PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos fumble: Forced to release Dumervil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a dumb question but this "dead money" goes somewhere, I am assuming to Dumervil? Can't he just sign for a 2013 at $5MM and its the same difference as restructuring at $8MM?

Dumervil has already gotten the dead money. That was already paid to him. He has already agreed to go from $12 million salary to $8 million. Why would he take another $3 million cut?

Probably a dumb question but this "dead money" goes somewhere, I am assuming to Dumervil? Can't he just sign for a 2013 at $5MM and its the same difference as restructuring at $8MM?

It's all accounting, no money actually changes hands because of this. It's money that was already paid to him when he signed, but that for accounting purposes had its cap hits spread out over the life of the contract. Once the contract is terminated, any money that has already been paid but was assigned to future cap years is accelerated to this year.

4690099-xs.jpg

I'd love this, but we don't even need to sign him. They're already taking a nearly 5m cap hit because of this debacle without the guy even playing for them. That's going to hurt them more than enough.

...anyways, sign this beast!

Bringing in Dumervil would give a pass rush trio of Abraham, Dumervil and Jones. Since I've not been keeping cap score today, though, I don't know how much would be left in the "We still need WRs and DBs" jar, though.

Obviously, they could just sign Freeney and call it a day.

I doubt 4.254 million is going to be enough to resign Dumervil, but it's certainly a lot of money. And, the bottom line is that by releasing him, the Broncos have just opened up nearly $9 million in cap space to become a free agent player. Not exactly worth celebrating over.

Give me Dumervil and Abraham over Abraham and Freeney any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

So, they'll re-work the contract and he'll sign tomorrow, unless Dumervil really wants to screw Denver.

Maybe his agent did this on purpose?

Elvis the Flying Elvis? Can he rush the passer? :D

They won't get dumervil

yeah pats wont pay that $$ for him...but broncos lose 4.7 M in dead $$ haha

Chiefsplanet must be full of laughter right now.

Bringing in Dumervil would give a pass rush trio of Abraham, Dumervil and Jones. Since I've not been keeping cap score today, though, I don't know how much would be left in the "We still need WRs and DBs" jar, though.

Abraham's a one year deal and it sounds like there wasn't much market for him except for the Broncos if (coincidentally) they couldn't get Dumervil to take a paycut, so I doubt his cap hit would be too high. If the Pats are serious about signing Dumervil, they could start by cutting Ninkovich and saving $2M, if it came to that.

Sorry, in a previous post I left out the miscellaneous bonuses, so it's even better for the Broncos then I said.

If he had restructured (taking $8m in salary this year) instead of being cut, his cap hit this year would have been 9.623m. By taking the dead money hit of 4.869m instead, the Broncos have saved 4.754m in extra cap space viz. the restructure and $9m overall.

It might have happened in a bad way, but this is not a bad cut.

Dead money is cap accounting. Dum already got it years ago.

yeah pats wont pay that $$ for him...but broncos lose 4.7 M in dead $$ haha

He may have only accepted the paycut in the first place because of the slow market for top pass rushers this year. He might only see ~5m outside of Denver.

The big spenders already blew their loads and its the smart teams left who will fight for every penny saved.

It's now being reported that the Broncos did not receive the contract from Dumervile in time, so were forced at 4:00 p.m. NY time to cut him to avoid his 12,000,000 salary from being guaranteed. So, it wasn't the Broncos that screwed up, but Dumervile who was late.

If I'm that agent, I'm a bit nervous right now. Anything less than $8 million and a three year deal, and he's got some serious 'splainen to do.

It's all accounting, no money actually changes hands because of this. It's money that was already paid to him when he signed, but that for accounting purposes had its cap hits spread out over the life of the contract. Once the contract is terminated, any money that has already been paid but was assigned to future cap years is accelerated to this year.

All I can think of right now is:

"Previously On LOST"

A fax machine in 2013? Might as well have used a carrier pigeon.

I think Mark Sanchez must have sent the fax, it got intercepted and then returned for a SCORE :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back