PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos fumble: Forced to release Dumervil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fax machine in 2013? Might as well have used a carrier pigeon.

Uh, for some reason faxes are considered official documents.

What else would you suggest?

Perhaps the agent made another phone call and found someone else willing to pay $8M a year. I think that we will see lots of discussions tomorrow.

And, yes I would sign him to a 3 year $24M contract in a heartbeat.

Maybe his agent did this on purpose?

Elvis the Flying Elvis? Can he rush the passer? :D

When thinking about Dumervil for the Patriots:

The guy has had 37 sacks the last three years, and has averaged over 10 a season for his career.

However, he's way small for the Pats' system. At 5'11", that's a very different prototype. The Pats are big on the DE setting the edge and containing the pocket first.

Then you have a question of Dumervil and Jones, both RDE's. Do you shift Jones to the left side?

Really intriguing possibility. I think the money would work.

We would be a bit flexible and find a way to make it work.

When thinking about Dumervil for the Patriots:

The guy has had 37 sacks the last three years, and has averaged over 10 a season for his career.

However, he's way small for the Pats' system. At 5'11", that's a very different prototype. The Pats are big on the DE setting the edge and containing the pocket first.

Then you have a question of Dumervil and Jones, both RDE's. Do you shift Jones to the left side?

Really intriguing possibility. I think the money would work.

IF BB wants him, he can sign him. Doubt we go after him. Need to focus on DB and safety big time.

Uh, for some reason faxes are considered official documents.

What else would you suggest?

ah, didn't know this. I thought emailing and printing was an option, using a drop box and printing or something else maybe, guess not.

So, they'll re-work the contract and he'll sign tomorrow, unless Dumervil really wants to screw Denver.

The Broncos took a decent size cap hit because of this. Not sure if they CAN work a contract that is satisfactory to both sides with the cap space remaining.

Hahahah, awesome ... oops.

Seriously, how do professional organizations screw something like that up so badly?

Not the same thing, but sometime in the last 10 years, the Vikings got bumped down in the draft because they didn't submit their pick. For example, they were picking 7th, the time limit ran out and the team picking 8th submitting their draft selection right away. I could be wrong, but it may have happened to them 2 years in a row or twice in 3 years.

entirely wrong thread

Not the same thing, but sometime in the last 10 years, the Vikings got bumped down in the draft because they didn't submit their pick. For example, they were picking 7th, the time limit ran out and the team picking 8th submitting their draft selection right away. I could be wrong, but it may have happened to them 2 years in a row or twice in 3 years.

I remember that, and the funny part is that they ended up with Kevin Williams (who was awesome and is still pretty good), while the Jaguars rushed in their pick for... Byron Leftwich. Didn't exactly come back to bite them in the ass.

There was also a weird draft-day blunder a couple of years back where a trade was completed, but only one team made the call to the league, so the whole thing didn't go through. I want to say the Bears and Ravens were involved, but I'm feeling too lazy to look it up.

What's a fax?
My bank accepts pictures of official documents if taken at a decent resolution on my iphone.

I think the agent was trying to pull a fast one. Or he is a moron, or both.

Either side could have achieved these results if that is what they wanted. Broncos could have just cut Doom without offering pay cut. Same result. Agent could have refused pay cut, forcing release. Same result.

But with the agree, then delay, then send a couple minutes past deadline, the agent could have tried to get Broncos to miss both the contract deadline and the release deadline which would have resulted in original deal staying in force, and Doom getting $12M salary for 2013.

As for what they can do to rectify this if both sides want to, Doom could sign a free agent deal with Denver that approximates (closely) the fubared deal that missed the filing deadline. Would have to be something like $3M base (2013), $5M signing bonus, 3 year deal. Cap hit for Broncos for 2013 would be the $4.8M accelerated from release plus $3M base plus $1.7M in prorated signing = ~ $9.5M....Doom still gets $3M base plus the $5M bonus (= $8M salary they had agreed to). Not perfect but close. But the issue is whether Doom and agent would do that before checking the market.

I think the agent was trying to pull a fast one. Or he is a moron, or both.

Either side could have achieved these results if that is what they wanted. Broncos could have just cut Doom without offering pay cut. Same result. Agent could have refused pay cut, forcing release. Same result.

But with the agree, then delay, then send a couple minutes past deadline, the agent could have tried to get Broncos to miss both the contract deadline and the release deadline which would have resulted in original deal staying in force, and Doom getting $12M salary for 2013.

As for what they can do to rectify this if both sides want to, Doom could sign a free agent deal with Denver that approximates (closely) the fubared deal that missed the filing deadline. Would have to be something like $3M base (2013), $5M signing bonus, 3 year deal. Cap hit for Broncos for 2013 would be the $4.8M accelerated from release plus $3M base plus $1.7M in prorated signing = ~ $9.5M....Doom still gets $3M base plus the $5M bonus (= $8M salary they had agreed to). Not perfect but close. But the issue is whether Doom and agent would do that before checking the market.

Yup -- in fact, it's better for Dumervil that way because he gets an advance in salary of $5 million. The reporting on this is crazy. It's not some massive screw up. It's a guy with a big cap hit getting cut. If he was willing to take less than his contract to sign with Denver, they can still do it and not have to increase the cap hit over what it would have been with the salary reduction, simply by (as you say) making the payment in the form of money that can be spread over the three years.

If the agent was trying to play a game by getting the Broncos to miss the 4 p.m. deadline, or if the Broncos even think that's a possibility though, I can't see them wanting to go near the guy. That is about the most slimy thing imaginable.

...If the agent was trying to play a game by getting the Broncos to miss the 4 p.m. deadline, or if the Broncos even think that's a possibility though, I can't see them wanting to go near the guy. That is about the most slimy thing imaginable.

How is it more slimy than what the Patriots have done to Mankins or Welker, just for a couple of quick examples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back