personally,for me, my love of the Patriots started when Brady took over from Bledsoe in 2001 and going on to win the SB. For some reason, I started to look for their games and wanted them to win. The play-off game against Oakland in the snow sealed the deal. Beating the arrogant Rams in the final was the icing on the cake! So that was it for me. Absolutely nothing to do with England in the name. :D

OTOH, if they were named the New France Patriots...

Not only do we have the BAFL, Official Website of the British American Football League, we also have the BUAFL, BRITISH UNIVERSITIES AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE OFFICIAL SITE, just to confuse you further!

As a season ticket holder, you should be guaranteed an offer for tickets. Probably decent ones as well, better than the endzone ones my workmates have been given for the 2 previous Wembley games. We will be applying again this year and if we get spares we'll keep you in mind. Likewise, if you get the chance of tickets and you have spares, could you let me know. ;)

What's a PM? :confused:

If anyone season ticket holders are offered tix to this game, they'd likely be Tampa Bay fans, as it's their home game being transferred overseas. Thanks for the kind thought of keeping me in mind should you land ducats. By the way, PM = personal message via this site.

I love to go to Patriots road games and I love Europe. I'm there!

Re: NFL International Series 2009

About right! ;) All MUFC fans live down south! ;)

No offence Gomezcat, just joking!

Tell me about it. The number of "Man U" fans down here is seriously irritating.

I'm happy with the C*ckney Reds who have been around since United were average, but the rest... well...

OTOH, if they were named the New France Patriots...

I'd have probably been a Saints or Vikings fan...

My best mate was a Pats fan. They also played in Red back then (86), as you all know, and that's my favourite colour. It turned out to be a good choice... eventually.

One of the things I love about Football is that every dog can have its day. One day, Detroit may have a decent owner, draft well and get a HC who knows what they are doing. I hope they do, because I have a soft spot for them.

Just assure me that this whole thing isn't some vicious Royalist trap to lure naieve, unsuspecting Colonial rubes over to Merry Ol' England and then hang them for treason against the Crown. :confused:

As a Civil Servant of Her Majesty's Government, I am bound by the provisions of the Official Secrets Act. I can, therefore, offer no further comment, Mr Pissah.

The recent interest, as Calumcee said, comes down to winning. Waspie on Ukpatriots puts it well when he says that the true test of a fan is whether you stay on the bandwagon when they start losing.

There are also a load of us who started supporting the Pats in the 80s (when the sport first came on telly over here). I think Mike has covered that. He's also right to point out the Irish connection.

One of the things I love about Football is that every dog can have its day. One day, Detroit may have a decent owner, draft well and get a HC who knows what they are doing. I hope they do, because I have a soft spot for them.

I do aswell!! As I said it was them or Pats! And I have a friend who lives just outside Detroit!

As a Civil Servant of Her Majesty's Government, I am bound by the provisions of the Official Secrets Act. I can, therefore, offer no further comment, Mr Pissah.

Can you get me James Bond's autograph? :D

Can you get me James Bond's autograph? :D

Ahem. I would have to ask you to fill out form ZS-15-W(A) in triplicate, email it to me, fax it and send it via post. I would then need to stamp each copy four times, have it signed off by my four levels of management, send it over to Bond's department for consideration and then have you vetted.

Oh, and that would be just to consider the request...

Bloody heck!

How about Chief of Staff Bill Tanner then? Or even Miss Moneypenny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes