PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos fumble: Forced to release Dumervil

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it more slimy than what the Patriots have done to Mankins or Welker, just for a couple of quick examples?

Sorry, I don't see the comparison at all.

One is a game of chicken that teams and agents/players play all the time. One is trying to trick and almost defraud the other side.

Sorry, I don't see the comparison at all.

One is a game of chicken that teams and agents/players play all the time. One is trying to trick and almost defraud the other side.

The Patriots clearly played games with both players, and in a very nasty manner. Also, I'm not saying that it's just the Patriots. I'm just saying that a lot of nasty stuff goes on. Trades recinded because healthy players "failed" physicals, players who agree "in principle", but then sign elsewhere, etc...

How is it more slimy than what the Patriots have done to Mankins or Welker, just for a couple of quick examples?

What did they do to Mankins? besides overpaying for a guard

Yup -- in fact, it's better for Dumervil that way because he gets an advance in salary of $5 million. The reporting on this is crazy. It's not some massive screw up. It's a guy with a big cap hit getting cut. If he was willing to take less than his contract to sign with Denver, they can still do it and not have to increase the cap hit over what it would have been with the salary reduction, simply by (as you say) making the payment in the form of money that can be spread over the three years.

If the agent was trying to play a game by getting the Broncos to miss the 4 p.m. deadline, or if the Broncos even think that's a possibility though, I can't see them wanting to go near the guy. That is about the most slimy thing imaginable.

According to rotoworld they're playing the blame game, agent is pointing the finger at Denver. Maybe unlikely they'll want to work something out after that.

What did they do to Mankins? besides overpaying for a guard

It's been gone over again and again. You're involved enough in following the Patriots that you know. Have a nice night.

It's been gone over again and again. You're involved enough in following the Patriots that you know. Have a nice night.

Since i don't think they actually did anything, it could be in the imagination of you and his agent. Unless you're like Felger and have the utmost respect for the veracity and upstanding ethical practices of the fraternity of sports agents.

I don't.

Thanks, that situation immediately made me think of something. Fortunately, still available on the intraweb. Good old Upton lived in my hometown, I saw him at the convenience store. That was a particularly sad era for the Pats, pre Fairbanks and after the great Clive Rush.

Being a relatively new fan (circa '92), even though I've seen a few rough years, it always makes me appreciate this "drought" we've had for the last 9 years when I hear about the old days.

Hold on, new info:

Magid claims the Broncos initially had told him that, in exchange for chopping $4 million off of Dumervil's 2013 base salary, the team would add $500,000 to his 2014 base salary of $10 million while also fully guaranteeing $3.5 million of that figure.

Magid said instead, when the new deal was presented shortly after 1 p.m. EDT Friday, the language had been changed to only guarantee the $3.5 million for injury. The Broncos said they made the change because Dumervil had taken all week to accept their offer, according to Magid.

In other words, per Magid's account, the team would have been able to cut Dumervil after this upcoming season without owing him a dime.

The Broncos changed the language because they signed a handful of free agents and had committed more money toward 2014 than they had when they made their original offer to Dumervil.

"That stopped all the negotiations. We had to restart," Magid said. "I had to explain it to him what this meant for him. He took some time to think about it and, in the end, he said, 'I'll take it. I'll go back and play for it and show them what a great player I am.'"

By Magid's recollection, this was shortly before 3:30 p.m. EDT.

It was 3:30 p.m. EDT exactly when the first report of Dumervil's agreeing to a pay cut broke.

"Per team source, Dumervil REMAINS a Denver Bronco!!!!," Michelle Beisner of the NFL Network tweeted.

Roughly 3 minutes later, Magid sent a text to USA TODAY Sports that read, "He is a bronco if we get paperwork."

Magid claims the first contract sent to him by Broncos director of football administration Mike Sullivan contained a smaller base salary in the final year of the contract (2015) than he believed the team had offered. Magid said Sullivan then resent the contract via email with a new, higher number.

Magid was in his office in Pennsylvania. Dumervil was in Miami, headed for a Kinko's, according to Magid.

Magid claims Dumervil sent a fax but the Broncos gave him a second fax number because the fax wasn't coming through. Magid said Dumervil told him a fax was transmitted at 3:55 p.m. EDT, and that Dumervil has a confirmation to prove it.

(USA TODAY Sports requested a copy of the receipt and email transmissions. Magid said he would provide them.)

They tried to change the deal at the last minute! Looks like the Broncos were hoping they wouldn't notice and sign at the last minute...

Flying Elvis Dumervil anyone?

WHY PittPatriot WHYYYYYYY

Because I finally was getting the fibroblasts healing that knife wound...then you just scraped off the granulation tissue. Ugh.

How is it more "slimy" than you characterizing what happened to Welker as "slimy", when clearly all the information that has come to us about his contract negotiations show he was treated MORE than fairly.

1. When they franchised him, they paid him much more than the market'

2. They offered him an above market deal last year that he turned down

3. They offered him a deal equivalent to the best deal he got in FA this season.

Its time to deal with the facts on this issue rather than trying to solidify your rep as the ultimate "non-homer"

th

OOOPS! Elvis has left the building.

As to the question of whether to add Dummerville now that he actually is in FA, I'm not sure. I'd much prefer him to Abraham and Freeney as a pass rusher, but do I want to pay him the $8MM (at least) that would be needed to match what Denver did.

There is a lot to consider. Signing Dummerville would likely preclude signing both Volmer and Talib. Then the question becomes would the Pats be better off signing Dummerville and go with Cannon at RT, or signing Abraham AND both Volmer and Talib.

I think, at least at this point, the Pats would be better off having Volmer back (especially since the pats look like they are going to go down field more often, so elite protection becomes more of a factor), and getting 8-10 sacks from Abraham or the like, than getting 11-13 sacks from Dummerville and have Cannon as the RT.

As to the question of whether to add Dummerville now that he actually is in FA, I'm not sure. I'd much prefer him to Abraham and Freeney as a pass rusher, but do I want to pay him the $8MM (at least) that would be needed to match what Denver did.

There is a lot to consider. Signing Dummerville would likely preclude signing both Volmer and Talib. Then the question becomes would the Pats be better off signing Dummerville and go with Cannon at RT, or signing Abraham AND both Volmer and Talib.

I think, at least at this point, the Pats would be better off having Volmer back (especially since the pats look like they are going to go down field more often, so elite protection becomes more of a factor), and getting 8-10 sacks from Abraham or the like, than getting 11-13 sacks from Dummerville and have Cannon as the RT.

Dumerville vs. Abraham vs. Freeney.

I would believe the cost would range between $4m--$9m.

I'd prefer signing Abraham AND Freeney for $4m each, for 1yr, rather than Dummerville.

Dumervil is firmly on the Ravens radar and they intend to meet with him next week.

Is it too late to get Gholston, have him on the field at the same time as Dumervil, and call them Dumb And Dumervil?

And is Dumervil anywhere near Simpleton?

Disclaimer: Still just making puns here. I am aware Dumervil is a USDA prime pass rusher and all around force on the field. Nobody get your panties in a bunch.

Re: Freeney - does anybody remember whether Mathis had Freeneyesque spin in a circle skills before Freeney showed up? What do we know about how much this was taught and how much Mathis came with? I remember them suddenly both doing this, and thinking "huh, seems like spinning in a circle can be taught." If so, possible lasting-value sweetener for a Freeney pickup. (Didn't google, but if Mathis came after Freeney, same question applies... did he have the spin move before they played together?)

Dumerville vs. Abraham vs. Freeney.

I would believe the cost would range between $4m--$9m.

I'd prefer signing Abraham AND Freeney for $4m each, for 1yr, rather than Dummerville.

Only because you find it hard to spell his name correct :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe