PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Moss, Pats not close; Moss to Dallas possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so?? The story of the SB was the offensive line and how it was manhandled. Brady was hardly focusing on Moss, he was doing a lot of short passing with Welker and barely got those passes off with the Giants pass rush. Now imagine getting those same passes off to Welker WITHOUT Moss stretching the field and opening up the short game. The Giants pass rush, as devastating as it was, would even become exponentially more dangerous. You think not having Moss and allowing the Giants to blitz with Safeties woiuld've helped matters?? If the Giant DLs brought the same game against the Pats without Moss, Brady could get seriously hurt.

Because of the threat of Moss, the Giants decided to risk everything on pinning back the ears of the pass rushers and attacking Brady. Had Moss not been there, that game plan would have been altered.

Just one question. Should the Patriots have waited to jigger Donte Stallworth until after Randy Moss was under contract?

Did they really have to remind Randy of just how tenuous the Patriot's commitment is to a player once his cap numbers climb?

Why would any free agent in his right mind want to sign on with the Pats given their propensity for offering contracts that pay bupkus the first year then escalate? Don't they know that the 2nd year is worthless? Don't they know that the Patriots are just looking to bleed them dry, then toss them aside?

A player only has so many years to make his money. Playing for the Patriots wastes one of those years.

Ken

Reading this post wasted 20 seconds of my life. I want them back.

BTW, Adalius Thomas and Wes Welker's contracts say "hi."

Yeah, Moss was really pissed off when he agreed to rip up his contract and take a lot less money to come here in the first place :rolleyes: He would've been really pissed about making 7.8 mill next year.

Randy happily came to the Pats for less money because he wanted to. I have never ever ever heard of a player being happy to be tagged, not when they have an opportunity for a multi-year contract.

I'm not holding anything on Moss. I was just answering the question as honestly as I can. Without Moss, the Patriots would have used a different game plan by necessity. The Giants would also have used a different game plan. The outcome of such changes is unknowable.

Gotcha, fair enough.

Randy happily came to the Pats for less money because he wanted to. I have never ever ever heard of a player being happy to be tagged, not when they have an opportunity for a multi-year contract.

The franchise tag is an insurance policy in this instance while they work towards a multi year deal.

I agree that Caldwell was not a #1 receiver. I'll also say that I really don't understand why the coaching staff/F.O. of this team has behaved in the way it has this season. From the silent acceptance of the ridiculous punishment handed down by Commissioner Clouseau, to the caving in on the Samuel franchise tag, to the bizarre way they seem to have game planned for the biggest NFL game in over 30 years, I find myself flummoxed by a lot of what this team has done this season.

At this point, Moss not coming back would just be another head scratcher for me. That being said, I fully expect Moss to be a Patriot this upcoming season.

I agree... I want Moss back, but, refuse to be surprised if he is not.

That was my point.

The franchise tag is an insurance policy in this instance while they work towards a multi year deal.

If they knew what he is looking for and knew that they are not going to be anywhere close, tagging him makes zero sense. Randy gave the Pats a break so that he could play with an elite quarterback and prove he could still play. He did just that. Both sides got what they wanted out of this deal. I'm sure the Pats would love him to stay but they are not going to break the bank for him; he may want to stay or he may want to break the bank. Either way, it will be up to Randy, the Pats have made it clear he is free to do what he wants.

Nope, not buying it.

Just my $0.02.

"Me... Me... Me... Me..."

That means Romo will pulled in at least five seperate directions.

TO.....THrow to me
Randy....no Throw to me
Crayton.....you throw to those two too much thro to me (oh yeah will beat the pats again they know we are better)
Glenn....I am not hurt anymore throw to me.

Jessica Simpson....throw it to me oh wait I am blonde dont throw it to me isn't my butt cute.

Because of the threat of Moss, the Giants decided to risk everything on pinning back the ears of the pass rushers and attacking Brady. Had Moss not been there, that game plan would have been altered.

So you're basically asking if the Pats would've won with a worse offense, because with a worse offense the Giants may have played more conservative and thus have fallen into a trap of giving Brady time to get good reads?? I commend you for suggesting that because I hadnt thought of it, and it is interesting. But at the end of the day Moss making the offense too explosive for its own good is not a reason not to sign him.

The Pats may be starting free agency with Chad Jackson, C.J. Jones and

Wes Welker as their receiving corps. So much for our terrific 2007

offense.

The question here would be, where would they be getting the rumor FROM?
I don't think there is a person who ever posted more than 3 times on this board who doesn't understand that this type of info (good, bad or otherwise) would ever come out of NE.
This is a guy reporting from the COMBINE. Is Randy Moss at the COMBNIE? No.

Not only is this a rumor, but it is a rumor coming from someone who wouldn't be in the vicinity of a source with an ounce of credibility or knowledge.

Additionally, how can there be rumors of where players would be going in FA if teams cannot speak to them yet?
Possible sources of the RUMOR:
1) The Patriots. We no there is no chance of that.
2) Moss. How would a guy reporting from the combine be getting info from Moss?
3) The Cowboys? How could the Cowboys know whether they are close or not if they are unable to speak to Moss.

This is why they call them rumors.

Oh no, Moss is on the bubble again!

A better question is whether or not Randy's agent is at the combine.

Additionally, how can there be rumors of where players would be going in FA if teams cannot speak to them yet?

Because this rule is not followed or enforced. The worst kept secret in the NFL is that every year numerous free agent deals are agreed to at the combine.

Just one question. Should the Patriots have waited to jigger Donte Stallworth until after Randy Moss was under contract?

Did they really have to remind Randy of just how tenuous the Patriot's commitment is to a player once his cap numbers climb?

Why would any free agent in his right mind want to sign on with the Pats given their propensity for offering contracts that pay bupkus the first year then escalate? Don't they know that the 2nd year is worthless? Don't they know that the Patriots are just looking to bleed them dry, then toss them aside?

A player only has so many years to make his money. Playing for the Patriots wastes one of those years.

Ken

Damn Patriots, who would ever want to play for such a low lfe team such as NE - they treat their players so poorly and then just cast them aside like an old shoe.

Much better to play for any of the other 31 teams where you know you wil have a job for life and never, ever be treated poorly.

Patriots really are the worst team in professional sports, no question.

Last edited:
IF they weren't close wouldn't they franchise him ?

If they would be worried about him acting like a baby and misbehaving wouldn't they still franchise him just so they could trade him?

i've never seen the pats just throw away value like that. If it starts now, after that frickin superbowl, im going to go play in traffic (just kidding, but i will be mad for a couple days probably)

Last edited:
O, ye of little faith!

The Pats may be starting free agency with Chad Jackson, C.J. Jones and

Wes Welker as their receiving corps. So much for our terrific 2007

offense.

Last edited:
This is why I cautioned fans in another thread not to assume Moss

and Gaffney would be with the Pats in 2008 until they were officially

re-signed. If Moss signs with another team, it would be a major

blunder by the Pats not franchising him. The Pats would revert back to

a patchwork wide receiving corps in 2008. Once Moss hits free agency,

he is a gone goose.

This is just garbage. Sorry, it is. Randy Moss doesn't legitimize the receiving corps. He's just ONE legitimate receiver. Wes Welker is a PROVEN commodity and a legitimate threat, just like Troy Brown was for the Pats back in 2001. Gaffney wouldn't legitimize this receiving corps either. He's a legitimate receiver.

In reality, last year's receiving corps was PATCHWORK. All the receivers but Gaffney were NEW. It just so happened that Welker and Moss are extremely talented. But it was still a patchwork since we didn't know how it would work out.

This idea that Moss is gone if he hits free agency is just stupid. The Pats have as much chance of signing him IF he hits free agency as anyone else. OH, btw, He HAS to hit free agency because he can't sign an extension.

The question here would be, where would they be getting the rumor FROM?
I don't think there is a person who ever posted more than 3 times on this board who doesn't understand that this type of info (good, bad or otherwise) would ever come out of NE.

Not only is this a rumor, but it is a rumor coming from someone who wouldn't be in the vicinity of a source with an ounce of credibility or knowledge.

Possible sources of the RUMOR:
1) The Patriots. We no there is no chance of that.
2) Moss. How would a guy reporting from the combine be getting info from Moss?
3) The Cowboys? How could the Cowboys know whether they are close or not if they are unable to speak to Moss.

This is why they call them rumors.

The optimist in me hopes you're right, AJ.
But what about players agents and personal friends?
You just never know who is going to be there to open their mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes