PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos fumble: Forced to release Dumervil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I addressed some of this in the other thread, but you don't want Dumervil doing what Ninkovich did this past season. You want him doing what Carter did two years ago.

Dumervil's best position would be the Leo in the 4-3 Under, which is what the Pats ran a variation of in 2011 until Carter got hurt. This would let Dumervil be out wide and rush the passer without having to worry about defending the run a whole lot. That'd probably put Armstead (or one of the many gap-shooting draft prospects) at the 3-tech, Wilfork at the 1, and Jones a somewhat questionable fit at the other DE spot. Jones is big and can play the run just fine against a tackle, but he's not a guy I'd want taking on double teams and it'd definitely affect his pass rush opportunities. The 4-3 Under LE prototype is Red Bryant, who is 330 pounds. That's not Jones. I could see it working maybe if they move Jones out a little bit to give him a better angle on the RT, with the goal of having two run-defending studs in Wilfork and Spikes to pick up the slack up the middle. Other than that, I'm not really seeing how Dumervil fits.

Couple off topic questions for you since you seem to have a good level of knowledge of that front.

1. Do you see Bennett taking the LE position and Bryant moving inside to replace Branch? Avril as the Leo?
2. Do you think Armstead would be a good fit for the LE if we drafted a DT to play the 3-tech?
3. Do you think Jones could play the Leo position in that front?

I ask because I'm a really big fan of that front and the things Seattle was able to with it.

That's what I'm thinking too, and that would be my main concern as far as how expensive he would likely come, particularly for a part-time player.

Of course you could also take this specific 2013 free agent market into account and claim that a guy like Dumervil may be ripe for the picking, due to the NFL free agent economy. If that ends up being the case then I much rather would have seen a guy like Michael Bennett at 1/5, and/or even an additional CB/S signing too.

To be honest I don't particularly want to sign any of them. I'd prefer that Bequette, Cunningham or Francis was able to step up and actually be a 3 down player or we drafted a 3 down player.

Or if we could actually trick the Browns into a Mallett for Taylor deal and then Armstead was able to be our LE.. But that's a dream

.....and the Patriots ~$17 million under. I just checked their site.

It says we're 17m under with blanks for the cap hits of:
Adrian Wilson
Niko Koutouvides
Kyle Arrington.

We aren't 17m under.

It also has BMore as 11m under and Pitt as 3m under.

Pitt isn't pursuing anyone and Baltimore wants Reed back.

It says we're 17m under with blanks for the cap hits of:
Adrian Wilson
Niko Koutouvides
Kyle Arrington.

We aren't 17m under.

It also has BMore as 11m under and Pitt as 3m under.

Pitt isn't pursuing anyone and Baltimore wants Reed back.

Yeah I'd like some explanations from the spotrac site as to why they had Pittsburgh having 13 million left just this afternoon....but then again, I don't really care :D

If they only have 3 million then now is indeed the right time to pounce on Sanders if that's what they choose to do.

I have a feeling that the league meetings may be fruitful in our quest to find a WR one way or another.

The other of course, calls it a viscous cycle, which is the thinking that you and I have--along with the majority of fans here.

That's actually a vicious cycle.

A viscous cycle is the slow slog through the Jersey swamps of the New York JEST, as they seek to find the promised land of 8-8 mediocrity. :D

One thing I have to admit has made me happier lately is seeing their more aggressive approach in extending players early.

I guess our options would be Spikes, McCourty, and Solder. Anyone else come to mind?

I'm thinking McCourty is done sometime next year, possibly during the offseason or summertime of 2014 before the season starts. I think he may be looking at the high end of the safety market, something in range with what Goldson just got (5/42 IIRC). That would allow him to still make 8--8.5 million aav and not lock him into the safety status, but rather put him in-between the 2 positions which he should fine pretty fair and reasonable.

I think that Solder and Spikes would be the 2 to keep an eye on, although they may want to see another year of Spikes before assessing him 100%. He has still been somewhat of an inconsistent player at times, especially prior to this last season.

Too soon for Solder.

McCourty is a possibility but i don't think they will go anywhere near 8 million a year, 5-6 is more likely. I could see them coming up with a team friendly 30 for 5 type of deal. He isn't getting 40 million.

Spikes is going to be a big problem imo. I think he's a great run stuffer and a playmaker, as well as a major physical force in the middle, and i love the mental impact those huge hits have on opponents. The Problem is that he sees himself as a star and the Patriots are going to label him a run stuffer and they aren't going to give him 50 million, and I think when it comes time that's the kind of money he is going to demand. The question becomes whether to trade him now or let it run its course and see what happens?

If I was going to look at a contractual priority it would be extending Wilfork the way they have Brady, so he's here for at least 5 more years. , which would be the end of his career or real close to it.

That's actually a vicious cycle.

A viscous cycle is the slow slog through the Jersey swamps of the New York JEST, as they seek to find the promised land of 8-8 mediocrity. :D

It may be the pesky autocorrect feature which often puts in contextually wrong but English words into my posts

Dumervil was unimpressed with Denver's offer, he's set to start making visits over the next few days. If there was truly interest, we'll soon find out.

I doubt anything surfaces due to this, supposedly we're just waiting on Abraham to lower his asking price, his preference is supposedly NE over Denver, he just wants a little more out of the deal. (take all that for what it's worth, combination of reports there)

Who uses fax machines in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft