PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McKenzie is done for the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rookie LB McKenzie Out For 2009

not getting any lb help is going to kill this team

I don't think that's true but if they do need help there is always the trade avenue, remember the season is a few months away. It's not the Pats will play a game anytime soon here.

If that were the case, Benjamin Watson would have been done, too.

He may be done for 2009, but let's not pronounce his career done just yet.

Watson is an exception given he was a first round draft choice; obviously, you invest that much in a player, a) he is a rare, talented, physical-gifted athlete who already has a physical edge over most other players; and b) you are willing to sacrifice the roster spot and wait/hope for him to heal and return to form.

McKenzie will enjoy neither luxury.

Look, I'm rooting big time for him, but just being realistic.

I don't think anyone is surprised. Personally, I didn't expect much from him in 2009. I never expect much from developmental rookies. He will have a year to rehab and learn and will be expected to take Bruschi's roster spot in 2010.
==================
There is no question that we are thin at linebacker, no matter how much confidence Belichick has in who we have.
==================
OLB: Thomas, Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain, Redd
ILB: Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Alexander
==================
The good news is that this is as good as we had last year.
==================

Perhaps we are. However, please consider that

1) The offense is much better in 2009. The defense will be under much less pressure.
2) This group is about as good as last year's linebackers, EVEN IF ALL WERE HEALTHY. They were not. Having a healthy Thomas is a huge plus. Vrabel's contributions last year are greatly overrated. Clearly Belichick thought it was time to move on.
3) I suspect that you have underestimated the contributions Belichick expects from Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain and Redd. Belichick knows those players and CHOSE not to make any draft picks at OLB, and only a developmental pick at ILB.

the pats are in trouble with this group

Given this injury, were we to sign JT I wouldn't be surprised to see AD play some ILB.

I'm pretty unhappy about it, but I wouldn't say the pats are as doomed as a lot of people seem to believe.

w/the safeties on this roster I think the pats could easily suck up a lot of snaps in big nickel.

let's stay positive about crable and woods on the outside.

All the more reason we should have drafted Rey Maualuga, still can't believe we passed on that kid at the top of Round 2.

Poor bastard.
The guy has really had a rough four years, and finally had a great moment getting drafted. No sooner...

I was very excited for him - my favorite draft pick.

What a shame.

That sucks to be injured in the first mini-camp of your rookie season. I hope this doesn't set him back in the learning curve any and McKenzie can come out and be a force in 2010. I was really looking forward to watching him play. :mad:

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the other mckenzie thread?

Poor bastard.
The guy has really had a rough four years, and finally had a great moment getting drafted. No sooner...

I was very excited for him - my favorite draft pick.

What a shame.

it's a tough break, but still beats working at the hampton inn, or whatever he was doing.
I think I feel worse for the people who are still there.

Damn, that really sucks. I feel real bad for the kid, everyone knows his story, hopefully he'll contribute down the line. Unfortunately, we could've used him this year, for sure.

Yeah. :( :( :(

Poor guy.

On the plus side, the money he will get, whatever it is, surely feels like a LOT to him given his background.

And if the worst happens, and his career is FUBARed, maybe being with the Pats turns out to be a head start towards coaching.

He's a lot better off than if this had happened while he was still in college.

Let's hope fervently that he comes back from the injury fine, and even with his speed undiminished.

With the loss of McKenzie, who I was really excited about, Antonio Appleby has a much greater chance of making this team. Having a guy that already has some experience in the system means we can plug him in that much earlier, and he seems like a guy that might be able to play a run-stuffing role on this team. Here is some interesting info and some quotes I found on Applyby.
If we don't expect too much from him, maybe he can be a nice contributor to this team, especially as a run stuffing MLB.

(on graduating)
"You come in here as an 18-year-old and you just grow so much as a person,” Appleby said. “[Being able to] just going out there in practice every day with your teammates practicing, giving it all out on the field. You come in a boy and you leave as man, that’s what I’ll remember.”

(on having had three different defensive coordinators in four years at Virginia.)
“I definitely think it’s an advantage [having three coordinators],” Appleby said. “All of them obviously had their own strengths and weaknesses. They all had different personalities but I just did my best to learn what I could from each of them.”

(on football)
"I learned when I was first year here you have to leave all out there on the field,” Appleby said. “That fun and that adrenaline just going through that experience is what it’s all about.”

(A teammate on his 11 tackle effort vs East Carolina)
“He goes out there everyday working as hard as he can and today was his day,” Dolce said. “I remember throughout the week watching Antonio practice and he was just flying all over the field.”

(Al Groh on consistency)
“Last week, [he had] a little revival there in terms of playmaking ... and it continued today,” Groh said. “Antonio is another part of the theme of … being the same guy. And he was much the same guy today.“

(From Draft Guys)
"Antonio Appleby(LB-Virginia) - Like Joseph, Appleby played well enough to make you wonder why he wasn’t at the Shrine Game or Senior Bowl. Appleby flowed to the ballcarrier very well against wide runs and shed blockers to make the tackle like a stout middle linebacker."

Antonio Appleby(ILB-Virginia) - Appleby, like Joseph, seems to relish the chance to hit offensive players. He flows well to the ballcarrier on running plays, and flies to the ball when he has a lane. Appleby has great size, but he doesn’t defeat blockers as well as Joseph.

(Mile High Report draft profile on Appleby)

He is stout at the point of attack,an excellent wrap-up tackler, though he can sometimes try too hard for the big hit. Against the run he is every bit as effective as Maualuga in the 1st round, but he lacks Rey's explosive first step and pent up power.

(from Phinsider) "To give you an idea of his athleticism, he was the 25th ranked LB coming out of HS, but the 9th ranked TE. It could be lucky for us that he stuck to defense. He definitely earns his bread stopping the run; he has excellent football instincts, and usually knows where the ball is. He can find the proper tackling lanes, beat or shed the block, and brings his man down. He is schematically sound, knows where his gap is, and hits it hard. If he gets to the ball carrier, he usually is not getting any yards after contact. "

Virginia's Antonio Appleby Hopes Hard Work Pays Off in the NFL Draft | Bleacher Report

ILB, Antonio Appleby,Virginia - Mile High Report

Draftguys.com - Draftguys TV, Mock Drafts, Rankings, and more!

really bad news: i hv to admit i had high expectations from him since his rookie year

good luck to him first of all; probably now we need further help at LB

at this point i wouild like Jason Taylor arrival in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back