PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Patriots Exploring Extension With Judon

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
From Reiss' Sunday column this morning:

"4. Judon's deal: When the Patriots restructured outside linebacker Matthew Judon's contract last August, which reduced his 2024 base salary to $6.5 million as some of his money was moved into 2023, it set the sides up to return to the negotiating table this offseason.

Now, with the first wave of free agency over, it opens a window for the sides to work toward a resolution, which they've begun to preliminarily explore. Judon's return from a torn biceps that limited him to four games last season adds a layer to any discussions, as the team will likely want to protect itself with incentives that reward Judon for being on the field."

"4. Judon's deal: When the Patriots restructured outside linebacker Matthew Judon's contract last August, which reduced his 2024 base salary to $6.5 million as some of his money was moved into 2023, it set the sides up to return to the negotiating table this offseason.

Now, with the first wave of free agency over, it opens a window for the sides to work toward a resolution, which they've begun to preliminarily explore. Judon's return from a torn biceps that limited him to four games last season adds a layer to any discussions, as the team will likely want to protect itself with incentives that reward Judon for being on the field."

If Judon says he’s coming here that means he probably isn’t. He’s never right.

Doesn’t take me as a guy that would give the team that luxury or injury insurance. He knows that stuff happens and he will bet on himself if they try it.

Pass rushers can play very well into their mid 30’s. I wouldn’t mind keeping him onboard for the rebuild.
They need to build whatever culture they’re going for and Judon seems like one of the biggest foundational pieces of that effort

Shouldn't they be exploring trade options for Judon.

Kinda old on for a team not expected to be anything the next couple years.
I'd take a 4th rounder for him. Perhaps a contender like KC or Philly, or other's in that contention area get into a bidding war and one of them offer us a 3rd round pick. I'd take KC's 32 pick overall in the 3rd round in this draft (or any 3rd round pick in this draft). Could get a good young player there or use it to trade up, etc. (perhaps use it in a trade up to get Maason Smith to pair with Barmore) I know I'll get roasted for the mere suggestion, but I expect to. Oh well.

Judon is like the only player on the team with any kind of star power... No brainer to keep him here... Production may decline as he ages, but the leadership qualities won't... And on a young team, that is important

Thank you Ian, this is great news.

Judon is like the only player on the team with any kind of star power... No brainer to keep him here... Production may decline as he ages, but the leadership qualities won't... And on a young team, that is important
Agree, there needs to be leaders on both sides of the ball during the transition over the next couple of years. Happy to give him a 12 mill bonus and 15 more spread out over the next two years after the before the season starts.

Man dammm has a relentless motor, love his attitude, his locker room presence. He and my guy Jennings will be a force together off the edge. I agree with you %

I agree. And he has to finish his career somewhere, so why not here? :cool:

Judon is the leader of the defense, but you really want leaders on every unit, Wolf needs to keep that in mind as he is putting the team together over the next couple of years. The coaches can only do so much in terms of leadership, you need guys who lead in the weight room, film study, and out on the practice field to get the most out of each unit.,

Absolutely. Judon is a good leader and a guy you want defining the culture for a young team.
Definitely! Guys got a relentless motor excellent in the community, big locker room guy as well. He and Jennings will be a force off the edge together this season.

Man dammm has a relentless motor, love his attitude, his locker room presence. He and my guy Jennings will be a force together off the edge. I agree with you %
Relentless motor the first half of the year you mean. He falls off a cliff in the second half.

Given what seems to be a sub-par group of free agent options (and the disappointing level of unwillingness to come here), the Pats would be wise to spend on retaining better "core" players already on the roster. Such work isn't dramatic enough to meet the emotional needs of the handwringers and pantytwisters, but it is work worth accomplishing.

Absolutely. Judon is a good leader and a guy you want defining the culture for a young team.
I agree as in someways he seems to have become the face of this franchise, last year at TC he was very active with all the fans as he roamed around the perimeter of the field throwing passes to young fans and occasionally signing autographs.. been to a lot of TC's over the years and never saw that level of interaction with the fans.

Relentless motor the first half of the year you mean. He falls off a cliff in the second half.
In '21 he suffered a rib injury, '22 he had a hamstring issue, last season we know he and gonzo were lost for the season. But the guys a baller.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back