PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Kraft pay Bill a lot of money to play nice?

ahmed

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It was reported in the past Bill's salary was $25MM a year. It was also reported he had a year left.

If I were Bill, I would have asked Kraft to pay me to play nice. Bill would get paid the last year when fired anyway. But would Bill make him pay double to play nice?

I would have!

Edited out $25MM figure from title as that was just out of my ass. One could argue so is this post.

Last edited:
Just a hypothetical. Kraft worked really hard to make it seem it was a mutual decision and did not want to trade Bill "out of respect".

He clearly wants it to be as amicable as possible to avoid as much PR blowback as possible especially if we get worse from here.

Kraft clearly needed and wanted Bill to play ball. Why would Bill play nice with the guy who fired him for free?

Just a hypothetical. Kraft worked really hard to make it seem it was a mutual decision and did not want to trade Bill "out of respect".

He clearly wants it to be as amicable as possible to avoid as much PR blowback as possible especially if we get worse from here.

Kraft clearly needed and wanted Bill to play ball. Why would Bill play nice with the guy who fired him for free?
Very cynical take. This is not an episode of Succession. Why can’t you believe Kraft is appreciative of BB helping to make his asset increase by billions in value.
Kraft is not an evil tycoon

Oh I very much believe that Kraft is very appreciative of what Bill did for him. He would have to be psychotic not to be.

My point is Bill had the leverage to make this look as good as possible for Kraft's PR. Why should Bill play nice for free?

The amount of times Schefter said Kraft took the high road in not looking for a trade I am sure is part of the price of him getting the scoop. Also shows how desperate Kraft is to control the narrative.

If you are Bill, would you not get pissed for getting fired after 6 SBs. How many people do you know who get fired from a company after 20+ years of loyalty and then play nice with said employer?

I am not trying to stir any ****; just an interesting thought.

Some people are very naive. They’ve been negotiating how this would play out since Monday. Kraft wanted the good optics, Belichick his money. Zolak and Breer spoke about it today.

bdd.jpg

Kraft doesn't care so much about the optics that he didn't squeeze Bill a little bit about the money.

I think all that stuff about compensation was two things: one, to signal to other teams that they would pay dearly if they tampered with Belichick or the staff prematurely, and two, to prepare Bill for the concessions he would have to make.

Simply put, with Jerod on board as the next coach, they could've strung Bill along as long as possible, making it difficult him to find another team and to put together a staff. They probably also figure that Mayo is going to have difficulty putting together a staff.

This wasn't as nice or amicable behind the scenes as they made it seem. It couldn't have been.

My guess is Belichick paid back some of the money in return for taking some staff with him.

Who gets Covington? That defensive line is fantastic.

Kraft doesn't care so much about the optics that he didn't squeeze Bill a little bit about the money.

I think all that stuff about compensation was two things: one, to signal to other teams that they would pay dearly if they tampered with Belichick or the staff prematurely, and two, to prepare Bill for the concessions he would have to make.

Simply put, with Jerod on board as the next coach, they could've strung Bill along as long as possible, making it difficult him to find another team and to put together a staff. They probably also figure that Mayo is going to have difficulty putting together a staff.

This wasn't as nice or amicable behind the scenes as they made it seem. It couldn't have been.

My guess is Belichick paid back some of the money in return for taking some staff with him.

Who gets Covington? That defensive line is fantastic.
Thing is, neither side wins playing cut throat.

If Bill is going to coach again he needs one of Robert’s buddies in the owners’ club willing to sign the checks. Bob has to hire a new HC to replace Bill. Neither of them needs headaches, and there’s not enough benefit to them to justify the headaches.

Thing is, neither side wins playing cut throat.

If Bill is going to coach again he needs one of Robert’s buddies in the owners’ club willing to sign the checks. Bob has to hire a new HC to replace Bill. Neither of them needs headaches, and there’s not enough benefit to them to justify the headaches.
Agree neither want the headaches, but I bet Bill paid so he could have some of his assistants instead of drawing it out.

As for paychecks, Belichick is indeed going to have to ask the new owner for some money so that the owner remains committed to him for a certain number of years. He can't become the head coach and say, yes, Kraft is paying me for next year, you don't need to pay me anything.

It has to be at least a 3 yr $30m deal for him in addition to the Kraft money simply to make it painful for the new owner to fire him.

It was reported in the past Bill's salary was $25MM a year. It was also reported he had a year left.

If I were Bill, I would have asked Kraft to pay me to play nice. Bill would get paid the last year when fired anyway. But would Bill make him pay double to play nice?

I would have!

Edited out $25MM figure from title as that was just out of my ass. One could argue so is this post.
I don’t think so. I think belichick has a lot of respect and a lot of good feelings about what happened on his watch. He has always been respectful and a team player.
Going along with the “mutual decision” story didn’t cost him anything and allowed it to end amicably.

He was either keeping his job or getting the 25 mill, no need to extort more.
When you read the comments from people who have played for belichick they all credit him with being a high character guy. It’s not in him to “talk outside the family” to prove a point.

Agree neither want the headaches, but I bet Bill paid so he could have some of his assistants instead of drawing it out.

As for paychecks, Belichick is indeed going to have to ask the new owner for some money so that the owner remains committed to him for a certain number of years. He can't become the head coach and say, yes, Kraft is paying me for next year, you don't need to pay me anything.

It has to be at least a 3 yr $30m deal for him in addition to the Kraft money simply to make it painful for the new owner to fire him.
Whatever the new team pays him this year is subtracted from what Kraft owes him

Oh I very much believe that Kraft is very appreciative of what Bill did for him. He would have to be psychotic not to be.

My point is Bill had the leverage to make this look as good as possible for Kraft's PR. Why should Bill play nice for free?

The amount of times Schefter said Kraft took the high road in not looking for a trade I am sure is part of the price of him getting the scoop. Also shows how desperate Kraft is to control the narrative.

If you are Bill, would you not get pissed for getting fired after 6 SBs. How many people do you know who get fired from a company after 20+ years of loyalty and then play nice with said employer?

I am not trying to stir any ****; just an interesting thought.
This is one of the issues i have with Kraft.
There was zero chance of a trade. The only way there would be a trade was if Kraft agreed to keep BB and BB quit. He wouldn’t do that because he would be hurting his new team. Kraft would only be able to get rid of bb by firing him and then there is no comp.
Yet Kraft dances around that to make it look like it was some magnanimous move by him.
He does that often. He turns every situation into trying to prove what a great guy Bob Kraft is.

I believe Kraft paid Belichick whatever was due on the contract.

Whatever the new team pays him this year is subtracted from what Kraft owes him
Unless they ripped up his contract, by mutual agreement.

Unless they ripped up his contract, by mutual agreement.
Why would bb agree to that? He’s handing over 25 mill that he is entitled to and getting nothing in return.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back