PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Moss, Pats not close; Moss to Dallas possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissioner Clouseau....LMAO...thanx Angry Zeus

Last edited:
can we wait a few days before judging ? So many rumors go off like this which make us react. lets be patient. The media can write anything they think could be happenning vs the real story. They dont have to substantiate it - just whatever is the juicy story and right now owens and moss gives ESPN and others more fodder for next yr so its easy to start such stuff.
How many times have pats negotiations ever come in public ? Mostly never.
Important to note that moss's agent or the pats not made any comment . Usually an agent would make this stuff public himself to sell his client.

Any person can write an article under "rumor making the rounds at the combine". Hell, this guy on foxsports couldve heard it from tomase :mad:

If Moss went to Dallas, TO and Patrick Crayton will tear apart the Cowboys' clubhouse. I can't see that happening. Both TO and Crayton are always jocking for the limelight. I don't think there is a enough space for those two guys egos and Moss. Moss also would probably not be a great soldier with his WR corp trying to push him out of the spotlight. TO was a good soldier last year because he was getting the ball and being the guy.

I agree that Caldwell was not a #1 receiver. I'll also say that I really don't understand why the coaching staff/F.O. of this team has behaved in the way it has this season. From the silent acceptance of the ridiculous punishment handed down by Commissioner Clouseau, to the caving in on the Samuel franchise tag, to the bizarre way they seem to have game planned for the biggest NFL game in over 30 years, I find myself flummoxed by a lot of what this team has done this season.

At this point, Moss not coming back would just be another head scratcher for me. That being said, I fully expect Moss to be a Patriot this upcoming season.

There's no point in making a threat when the threatened party knows you're bluffing. Franchising Asante again would mean paying him 20% above what they paid him in 2007, and Samuel may not be the smartest guy in the world, but I think he's got enough brains to see that the odds of the Pats wanting to shell out $10M for his services in 2008 were somewhere between slim and none. So, since the Pats probably weren't going to franchise him anyways, why not get the guy in sooner rather than later?

T.O., Moss, Crayton and Terry Glenn....now THAT'S a scary 4 wide set

T.O., Moss, Crayton and Terry Glenn....now THAT'S a scary 4 wide set
they would all kill each other before they hit the field

There's no point in making a threat when the threatened party knows you're bluffing. Franchising Asante again would mean paying him 20% above what they paid him in 2007, and Samuel may not be the smartest guy in the world, but I think he's got enough brains to see that the odds of the Pats wanting to shell out $10M for his services in 2008 were somewhere between slim and none. So, since the Pats probably weren't going to franchise him anyways, why not get the guy in sooner rather than later?

Franchising Samuel would have put Samuel in a bind. He could have taken the one year tag, but that would cost him a long term contract in a sport where injury is everywhere. Had he not immediately signed the contract (the likely situation), the Patriots would have been able to shop him around rather than losing him with nothing coming back in return. That's why you fight to keep the tag. Think about this past season for just a moment, and ask yourself this question:

Does New England end up missing the playoffs or losing home field advantage if Samuel's threatened hold out occurs?

It's ok tom I don't take offense to your post I am just going over all the possible scenarios in my head.

Does anyone on here have any reservations about Moss going forward? I have to say, I kind of do......I'm just not sure I envision the Patriots ever winning a Super Bowl with him. I'm probably still too scarred from the Super Bowl to think clearly, I dunno.

The more I think about this, the dumber a move I think it would be. Ignoring for a second the talent that Randy brings, you need to consider the bond he and Tom have made. And after the sets of receivers Tom has been forced to throw to, after taking Branch away from him before, to now take away a player he has made it publicly known he does not under any circumstance want to leave?

This team is held together and driven by Tom's drive, competitive spirit, mood and calm. More than anything else. Take away Moss and I believe you take away something from Tom that you won't get back.

The more I think about this, the dumber a move I think it would be. Ignoring for a second the talent that Randy brings, you need to consider the bond he and Tom have made. And after the sets of receivers Tom has been forced to throw to, after taking Branch away from him before, to now take away a player he has made it publicly known he does not under any circumstance want to leave?

This team is held together and driven by Tom's drive, competitive spirit, mood and calm. More than anything else. Take away Moss and I believe you take away something from Tom that you won't get back.

cosigns 100 percent!

Does anyone on here have any reservations about Moss going forward? I have to say, I kind of do......I'm just not sure I envision the Patriots ever winning a Super Bowl with him. I'm probably still too scarred from the Super Bowl to think clearly, I dunno.

Well, just consider if Brady loses Moss, what is #12 going to think about his long-term future in NE? Blasphemy, I know, but it still concerns me. The guy puts every ounce of himself into this team, he deserves to have a guy like Moss around. I just don't want to see him go through losing his top target after the Branch episode.

Forget, for a second, the person communicating the rumor. The more interesting question is--where did this rumor originate? What do they stand to benefit from having that rumor go around?

The "rumor" at the combine last week was that zach thomas was coming to the pats....thats how far these rumors go...

have some faith guys...there is no way Moss is hitting FA...a contract has already been laid out and agreed upon

Well, just consider if Brady loses Moss, what is #12 going to think about his long-term future in NE? Blasphemy, I know, but it still concerns me. The guy puts every ounce of himself into this team, he deserves to have a guy like Moss around. I just don't want to see him go through losing his top target after the Branch episode.

Agreed, Brady restructured his contract last season to get Moss, I think Brady deserves Moss and vice versa.

It looks like they have the cap space, particularly over the next couple seasons if they want to offer him a 3 year deal.

I still am hoping this report is off the mark and we're just waiting to hear they already have a deal in place.

This would be a major kick in the balls.

Here's what I think (as if anyone cares).

This is a bulls**t rumor. He'll be back.

Here's what I think (as if anyone cares).

This is a bulls**t rumor. He'll be back.

But the fact that it might be a possibility lingers and its good to get a head start on who else could be available.

I hear you, and I'm sure there's truth to that. But I have to say, there was a part of me that didn't like how Brady and Moss were ALWAYS sitting next to each other on the bench.....in a sense, it seemed to detract from his leadership of the whole team.

Eh, I'm sure they should sign him...

Brady had the #1 offense of ALL TIME. He will not pout and want to leave because Moss wants to leave. I want Moss as much as anyone, but many of the posts are may over the top. BTW, I think that RT Jake Long would be worth as much to Brady in 2008 as Moss.

BTW, how much should we offer to pay Moss in guaranteed dollars?

1) Please post yards and catches for Moss in the playoffs.
2) Please post how many games that you think we would have lost in the playoffs if we didn't have Moss.
3) Please post how many games we would have lost during the year without Moss, and would we have lost HFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes