PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Moss, Pats not close; Moss to Dallas possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Tom and Randy are on the phone right now laughing about this stupid rumor. I bet all the fans in D are soiling their pants over it.

IF they weren't close wouldn't they franchise him?

Exactly, this is typical "nothings going on in FA so let's start a rumor" news. Use some common sense, and don't believe the hype!

Exactly, this is typical "nothings going on in FA so let's start a rumor" news. Use some common sense, and don't believe the hype!
i love it when everyone gets all crazy in here though.

It lets me act stupid and really lowers the chances of the mods noticing and reprimanding me.

When things are crazy, you can act like a complete idiot and generally get away with it without having to hear anything.

It's fun for the kids.

I was sure, back before Owens went to Dallas, that Al Davis was going to make a play for TO and get him and Moss in the same offense out in Oakland. That would have been his dream come true since Al is all about the deep ball and passing game. I would say, if Al Davis didn't get it done, no one else will. Prove me wrong Jerry Jones, but I say there is Zero chance of Owens and Moss ever on the same roster when the game isn't being played in Hawaii.

Moss will be a Patriot, simply because it will drive me crazy seeing him run past my safeties next year.

The question here would be, where would they be getting the rumor FROM?
I don't think there is a person who ever posted more than 3 times on this board who doesn't understand that this type of info (good, bad or otherwise) would ever come out of NE.
This is a guy reporting from the COMBINE. Is Randy Moss at the COMBNIE? No.

Not only is this a rumor, but it is a rumor coming from someone who wouldn't be in the vicinity of a source with an ounce of credibility or knowledge.

Additionally, how can there be rumors of where players would be going in FA if teams cannot speak to them yet?
Possible sources of the RUMOR:
1) The Patriots. We no there is no chance of that.
2) Moss. How would a guy reporting from the combine be getting info from Moss?
3) The Cowboys? How could the Cowboys know whether they are close or not if they are unable to speak to Moss.

This is why they call them rumors.

OK, here's a plausible scenario...

A reporter - hell, any reporter - at the combine gets a phone call from his editor, asking why he hasn't gotten any juicy stories while he's been there. This phone call leaves him in a funk.

So, that evening, feeling a bit down, maybe missing the wife a bit, maybe even feeling a little sorry for himself and his predicament, heads to an out-of-the-way bar for a few beers.

While consuming his beer (maybe having a few more than he should have), he lets his mind wander over what's been transpiring the past few days. He stumbles upon, "Moss wasn't tagged".

So he says to himself, "Why wasn't he tagged?"

Then he says (with the beer kicking in by now), "Oh! Hey! I know! Moss and the Pats aren't even close!"

Pleased with himself beyond all rational measure, he has a few more before retiring to his room for the night.

Next morning, off to the Combine, he starts telling everyone within earshot, "Hey, you know what I found out last night?"

And the rest is history (so to speak)....

If we weren't close we would have tagged him. Randy Moss just doesn't slip away like that, especially after a monster season and the fact he and Brady virtualy love each other.

If your going to write sh!t atleast make it look credible. Dallas? Owens would never accept being second fiddle to Moss.

Last edited:
If we weren't close we would have tagged him. Randy Moss just doesn't slip away like that, especially after a monster season and the fact he and Brady virtualy love each other.

If your going to write sh!t atleast make it look credible. Dallas? Owens would never accept being second fiddle to Moss.

I had no idea that Terrel Owens even plays the Fiddle.
this story just keeps getting more and more interesting.

I had no idea that Terrel Owens even plays the Fiddle.
this story just keeps getting more and more interesting.

He's actualy an accomplished musician, having also wrote 'Cry Cry Cry' for Johnny Cash.

Why the hell would Capers be interim head coach? Like is there any reason at all? a guy who can't even hold coordinator job anymore. Its obv going to be Pees/McDaniels or even more likely Scarnechia if (god forbid) BB gets suspended.

Moss, TO on the same team? Hardy har har

I think some of you need this

thumb_kidrocket_panic_button.gif

Click on it 3 times and see if it make you feel any better.

Wasn't the combine talk last year that Adalius Thomas was a "definate" to sign with the 49ers?

Honestly, the rumors swirling around the combine are worse than a women's sewing circle. Moss isn't going anywhere. I have faith in my teams front office to get the deal done.

Until Moss is with another team, I will not comment on this rumor..Other than that I expect Randy Moss to be with the Patriots.. I cant fathom losing Moss, Stalworth , Samual and Bruschi in a month...

Last edited:
Man, I really like my Moss jersey.

Combine rumors are just that..... rumors. Don't buy too much into it at this point.

Does the combine itself talk?

If so, how does that work?

This is just garbage. Sorry, it is. Randy Moss doesn't legitimize the receiving corps. He's just ONE legitimate receiver. Wes Welker is a PROVEN commodity and a legitimate threat, just like Troy Brown was for the Pats back in 2001. Gaffney wouldn't legitimize this receiving corps either. He's a legitimate receiver.

In reality, last year's receiving corps was PATCHWORK. All the receivers but Gaffney were NEW. It just so happened that Welker and Moss are extremely talented. But it was still a patchwork since we didn't know how it would work out.

This idea that Moss is gone if he hits free agency is just stupid. The Pats have as much chance of signing him IF he hits free agency as anyone else. OH, btw, He HAS to hit free agency because he can't sign an extension.
Maybe, I am confusing Randy Moss with Santana Moss or Sinorice Moss.
The Moss I am referring to set an NFL record for touchdowns by a wide
receiver and had his way with the cornerbacks he faced for most of
the season. Rather than call him a legitimate receiver, I would say
that he is a damn good one.

Wes Welker also proved that he is a damn good receiver. Over the last
part of the season and in the playoffs, he may have surpassed Moss.
He obviously is not the big target in the end zone like Moss.

I think Belichick and Pioli had a pretty good idea what they were getting
when they traded for Moss and Welker and signed Stallworth. This was
not the case when they signed Reche Caldwell and traded for Doug
Gabriel in 2006. Later on, they were still shuffling wide receivers when
they signed Jabar Gaffney.

My observation with regard to free agency is that the Pats re-sign their
younger players before they reach free agency or not at all. They have better luck re-signing older veteran players like Bruschi, T. Johnson,
Neal, and T. Brown after they reach free agency.

Moss owes no particular allegiance to the Pats. He was not a part of
their Superbowl teams. He showed his detractors that he can perform at
a high level, so he can now cash in on his exploits. In my opinion, he
will not check back with the Pats if he gets an acceptable offer elsewhere.
Now, hopefully, my theory may go up in smoke when the Pats re-sign Moss
one minute after free agency begins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes