PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Moss, Pats not close; Moss to Dallas possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they weren't close, the pats would have franchised him. this has gotta be either a healthy dose of misinformation or a lot of assumptions on the rumor mill's part.

I agree. It's all speculation at this point. Peter King was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning and he feels there's a 75% chance he'll be back.

I suppose that's just speculation too but I like Peter King's report better.

I"m mixed on it, of course I would love to lock the 2007 Moss up for 2-4 years but I do worry just a little about his age and personality over time. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if we do get him re-signed but it's not like Brady who has no issues of longevity to me.

I was concerned about this before we traded for him,so I did some research, looking at the careers of historically elite receivers. I found that almost all of them maintain their effectiveness well into their mid 30s until about 36. The examples are numerous: Harrison, Rice, C. Carter, the list is endless. Moss wins with hands, smarts and body control, even more than speed. Those skills will not appreciably diminish over the next few years, and it seems only natural that "character" concerns lessen as a man moves toward his mid 30s- unless you're as F'd up as Vin Baker. I hope the Pats sign him to a long term deal.

Last edited:
If they weren't close, the pats would have franchised him.

This makes the assumption they are willing to pay him the franchise number (7m I think).

If they aren't close, it could be because the Pats have no intention of committing that much to him.

Having no idea of the source of this rumor, I tend to consider this "Randy's Revenge" for the pre-season rumor that he was going to be cut.

His agent couldn't have liked that rumor making the rounds and now, with a few more days to go before a contract can be signed, I can't see why an agent wouldn't do something to generate the interest of a few other teams to see if he can't get the Pats to bid higher.

Given the previous assumption that Randy wouldn't want to go anywhere else doesn't put him in a strategic position to maximize his offer from the Pats. This does.

The rumor itself could be as BS as the rumor that Randy wasn't going to make the team - but it hardly matters. The net impact is to inflate his offer(s) and I'd assume his agent has something to do with that.

This makes the assumption they are willing to pay him the franchise number (7m I think).

If they aren't close, it could be because the Pats have no intention of committing that much to him.

Regardless of where they were in negotiations, there would be a BIG negative consequence tagging him. You could ensure that if they'd done so that would be the LAST time any talented player agrees to a one year "prove it" contract with the Patriots.

It is what it is... whatever will be will be.

If he isn't here next year, someone else will.

As long as eyes wide shut doesn't come back...:eek:

It is what it is... whatever will be will be.

If he isn't here next year, someone else will.

As long as eyes wide shut doesn't come back...:eek:

The loss in the AFCCG with Caldwell was certainly no more crushing than the disaster in the Super Bowl, and was clearly a loss that could be pinned on the defense more than the offense, unlike the Super Bowl loss with Moss.

Last edited:
This is why I cautioned fans in another thread not to assume Moss

and Gaffney would be with the Pats in 2008 until they were officially

re-signed. If Moss signs with another team, it would be a major

blunder by the Pats not franchising him. The Pats would revert back to

a patchwork wide receiving corps in 2008. Once Moss hits free agency,

he is a gone goose.

Last edited:
I'm trying to breathe and be rational....but the uncertainty HURTS :violent:
Come on Front Office, get it done...

Last edited:
If they are to let Moss walk, it would be the worst franchise choice in history. You would really have to question BB and Pioli at this point. It would be a kick to the gut if this were to happen especially coming on the heels of Sub-par bowl 42....I still can't imagine the pats letting Moss go but if it were to happen it would really put a damper on my hopes for 08.....:(

Stupid post of the month...

I agree with joe six pack, that if you franchise Moss, who was basically here on a good will one year deal, then you can't control where he goes and ends up.
If he left the Patriots for any other team i'd automatically root for him to be the pos he was in oakland.
Yes i'm one of those idiot fans where once you decide to take off the jersey I hate you.

This is why I cautioned fans in another thread not to assume Moss and Gaffney would be with the Pats in 2008 until they were officially re-signed. If Moss signs with another team, it would be a major blunder by the Pats not franchising him. The Pats would revert back to a patchwork wide receiving corps in 2008. Once Moss hits free agency, he is a gone goose.

For all we know, Moss and the Pats might already have an agreement in place, and are just waiting to be able to submit it. There's just no way of knowing for sure.

Last edited:
The loss in the AFCCG with Caldwell was certainly no more crushing than the disaster in the Super Bowl, and was clearly a loss that could be pinned on the defense more than the offense, unlike the Super Bowl loss with Moss.

Caldwell just isn't that good.

That was all...

I hope that Moss is back for a few years, but, if he leaves... oh well.

It was real, it was good... but it wasn't real good.

If Moss goes to the Cowboys I will be glad we didn't win the Super Bowl (ducks)

Here me out - if he goes to Dallas, Moss will have been a one-year mercenary, and the greatest season in Pats history would have been thanks in great part to a guy who was just playing for a new contract. Brady-Moss would have been a blip on the radar in NFL annals, instead of the great duo's of Manning-Harrison, Montana-Rice or Young-Rice.

And, can you imagine if NE met Dallas in next year's Super Bowl and NE won?

No, I don't want to think about this, I love Randy in NE. But my expectations are modest.

Brady should step to the front office and make a pitch for Randy, He has giselle who is filthy rich he is filthy rich, so why can't he sign for the league minimum so we can have ridiculous talent?
Isn't winning multiple championship's better then an extra 20 mill when you already have much more then that?
On the flip side what if their was a falling out we don't know about between Brady and Moss?
Maybe Moss blames Brady for the superbowl or vice versa or maybe it's just too painful for Moss to give his all and fall so short like he did last year?
Bottom line is we need this guy back!

For all we know, Moss and the Pats might already have an agreement in place, and are just waiting to be able to submit it. There's just no way of knowing for sure.

I hope like hell that you are right. I will be very pessimistic when

free agency arrives and there is no news for a couple of days.

Caldwell just isn't that good.

That was all...

I hope that Moss is back for a few years, but, if he leaves... oh well.

It was real, it was good... but it wasn't real good.

I agree that Caldwell was not a #1 receiver. I'll also say that I really don't understand why the coaching staff/F.O. of this team has behaved in the way it has this season. From the silent acceptance of the ridiculous punishment handed down by Commissioner Clouseau, to the caving in on the Samuel franchise tag, to the bizarre way they seem to have game planned for the biggest NFL game in over 30 years, I find myself flummoxed by a lot of what this team has done this season.

At this point, Moss not coming back would just be another head scratcher for me. That being said, I fully expect Moss to be a Patriot this upcoming season.

Last edited:
Brady should step to the front office and make a pitch for Randy, He has giselle who is filthy rich he is filthy rich, so why can't he sign for the league minimum so we can have ridiculous talent?
Isn't winning multiple championship's better then an extra 20 mill when you already have much more then that?
On the flip side what if their was a falling out we don't know about between Brady and Moss?
Maybe Moss blames Brady for the superbowl or vice versa or maybe it's just too painful for Moss to give his all and fall so short like he did last year?
Bottom line is we need this guy back!

No offense, but this might be the most irrational & fan-centric post I've ever read on this board. And that's saying a lot.

How insane would the Pats have to be not to be willing to commit $7M to Moss?

I know everyone's nervous, but let's give our FO the benefit of the doubt. They have more expertise on how to build a championship team in one of their fingers than any of us do. They are not stupid, and will make the right decision. Be patient people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back