PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos fumble: Forced to release Dumervil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditch Abraham! Let's get Dumervil. I swear getting Dumervil would be HUGE for us, with Jones on the other side, along with re-signing Talib for the secondary.

Ditch Abraham! Let's get Dumervil. I swear getting Dumervil would be HUGE for us, with Jones on the other side, along with re-signing Talib for the secondary.

At 10 M a year? No thanks What if they dump abraham and lose out on dumervil? Then screwed. Besides some think a deal is almost done

Anyone know how this will affect their cap?

I clearly don't understand the numbers. His original bonus was only $3M. His guaranteed years have been paid.

It's not as easy as signing tomorrow. All of the remaining guaranteed money on his contract just hit Denver's cap. Spotrac has that at $4.8M, 2/3 of which is new dead money.

"Erika Leigh ‏@_ErikaLeigh
What?! RT @mikeklis: Hold on, contract not filed in time. Elvis Dumervil has been officially released"

If this is accurate you can bet he won't see 8m on the market like he was about to get from Denver.
Schefter confirmed via Twitter:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Elvis Dumervil's contract not filed with NFL in time. Dumervil released, as Denver Post released.

What's his dead hit for this year? Anyone know?
$4.8M. $1.6M of that was going to be paid if he was on the roster or not, and $3.2M hit the cap when they released him.

So signing him to the same contract tomorrow would cost the Broncos $3.2M in cap room as opposed to redoing his old contract without releasing him.

The Broncos go from one of the best moves in free agency on Wednesday to one of the most boneheaded moves of any offseason ever today.

Maybe, but if you're an old time Patriot Fan, the magnitude of boneheadedness will never quite be matched.

Great article about Upton Bell, Bucko Kilroy chapter.

One player mistakenly given his freedom? lol

With a franchise as troubled as the Patriots, I was never at a loss for problems - like the time shortly after I came onboard when we almost lost the entire team.

The first major event of my tenure was the league meeting held in Palm Beach in March 1971. Before I left, I instructed my staff to send out option letters, an automatic procedure by which every team renews the options of each player under contract. Back from Florida a week later, I got a call from the attorney for Phil Olsen, a former first-round-pick defensive lineman who had previously told me he wanted to leave the team.

“Thanks, Upton,” said the attorney. “It's wonderful that Phil's a free agent.”

“What do you mean?” I said. “He's under contract.”

“No. He never got his option letter, so I'm declaring him a free agent.”

Turned out it wasn't only Olsen's letter that had not been sent. None of them had. And with the deadline past, every player was technically a free agent. The whole team. I had been in Boston for barely a month, and my entire team was gone. The saving grace was that, as far as I could tell, the only player who recognized this was Olsen.

Bucko Kilroy was hired from the Cowboys to run my scouting, and when I told him the situation, he was speechless. “If we send them an option letter now,” I said, thinking aloud, “it will call it to their attention. Why don't we just send them all new contracts?” So we did, even giving some players a little bonus, which shocked more than a few since the Patriots franchise wasn't exactly known for its generosity. The whole thing took three months. Ninety days of getting up each morning wondering if this was the day the gaffe would blow up. But it never did.
Settling the Score | Boston Magazine

I just heard on the radio, the Broncos didn't file the Dumervil restructured contract in time and were forced to cut him because they would have to pay him his bonus. Ooops.

Ouchie... Sounds like something the Jets would do. :cool:

Sign him just for a big FU to Elway.

I clearly don't understand the numbers. His original bonus was only $3M. His guaranteed years have been paid.
Delayed guaranteed money. Not a signing bonus, but still has to be paid if he's released.

@Jeff_Legwold: Dumervil's release gives #Broncos huge dead money hit. Limits ability to bring him back with a "new'' deal

Ray, Best Post of the New Year

Good times! Good Times!

@Jeff_Legwold: Dumervil's release gives #Broncos huge dead money hit. Limits ability to bring him back with a "new'' deal

Figured that would be the case - at the very least, him being on the market should drive down the price for guys like Freeney and Abraham. Best case scenario, the Pats might be able to get him for fairly cheap, since a lot of the other teams that might want him have already signed lesser players.

I dunno if I'd call $3.5M a 'huge' hit though.

...................:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Made funnier because of the way a lot of media was stroking Elway for always getting it right, Even if this wasn't his fault, that makes it funnier.

Sign Dumervil, draft DeAndre Hopkins and we'd have "NUKE" and "DOOM" on the team.

Donks Elway trying to cheat again like they did with the salary cap to win their SBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back